We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ferns 2017  (Read 12733 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Ferns 2017
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 02:09:10 PM »
Fascinating Rick, and lovely to see exactly where it lives.  I wonder where the next nearest colony is?
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
I got three new ferns this year. The one on the tophad the label athryum felix femina Dres Dagger, the middle one had a label of triple crown and the one on the bottom has no name at all.  If anyone has views on what these are I would be grateful
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:56:08 PM by ChrisB »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Rick R.

• Hungry for Knowledge
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 03:18:41 AM »
Fascinating Rick, and lovely to see exactly where it lives.  I wonder where the next nearest colony is?

Kenton Seth (from Colorado,USA) was here on a very cold March 17th day, and I took him out to see some the wild areas here.  This is him examining the same rock. Arrows point out a few of the plants, since they are dried up and brown for the winter.  This is the only place that I have seen (so far) where the fern grows with no visible rock fissures.

Technically, the nearest ferns are on the next hill over, on a vertical rock face.  The first rock is west facing.  This one is east facing.
586164-1

But I think the next place is about 30 miles away, again on a clean rock face of a gorge cut by what was once a raging river (now a creek).  This is the same kind of limestone, sort of like tufa: very hard, yet more porous than a limestone that is quarried.
Rick Rodich
just west of Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
USDA zone 4, annual precipitation ~24in/61cm

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 06:33:41 AM »
I like this fern particularly... then he gets over the deepest frost and the biggest heat. Cheilanthes fendleri from Arizona. He stands with me in the full sun and is absolutely resistant to heat and dryness. And the new desires show nice strong hairs.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 02:07:36 PM »
It looks terrific. I've never had much luck with Cheilanthes, grown several from spores but they don't thrive. You obviously have the touch.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
Asplenium trichomanes and Asplenium scolopendrium: both growing on my house.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
Giles when I park up to collect the grandchildren from school both those ferns are growing happily in the school walls along with Ruta-maria.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 07:32:25 PM »
Shelagh,
I've only seen Asplenium ruta-muraria on brickwork, locally, but I keep on hoping...

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
I got three new ferns this year. The one on the tophad the label athryum felix femina Dres Dagger, the middle one had a label of triple crown and the one on the bottom has no name at all.  If anyone has views on what these are I would be grateful
Hi Chris, they look like variants of Athyrium filix-femina 'Victoriae', spores raised from this variety give forms such as these.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2017, 05:19:36 PM »
Thanks Anne!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »

Cryptogramma cascadensis, Cascade Parsley Fern.

Does anyone cultivate this species?

This species has a considerable range in the western U.S.A. however it seems somewhat unknown. I am curious as to its cultivation status.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Ali Baba

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 06:00:29 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Cryptogramma cascadensis, Cascade Parsley Fern.

Does anyone cultivate this species?

This species has a considerable range in the western U.S.A. however it seems somewhat unknown. I am curious as to its cultivation status.

Possibly not very easy to grow, Cryptogamma crispa in the UK is reputedly very hard to cultivate thaough it grows like a weed on the slate spoil heaps in north Wales, as well as its natural sree habitat.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal