We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocosmia 'Emily MacKenzie'  (Read 740 times)

P. Kohn

Crocosmia 'Emily MacKenzie'
« on: September 30, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
Over the years we have grown many different varieties of crocosmia. For the last three  years, as a bit of fun, I have collected seed from one of those we currently grow.In 2015 the parent was 'Okavango', last year it was 'Babylon', We recently acquired a plant of 'Emily Mackenzie'. Previous plants bought under this name had always been 'miffy' but this was a robust plant with larger and darker flowers than previously and this form has thrived in a nursery bed and set very large seeds. They were sown in February and, much to my surprise, all the progeny are flowering already. (Most 'Okavango' offspring took two years to flower though many just died out (and none resembled the parent though some were good deep reds), and none of the 'Babylon' seedlings has yet flowered. The 'Emily Mackenzie' offspring are all orange (slightly paler than the parent) and some have large flowers or dark central markings like the parent, or both.

I would be interested to know of anyone else has experimented this way and their results.

I would also be interested in information about the more robust, darker form of 'Emily Mackenzie'.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Crocosmia 'Emily MacKenzie'
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 07:45:43 PM »
Hi Peter,

The holder of one of the National Collections of Crocosmia, Mark Fox, used to participate in The Forum and if you look him up on the Member List (top of each Forum page on the main menu) you could possibly email him.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal