We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cosmos astrosanguineus in 'The Plantsman'  (Read 2269 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Cosmos astrosanguineus in 'The Plantsman'
« on: June 02, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
I was very interested to see in the June Issue of 'The Plantsman' the story of Cosmos astrosanguineus by Graham Rice.  As a Plant Heritage member, when we joined we were given to understand that it was endangered in the wild and duly did our bit to split up our plants and pass them on when necessary.  We were delighted to get seed from Lesley Cox in New Zealand and propagated these and passed them on too.  Now we are told that it is not endangered at all and there are several wild populations in Mexico. Graham's article mentions Lesley, Anne Wright and the SRGC forum and includes descriptions of no less than 15 cultivars, selections and hybrids that are being grown, so a success story par excellence :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cosmos astrosanguineus in 'The Plantsman'
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
Don't you love it when a plan comes together?!!
Graham Rice is a good friend to the SRGC, of course.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 12:46:16 AM »
The story of the cultivars is very interesting too. At least one (maybe more) was selected and possibly named by Prof. Richie Poulton, one of the key people in "The Dunedin Study," an internationally respected Multidisciplinary Health and Development Study of children from birth to...whatever age eventually completes the Study. Over 1000 Dunedin children born in 1972/3 took part in the and the large majority still do, many travelling from overseas and checking in every couple of years or so for updates and assessments. Currently those people are 45 or so, yet are still happy to take part in the Study. Richie is currently the Director of the Study and how it comes about that he is interested in Chocolate Cosmos, I can't imagine.

The Study has its own website (I Googled "The Dunedin Study") and it is well worthwhile having an exploration of the site. There was a 4 part series about the Study on television about a year ago and Dunedin people generally have come to think of the Study as their own and be very proud of the work being done and the people involved. I first heard of the Study and of Prof. Poulton from Graham Rice when he emailed me for further information about my own experience with Cosmos atrosanguineus.

I no longer bother with cultivars of it as such because any batch of seed gives quite wide variation in flower size and colour from deep blood red to almost black. My two garden plants are still richly green and bushy even following a few frosts - admittedly light - and there are a couple of flowers still there, though worse for wear following heavy rain this last few days but just two weeks short of the winter solstice. Rabbits have dug and chewed the tubers and left the remains exposed and still they have come away vigorously each spring. Seems I can't kill it!

When Graham emailed me, maybe a couple of years ago, (can't remember exactly) he said he was writing an article about it for "The Plantsman." Would it be possible Brian, to sent me a copy somehow? Scanned and emailed perhaps? Thanks for starting this thread. It's rather exciting to have had a tiny part in keeping a plant from the ignominy of extinction.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 05:01:29 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:57:30 AM »
Will get you a copy by hook or by crook Lesley :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
Happily the RHS has the article free to download -
https://www.rhs.org.uk/about-the-rhs/publications/magazines/the-plantsman/2017-Issues/June/the-story-of-cosmos-atrosanguineus

I will also send a copy to Lesley, in case the article only opens in the UK, as is sometimes the case with such things.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:52:02 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 04:44:14 AM »
Thank you so much Brian, Maggi and also Derek Phinium who sent me a copy as well.

What a fascinating story! So many people involved in working with this species to keep it alive and kicking and available throughout the world to keen gardeners. Graham Rice has done a wonderful job of research and as I said above, quite exciting to see my own name there in a small way. I think from what he writes, my original plant must have been one of those released un-named in garden centres throughout NZ from the Poulter 'Pinot Noir' strain. (From my point of view, it couldn't have been better named! ;D)

I've often had doubts about the "extinct in the wild" claim as it applied to various plants. Tecophilaeas were said to be extinct in the wild at one stage and were then rediscovered. And too, our native bird the takehe (a Notornis species I think) was extinct in the wild but then found in Fiordland on NZ's west coast in 1948. Because one hasn't been seen for a long time, doesn't mean it isn't there. Someone, at the right time may be in the right place to see an "extinct" species.

And I remember well back in 1981 at 'Alpines '81' Chris Brickell talking about plants which were said to be "no longer in cultivation" (he mentioned what he termed "the arrogance of the English" in making this statement, when in fact the relevant plant was alive and flourishing in New Zealand or the USA). It occurs to me that while a very rare plant has appeal for some, I'd rather know that my treasured specimen was widely known and grown and so safe from the "extinct" label. We have sent far too many species of all kinds to that particular graveyard.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
I'd better set something straight before someone slams me for a ghastly error. I have totally mixed up two people who may or may not be related but that doesn't matter. What matters is that the man involved here with Cosmos atrosanguineus is Assoc. Prof. RUSSELL Poulton, a different person altogether from Prof. RITCHIE Poulton whom I talked about yesterday. I hope both men would forgive me if they ever came across my posts here but with luck, neither will. Which all goes to show that as a researcher I am the pits. In fact there was no research at all, just reliance on a shaky memory. I feel utterly mortified but have set things right so far as it possible. And of course I apologise profoundly, to them and to anyone reading here on the Forum.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
Hi Lesley,
    Your reference to ''Alpines 81'' amused me... so I dug out my badge from the event.

Happy days!

Tim DH

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 01:21:50 AM »
Hi Tim, thanks for your comment. It was sure a long time ago but I still remember it with great pleasure. I learned so much then and met fantastic people and saw such amazing plants and gardens. Having said that, I feel nowadays that the Czech/Scottish conferences have a very nice informality which suits not only the modern lifestyle but also New Zealand's (my) way of living our lives so that we feel very comfortable in the very relaxed atmosphere of recent events. Of course I've no doubt the Czechs in 2013 and this year were under great pressure to get everything organized and "right" for their visitors but from those visitors' perspective everything made for wonderfully easy-going occasions. I was sad I was unable to go to this last event in May but 2013 remains a great highlight of my gardening life. As for my "Alpines '81" badge, I've yet to dig it out from somewhere but do still have it. :)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 05:54:39 AM »
I'd better set something straight before someone slams me for a ghastly error.

It should be possible to edit your previous post to remove the error you made, Lesley.  There have been a few times in the past when I have done that, edited an old post after a mistake I made came to light.  I have done it with a clear conscience because this Forum often serves as a source of reference material so it seems best to put the record straight at the source of the error.  If you want to make the edit obvious use the strikethrough 'S' option for the incorrect text.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 05:57:01 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
Thanks Alan. In fact I frequently do make small changes using the Modify button on the right of each post. One of my best friends in fact, that button but in the finish I took the easier way out and just did a new post rather than trying to change the one already there. My life lately has been disrupted and difficult and I probably need a break to sort things.
Cheers
Lesley

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2017, 11:15:46 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Lesley.  I guess I don't trust people to read right through a topic to its end so choose to make any necessary corrections at the source of the error, rather than in a later post. 
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal