We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Storing Helleborus thibetanus-seeds  (Read 1330 times)

arisaema

Storing Helleborus thibetanus-seeds
« on: June 01, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »
How would you recommend storing Helleborus thibetanus seeds to best preserve viability? I'm torn between throwing them in a plastic bag in the fridge, or moist packing them with vermiculite and keep them at room temperature.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Storing Helleborus thibetanus-seeds
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:22:24 AM »
With absolutely no experience at all of H. thibetanus, I'd go for the latter, assuming you are planning to sow the seed at whatever you consider to be the best tide. If you have enough, try some each way and I'd sow some right away as well, fresh always being best, in my estimation.
Whichever of your two options you take, keep a frequent eye on them as there may well be germination in the plastic bags if the seed is of good quality.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »
We've sown directly & kept evenly moist.  Also in a plastic bag with just moist live green sphagnum. Believe the former worked best and as Lesley says they must be fresh.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Pauli

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 03:18:35 PM »
I did it the same way as John without Problems!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 07:05:52 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll try the live sphagnum in room temperature next time, I had hoped to get some wild collected seeds but they had unfortunately dropped already. They'd be impossible to grow here in Chengdu unfortunately, even Epimedium struggle in the heat here.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal