We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71  (Read 27983 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: SRGC Seed Exchange 2017-2018 - Number 71
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:58 PM »
No worries, Lesley - I just wanted to be sure that a discussion on those Iris did not get "lost"  here.
I note also that your original query was about the  mistaken  delivery of hookeri for hookerianum 

( Aropos nothing except Irises  - I'd be happy if 1) I could remember  what the  Iris is that we have a large trough full of - and 2) get the  blasted thing to start flowering regularly!)

It is so lovely to hear of the seeds arriving around the world  - think of the many thousands of packets the Seed Team has sent off in the post!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:58:30 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2018, 04:55:08 AM »
Yay! SRGC seeds have arrived in Redesdale! Unfortunately 2 packets removed - I've just sent a note to the authorities with an explanation of P x chamaeleon as donated by Leena
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15069.30] [url]http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15069.30[/url] in reply 33. I hope they accept that :-\
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

GordonT

« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2018, 01:14:30 PM »
Odd that seed has yet to appear in Nova Scotia. Hopefully it will be here this week???
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

samsgarden

• "the more I grow the less I know" - Anonymous
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2018, 03:33:59 PM »
Curious indeed as to the SRGC main distribution being a no show in Canada so far. I've never watched a rural mailbox for signs of delivery so much as this past week! Anticipation +++.
Sharon
Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada - Zone 5a
-30C - +30C  Average Snowfall 285.0cm

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2018, 09:27:22 PM »
There is something odd going on with mail into Canada this year. I did get a Christmas card
from the U.K.,  though it took a month.

Packages seem not to be coming at all.

I am still waiting for Silverhill seeds sent registered airmail from South Africa on Dec 12,
a printed book of Ian's Erythronium book, mailed Dec 29 and received mid-January in
New Zealand, Australia and the U.S., seeds sent from the UK at the beginning of January,
and seeds from the various seed exchanges.

Maybe I'll need to have things sent to the U.S. and drive across the border to pick them up.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Carolyn

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2018, 09:40:53 PM »
Yay! SRGC seeds have arrived in Redesdale! Unfortunately 2 packets removed - I've just sent a note to the authorities with an explanation of P x chamaeleon as donated by Leena
[url]http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15069.30]http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15069.30] [url]http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15069.30[/url] in reply 33. I hope they accept that :-\
cheers
fermi
I hope you get your seeds, Fermi. I wonder if there is anything else we can do in the seed team to help in future years?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2018, 03:56:26 AM »
Hi Carolyn,
I'll send you a PM as you may be able to help with convincing the inspector that the Paeonia seed should be released!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:56 PM »
Just a quick note to say that the seeds arrived last evening. All other anxious Canadians should be in possession of theirs soon :)
There is no secret that Canada Post goes through difficulties; especially in the winter time the deliveries are very slow.
I know for certain that other countries 'enjoy' the same level of mail service, so....

Many thanks to all involved in this year Seedex!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2018, 06:51:23 PM »
Pleased for you Gabriela and I hope all Canadians have their seed very soon. It's always a worry when postal items known to be in the system somewhere, don't arrive as expected. We too sometimes have such issues though many of ours are to do with border inspections (won't go there). I have had letters from the UK arrive in 3 days while a letter has arrived from Christchurch, 400kms away only after 8 days. Go figure as they say.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2018, 07:04:17 PM »
The weather here is cooling rapidly after some rain and there was a touch of frost in the air yesterday. I've decided to sow my SRGC seed now while as fresh as possible but have also got caught up with a plant list, my first for maybe 10 years or so. (I got distracted by a PAYING job at the Otago Farmer's Market back in 2005s) In spite of one excellent local nursery I've talked about before, the fact is there is little new available to local rock gardeners. I've been able to propagate things that haven't been around for a while and also to include some bulbs, mainly crocuses and the response has been almost overwhelming. So other urgent tasks have to be set aside for now in order to fill orders. Not that I'm complaining of course. ;D and it's great to be in touch again with people who were mail order customers many years ago. People are amazingly loyal and the word of encouragement and even of pleasure at the list's return, are really wonderful and heartening. I just wish my back and knees and heart were standing upso well as they were at that earlier time.  :(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2018, 07:05:24 PM »
Sorry Maggi, I really have gone off topic. It was supposed to be the fact only, that I about to sow now.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »
I'll wander a little myself, by saying it took longer for a parcel to go from the UK to  Japan  recently  than for one to travel in the other direction. Who knew it was "uphill" all the way to Japan??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

kris

« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2018, 10:36:29 PM »
I got my seeds yesterday and most of them are outside in pots at -22C. Thanks for the seeds SRGS.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Got my seeds from the Main seed exchange on Tuesday of this week but not my Surplus Seeds, while the Ottawa Valley Rock Garden and Horticultural Society to which I belong has got it Surplus Seeds but not seeds from the Main seed exchange.
Go figure.

Rob
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2018, 11:32:32 PM »
Post Canada's reputation lives on! (My wife is from Ontario).
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal