We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ponteland SRGC/AGS show 7th October 2017  (Read 5762 times)

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
Re: Ponteland SRGC/AGS show 7th October 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
I'm not sure that the autumn show date in the previous post is correct. The October date given is that of the Discussion weekend in Pitlochry. The date I have for the Ponteland Show in 2018 is 6 October. I will investigate what is happening here.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
Wonderful to have you back with us, Stan!
I'll turn your errant photos for you.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2017, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks Maggi  - it was  a very enjoyable  day out and as always after  my quick gallop round the benches  I look forward  to more thoughtful contributions from others.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
A lot of  very good plants on the benches in Ponteland - and Mala Janes does indeed seem to have exceeded even her own very high standards in that wonderful display about David Boyd and woodland gardens. A powerful amount of work put into that for sure, and with a most attractive  result.  8)

A great shame though, that there were no entries in the novice section.  :'(

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2017, 03:07:53 PM »
Thanks so much Maggi, you are a star!  Yes, very good show again.  Some newbies too, that's always really nice, the beginner benches were full to overflowing, something I've not seen for a while.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

veteran vet

« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2017, 06:48:45 PM »
Late as usual, really good to see we are on page 4 already, had a good browse through all the posts which do give a good view of the show and the plants on display. I am glad to say the Alan Newton and Alan Furness organising team were well rewarded, Alan N having the most points in the Open Section and Alan F winning the Forrest Medal.....have to say they deserve it (in my humble opinion) as the Show ran well with decent entries in all but the Novice section but I did notice some new enthusiastic exhibitors which was very pleasing. Just as pleasing was that at the end we were all done and dusted by 4pm in clearing up, very nice. I did not contribute much in the way of entries, quite how Alan Newton could produce so many exhibits, run the show and keep folk happy I don't know, glad his family are there to help in out when he gets in a fankle.
Not many pictures, mostly repetition but might add a few plant I/Ds and put in a few folk.
Alan Newton, as already mentioned had an OK day, some of his plants were
Tanacetum leontopodium (90), one of my favourite foliage type plants, he says it seeds into his benches, keep asking for one, not arrived yet!!!
Aruncus aesthulifoliius .... was a fantastic colour, to me this seemed a bit different from other specimens exhibited, especially in its colour, so I wonder if he has got hold of a good form (being Alan is quite likely) must ask him. I did by two on the sales tables so watch this space
Alan Furness, as I have already said, won the Forrest with
Crocus banaticus 'Snow Drift', I know plenty of pics already and I have not edited it from the flash but thought it did the job
Crocus mathewii 'Dream Dancer' from Ian Kidman
Cyclamen mirabile from Bob Worsley won the Ewesley Salver as the best Cyclamen in a <19cm pot

veteran vet

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2017, 07:06:17 PM »
Christine Boulby, who has already posted some nice pictures was a bit reticent when she posted a picture of
Clematis heracleifolia 'Pink Dwarf' as photo only did it win its class but it also was awarded a PC by the Joint Rock. My photo is a bit on the pale side. She also had
Saxifraga fortune 'Fumiko' with a Red Sticker as well.
David Boyd will long live in the memory off all who new him and he had an award at this show for the first time, The David Boyd Award for the best pan of Amaryllidaceaea in a less than 19cm pot and this year it was won by Don Peace with
Galanthus peshmenii
Gentiana farreri 'Silken Star Group' from Keith and Rachel Lever (sorry to here Keith has been 'under the weather, to put it mildly' so all our best wishes to him)
Grevillea lanigera prostrata was a lovely exhibit from Robin Pickering

veteran vet

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »
The Millennium Trophy for the Best Foliage Plant at the show was won by Ian And Maria Leslie with
Celmisia philocremna, I doubt there are many of this plant being grown in GB now. They also won the LW Browne Memorial Trophy for the Best Gentian with
Gentiana 'The Caley' 
Bob and Rannveig Wallis, as is their usual, long may it continue, had some nice plants as exhibits, among which were
Empodium flexile, awarded a Certificate of Merit

veteran vet

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
Cyclamen rohlfsianum, also from the Wallis clan
Petrocosmea minor Dark Form from Alan Newton 
And finally, keeping the Forrest Plant to the end
Crocus banaticus 'Snow Drift' from Alan Furness

As already said was a good day, blessed by some decent weather down here for a change, and even more of a change, ,have not felt, from my point of view, 'cream crackered' today.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Sandy Leven's  Forrest Medal report is now online : http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/newcastlepontelandforrest2017.pdf
 Thanks, Sandy!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
Thanks so much Maggi, you are a star!  Yes, very good show again.  Some newbies too, that's always really nice, the beginner benches were full to overflowing, something I've not seen for a while.
Really?  I understood from one of Stan's  posts that there were no entries in the novice section?   :-\
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:42:03 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
This lovely photo of Christine's Clematis was  posted elsewhere by Peter Maguire....

Celmatis heracleifolia 'Pink Dwarf'  shown by Christine Boulby

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
Sandy Leven's report of the Ponteland Show is now online :  http://files.srgc.net/Showreports/Ponteland2017.pdf    :)

All show reports from the current  year, and a great many more  from previous years, can all be found here in the main SRGC Website : http://www.srgc.net/site/index.php/shows/sample-menu

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal