We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Will the real Narcissus 'Julia Jane' please stand up?  (Read 11133 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Will the real 'Julia Jane' please stand up?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:10:48 AM »
To be fair to Paddy I also had problem seeing the difference or that it would be so big that it would be considred huge. I think it is more training then age that is the clue.
I also agree with Ann when she in her comment 131 in "galanthus February" said that snowdrops are very alike even though I can admitt to seeing more than just two types (Green and Yellow), I also see single and double. :)

So here I think both are right and the solution is training so that all can see the subtle differences that is the difference between good and excelent.

I am not sure I am willing to go that far, in my training, and I think I am more prone to get the differences that I might see in any snowdrops for sale as Ian did in a recent bulblog rather than the real named versions unless they are very different and comes at an affordable price.
But then again I like my narcises double and in all coulors and in the garden not under glass to a price of only 2€ per pack of five so my taste might be questionable.

Hope I did not affend both snowdroppers and narcissers

Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 12:04:23 PM »
Fermi, The Eagle Eyed - well spotted. You must have legal training as you were the only one to spot the "small print".

I just had to take the opportunity to poke fun at Anne. And to clarify the situation - I am only a recent galanthophile. It was my wife, Mary, who started collecting snowdrops a number of years back. Since then her interest in gardening in general has waned a little and their care was left in my hands. Naturally they grabbed my heart and I continued to add little by little to the collection.

I also grow narcissus, especially the smaller ones that do well in the open garden. Ranvieg Wallis came to one of the (reasonably) local garden clubs two years ago, I think, and I took the opportunity to purchase a basic selection of the very small narcissus which are coming on very well in a cold greenhouse. However, I am not yet confident with them and look at the pots at the turn of the year and wonder if anything will show or not. They are coming along now and some are just coming into flower. Of course, Julia Jane is an absolutely fabulous narcissus and one I would certainly welcome into my garden at any time.

NOW ANNE, Are you being really serious about that snowdrop. It looks to me as though someone has been at a narcissus flower with a child's colouring marker and added a few very artistic green marks to the tips. Is this a novel method of introducing new cultivars? Is this a case of 'pull the other leg, it has bells on?'

I have plans to show a good snowdrop next week, one that will attract even those who profess not to love snowdrops. At present it is just developing and should be at its full glory after a few days of good sunshine. Watch this space!

Galanthus and the hundreds of varieties: it often seems, as Chris Sanham said to me yesterday, that we can end up simply collecting names.

Paddy
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 12:07:26 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 12:30:29 PM »
Anne, you will have to bring it to Early Bulbs and put it in front of Joint Rock, then you can collect some seed for Paddy!

I agree with Paddy's last para. Occaisionally we are all guilty of buying a 'name'.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 12:49:01 PM »
David,

Worse still is when I look at pots or in the garden and find that what I have collected is a nice selection of labels.

Paddy

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 01:00:48 PM »
Anne I knew you were an artist but had no idea that you were also good in  photoshop. Lessons please
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2007, 01:29:31 PM »
Ah, Paddy, I also noted the small print! And, yes, I admit it I do have a mild case of white fever (only 3 or 4 dozen vars), but my levels of daff-ness are much higher!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2007, 02:49:47 PM »
What did you say, Anne? Your level of daftness is much higher?

Hope you recover soon.

Paddy

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2007, 03:47:04 PM »
As a brush, Paddy.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 03:55:04 PM by Maggi Young »

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 03:57:22 PM »
AHA! I have been puzzling for some time for a suitable "title" for Anne, now I have it: Daff as a brush !!
This alludes to her talent as an artist, as a hybridiser and a champion of daffodills. I love it, hope it works for you, Anne? ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 05:17:13 PM »
 :P Works for me!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 07:51:56 PM »
Anne,

Believe it or not, I have come on a source for 'Julia Jane' and now I just have to wait to see her in the flesh to be sure it is really her.

Paddy

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 09:02:16 PM »