We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bone Meal  (Read 4936 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Bone Meal
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
Maybe this is a local phenomena but over the last week I've searched a number of garden centres to top up my supply of ground, sterilised bone meal and can't find any anywhere. All of those tried did have stocks of a product that appears to be now called "Bone Meal Root Builder' which is a pelleted product much in the same style as chicken fertiliser.

I add bone meal to my potting mix in fairly unscientific proportions (eg in handfulls) and I bet if these were to be measured one would not greatly differ from 'tother. With the pelleted stuff I would have no idea how much I would have added.

Anyone else spotted this?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Bone Meal
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:41:41 AM »
I have not been able to buy bonemeal in a powder form for a good number of years, David, I expect that it is something to do with 'ealth & safety and not wanting poor veggie growers to inhale the dust. I just use the pelleted stuff as I did the powder. It seems to be the same with most of the powder materials sold to gardeners.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:07:44 PM »
Thanks David. I was able to buy powdered bone meal last year and it came as a surprise to me that it didn't seem to be available any more. My problem still is will my handful of powdered be equal to a handful of the new stuff or will I have over-egged it? (to mix a few metaphors ;D  )
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
Hi David
The nursery I now work for sells "traditional" bonemeal, not much good to you in Devon I know, but  it is made by Vitax which may help you in your search for a local supplier

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
Cheers Lawrence, all the garden centres I tried stock Westland but I think I know where to look now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »
bone meal is not sale anymore in EEC in powdered form due to sanity problem(Inhalation and animal virus). I know only one manufacture authorised to produce powder and sold under different brands (Solabiol in FR, Vitax in UK), the corn are sourced from organic cows. The main production is sourced from industrial livestock (full of drugs, etc).
North of France

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 02:26:03 PM »
David, making my annual order from Elixir Garden i've seen bone meal in powder :
https://www.elixirgardensupplies.co.uk/bone-meal-organic-garden-fertiliser.html
North of France

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:49 PM »
Thank you Yann but I now have a choice of traditional powdered bone meal brands from Doff and Vitax from a local garden centre.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:02 PM »
I got the same shock last time I bought it David.  I picked up some Q4 stuff on sale though, and it smells an awful lot like bone meal to me, but a better gauge is that our dog, Poppy says it's bone meal!  Give it a try....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Erika

Bone Meal
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2018, 01:47:57 AM »
Hello, Now is the time I repot dormant bulbs. I always add bone meal to it but wondered what sort of proportions to add i.e. 10cm pot? Although these are repotted now they are not watered until cooler weather.  Is it okay to leave the granules in the dry soil? I’ve been doing this for years  but thought I’d pose the question. Thanks, Erika

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal