We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: automatic plant ID with PlantSnap  (Read 852 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
automatic plant ID with PlantSnap
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »
Eric Ralls of Colorado, USA, has developed a plant identification app that so far
can identify over 300,000 plants, and he is continuing to add more.

I saw him demo it on his website - http://plantsnap.net/

I guess the database resides up in a cloud and your phone or iPad beams up
your photo and returns with the name.

Has anyone tried it?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: automatic plant ID with PlantSnap
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 01:08:17 AM »
Interesting; I was involved in a project for the identification of New Zealand trees called Flora Finder. The idea was that you could take a photo of a leaf on your mobile device and match to a corresponding image in a database using what I gather were alogorithms similar to those used in facial recognition soft ware. It worked up to a point but needed a conventional botanical key to be built into the app to refine it.

I do a lot of plant identifications for the New Zealand version of the iNaturalist website and find with a good photo showing detail of the key taxonomic features identification is relatively straight forward. With a blurry cell phone image making an accurate identification can be difficult if not impossible. I am guessing any computer-based system using AI techniques would be face with similar limitations.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal