We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhododendron - March 2008  (Read 9215 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Rhododendron - March 2008
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »
It is a slow start to the rhodo season here in Aberdeen. We have got good flowering on the hybrid 'Cilpinense', which I showed just coming into flower in the "chilly" thread and I have managed to miss taking a photo of R. dauricum, which is over now  :-[   Elsewhere in Aberdeen gardens there are good bushes of old red hybrids, with R. barbatum blood and fine shows from R. praecox and the variety 'Tessa' .... here in our own garden however, the flowers are few. There are one or two early flowers on R. hippophaioides, a plant which will not flower too well this year, even later next month when it is "supposed" to flower.... it has done exceptionally well in the last two years and so I do not grudge it a year off!
Rhododendron elegantulum, a plant which obligingly puts out flowers at all sorts of odd times throughout the year to  surprise us, is starting into its main spring display with the opening of rich pink buds, fading to a sweet blush pink.
Rhododendron thompsonii  collected by Ron McBeath, tends to suffer from the fierce winds we usually get a s its flowers are opening, resulting in that interesting phenomenon, "Hedgeius privetus rhododrendriflora" ;) as all the large, blood red flowers get blown into the privet hedge behind the plant. I though it wise to take this flower indoors to show you . :-X
On the smaller end of the scale are the charming hybrid, R. 'Ptarmigan' with its clusters of white flowers, this is another plant which is obliging with its gift of extra flowers in the late summer.
The smallest offering today is from R. lapponicum parviflorum, Japanese form.

A couple of shots of all four together, to give you an idea of relative scale.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Rhododendron - March 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 03:44:34 PM »
Maggi, that's nice seeing you coming out of the (BD) shade with your favourite plants.  ;)
I remember having Ptarmigan many years in our retail list, because I wanted many people should have this in their gardens.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
Thank you , Luit  ;)
I agree that R. ' Ptarmigan ' is an excellent garden plant. For those who do not know it, this is a hybrid, made by Peter Cox of Glendoick between R. microleucum and R. leucapsis.  The flowers are a good size in relation to the foliage and the plant makes about 70cms across by 35cms high in 20 years, so it will fit into most gardens...even the small gardens of modern houses!  8)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 07:47:47 PM »
I love Rhododendron time. Lovely shots Maggi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:57 AM »
Rhododendron thompsonii  collected by Ron McBeath,

Maggi - Can you tell us more about the history of this McBeath collection and whether or not is hardier than other thomsoniis?

I particlaurly like the forms with a green calyx.

I grow the Ludlow & Sherriff #2847 and it is surprisingly hardy. It promises almost 20 buds this year at 2.7 meters high, slow but worth the wait.  It usually blooms in late April or early March so you are far ahead of us, but so is most of the civilized world.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »
Interesting to see 'Ptarmigan' flowering with the others. Here, in the deep south it flowers before any other except `Christmas Cheer,' mid winter.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:08:52 AM »
Howdy All,

Can't resist inserting a picture of a Rhodo I have flowering here at the moment...... Rhododendron lineariifolia always starts flowering for me in autumn (no idea whether it is supposed to or not, but this is the third year it has done it) then sporadically through winter before it's main flowering in spring.  And the plant is only a couple of feet high in an 6 inch pot too.  One of those Rhodos that the majority of people who see it would never know that it WAS a Rhodo as it looks so unusual.

Anyway, I hope no-one minds me putting this here in the March Rhodo thread, even though I'm a Southern Hemispherer.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »
Great to see your R. linearifolia, Paul.  8)

John, the R. thomsonii McBeath form is McB. 1279 seed.... but I cannot remember/find any further details.
Can't even remember how old it is now....about twenty years or so  :-\ .......sorry, my record keeping is almost non-existant  :-[ :'(
I'll drop Ron an email and ask if he recalls details....

The plant is a handsome thing, the bark is a good colour and leaves persist for over two years, mostly. Only problem is that flower pedicels are VERY brittle when the flowers first emerge and if strong winds hit at that time then all the flowers can be blown off. If they escape that, however, and can open fully without high winds, then the flowers are large, deep red and long-lasting. They have a small red calyx, rather than the large green calyx often seen on other forms.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:04:28 PM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
Paul I don't know much about R. linearifolium but when I was in the Blue Mountains last April, Don Schofield's large plant was in full bloom so I guess it must be autumn-flowering. Oh to be in Aussie, now that autumn's here, to paraphrase someone.  :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 04:46:10 PM »
Maggi Nice to see some rhodos beginning to flower even if this weekend will finish of the flowers. Here are a couple of mine R calophytum with its large leaves and its unusial flowers. This ones new foliage is in my opinion as good as the flowers and R arboreum Schilling? well that was on the label and Tony Schilling is well known in the world of Rhodos. Whether this is a true name or a selection that originated from him I am not sure but a nice deep pink and the usual nice leaves and plant shape - about 8 ft after 25 years.
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
Ian, two very smart plants you have there.  I adore the calophytum flowers... like ice cream sundaes!  8)

I'm hoping that the weather won't be too bad, though the last two days have been pretty cold here... never got above 1 degree on Tuesday, though it was slightly better today.... my R. pachysanthum is just opening   :-\ :P :-\

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:50:17 PM »
Smashing calophytums Ian.

I hope the weather co-operates and you don't get the 36 hour windstorm we had here the past few days.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 07:57:18 AM »
R. calophytum is a true beauty Ian ! Any chance of producing a picture of the whole plant ??
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 09:55:41 AM »
That calophyum is beautiful!!  Love the flower and foliage combination.  Another one I haven't seen before, or at least don't recall anyway.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30:13 PM »
Smashing calophytums Ian.

I hope the weather co-operates and you don't get the 36 hour windstorm we had here the past few days.

johnw

If it's moving East John we are sure to get it early next week!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal