We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dwarf Conifer  (Read 1214 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Dwarf Conifer
« on: September 04, 2017, 07:51:20 PM »
I've had this dwarf Conifer for many years (possibly 20 years ) it's around 60-70 cm high, but no label I'm afraid. I posted it in the Cyclamen thread recently and JohnW thought it was possibly Cryptomeria japonica 'Vilmariniana' (***).

Below are some further pictures that might help.

*** Later Edit: I've just read that this Cryptomeria turns a "deep dusky red in Autumn". My plant doesn't!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:01:27 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Dwarf Conifer
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:48:00 PM »
Well by the close-up it is Cryptomeria japonica.  Maybe it needs cold weather to turn red. :o

Those with an asterisk are candidates:

Birodo*
Elegans Nana
Ryoku Gyoku*
Tenzan*
Vilmoriniana or Compressa*

Have a look through the 9 pages of Cryptos on the Conifer Society website here:

http://conifersociety.org/conifers/search/?conifer_text_search&genus=52706&conifer_taxonomies%5Busda_zone%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_color%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_habit%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_size1%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_origin%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_status%5D&conifer_taxonomies%5Bconifer_trinomial_type%5D

john
21c & sunny after a huge downpour last night.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

John85

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 07:37:51 AM »
I have always seen the cryptomeria changing colour in winter even in a mild climate.
Could it been a dwarf form of tsuga canadensis like gracilis?

ruweiss

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »
I agree with John 85, there are some more dwarf conifers with juvenile leaves.
Many valuable dwarf forms of Cryptomeria japonica are known and available
to decorate our rockgardens.
The pictures are from today, C. jap. Tenzan is about 20 years old.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

johnw

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
Rudi - Interesting to see 'Vilmoriniana' with some age. Our never lasted longer than 10 years before a cold winter got it.  David's plant looks like none of your Cryptos.

Can't be T. canadensis 'Gracilis' either, I used to sell it and they were identical to the ones pictured on the CS site.

http://conifersociety.org/conifers/conifer/tsuga/canadensis/gracilis/ 

john
21c

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:01:24 PM »
About 25 years ago, for several years I experimented growing cryptomeria in my zone 4 climate, I noticed that one year, one cultivar did not change to its normal winter color.  Never did figure out why, since the other cryptomeria types I had did change to winter color that year.  In the end, none were adaptable here, but it is a common genetic feature in individual conifer species to range in winter color change.  Witness all the cultivars that are chosen for good green color in winter (as compared to the normal species).

I have grown Tsuga canadensis from seed and I have never seen any visual junenile features in the foliage, beyond the cotyledons that are not true leaves anyway.  Albeit very small, Tsuga leaves have petioles, and the leaves have a strongly prominent central keel.  Cryptomeria does not.  The plant in question I don't think does.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 07:42:18 PM »
Thanks all for responding. It doesn't look as though we shall get to the bottom of this one.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 10:12:55 PM »
Rick  - All of the named Cryptomerias failed here, some were very tender and any sort of winter would kill them in short order.  Near wind-swept Peggy's Cove there is a 12-15ft tree that defies both winter and salt-spray.  The Crypto was grown by a nearby nursery as Sequoia, I assume from seed.  The nurseryman forgot them on a table outdoors one winter and this one was the sole survivor, disgusted he gave it to a friend and it's never looked back.  Not one you'd select for any attribute other than a truly winter-hardy form. Might be worth running a batch of seed.

john
23c

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal