We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early January 2007  (Read 47927 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Early January 2007
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2007, 09:40:42 AM »
Mark, yes I did get your emails and the personal message as well. I replied also as a personal message but perhaps it missed the plane or something. Anyway, I'll send you a private email to your address but not until Monday. Trip away in the morning and in the meantime I'm baking a cake for Dave (not that he'll believe it!)

Paddy, nothing springs to mind for the Aciphylla. I'm sure I know it but as above, things aren't connecting at present. I need to go to bed. David Lyttle will know I'm sure.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
Because of the mild winter, the first Daphnes are already in flower.

Daphne suriel

Daphne bholua 'Darjeeling Form'

Daphne laureola ssp. philippi

And this Tropaeolum pentaphyllum is in flower since a couple of months.

Jozef

Edit: The pictures seem no longer to be available- perhaps you can find them in Jozef's site :
http://www.alpines.be
Maggi7/08/2013
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:10:36 PM by Maggi Young »
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2007, 07:30:40 PM »
Lovely pictures Jozef, I enjoyed them, thank you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »
wow that is some Tropaeolum. I havent seen it before. Hardy or non hardy?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 10:11:01 PM »
Oh Yes, Josef,

That tropaeolum is a beauty. As with Mark - is it growing outside? It looks too good to be outside but how I would love to hear that it is; something to be chased up and planted out as some stage in the future.

I love the clear white of Daphne suriel, a new plant to me; haven't seen it previously. D. laureola is one of the workhorses of the garden here, great in the most miserable of conditions, wet ground in winter, parched and in deep shade in summer, a real doer.

D. bholua 'Darjeeling form' is another excellent plant, growing very well for you it seems.

Many thanks for excellent photographs.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2007, 12:23:59 AM »
Hi Geebo

My approach to H Niger has been to plant a number of these in the garden a process known as the scattergun approach. They are in borders where the plants are usually covered by other herbacious plants in summer. Its probably just luck and next year they will all go to H Niger heaven a place I understand is already pretty full
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2007, 02:00:40 PM »
Enjoying the pictures Paddy and Jozef. I too was covetting the Tropaeolum pentaphyllum and looked it up on the net. Avon bulbs are selling it but state that it is not reliably hardy and they grow it in pots cool but protected from frosts. Shame  :'(

Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2007, 02:57:50 PM »
John,

Yea, Pity it isn't hardy but I think I would go to the bother of pot culture and bringing it into the glasshouse with this one.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:17 PM »
Nice pictures Jozef I too would be interested to learn if you are growing Tropaeolum pentaphyllum unprotected outside.
We grow Tropaeolum pentaphyllum  in a pot that lives in a cold glasshouse.
I suspect it would be quite hardy to cold but not the winter wet that we get.
It increases quite well, those of you that want some remind me nearer summer when I am repotting and I will see what I have spare.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2007, 10:40:04 AM »
Hi All,

Thanks for your comments regarding my pictures.
I purchased my first Tropaeolum pentaphyllum from Elizabeth Strangman about 8 years ago and I kept it always outside in the open garden but on a sheltered place and in winter covered with a plastic sheet. In normal winters, the temperature drops down to about minus 10 -15°C here in Belgium. This year we are still waiting for winter.
In severe winters the leaves will be damaged, but in spring the plants will come out again.
Hardiness of a plant is not only dependant of the temperatures , but also of the moistness of the soil. Keep Tropaeolums in a sandy soil and not in clayish soil.
The plant on the picture is another plant I got from a friend and is a much better flowering clone. Of course I kept this one in my greenhouse.
Propagation is rather easy.  John, if you like I will save a plant for you, but I will not visit the Blackpool show this year. (probably only the Early Spring show)
BTW, don’t keep tuberous Tropaeolums in a greenhouse. Once temperatures are rising they will stop growing and flowering, because they think they have to go in summer rest.
T. pentaphyllum is not the most beautiful Tropaeolum in my opinion.

Jozef
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »
I also grow Tropaeolum tuberosum var. lineamaculatum 'Ken Aslet'  outside in the lee of a Garrya Elliptica although of course it is probably not as cold down here.  I confess to overwintering one tuber in the glasshouse just in case, but normally end up planting this somewhere else in the garden once spring has sprung.

Brian
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johanneshoeller

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2007, 02:32:27 PM »
The last year we had more than 2m snow in January. This winter is very warm without snow, so the first plants have started to flower (Primula marginata, Primula albenensis, Crocus sieberi 2x,...).

Hans
from Austria

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 02:40:02 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2007, 05:23:21 PM »
Jozef, That's a very kind offer. I won't be there but there is usually somebody I know at all the shows who could pass it on to me at Blackpool.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2007, 10:53:08 PM »
That's interesting Jozef, about tropaeolums going dormant as soon as the weather warms. Does it also apply to T. azureum? I've had mine in a pot and for the last two years it has flowered really well, but after perhaps a couple of really warm days, it dies away and vanishes, almost within hours. Would it like a cooler spot do you think?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2007, 01:10:30 PM »
Hello everybody.
My first visit to the new forum. I guess it will take me a while to find my way around, and work out how to post pictures for best efect. Meanwhile here are some pictures of Crocus cyprius taken yesterday, you can see that they vary a lot. One form stands out to me as the best. Plus Gymnospermium albertii emerging in the bulb frame, a group of cyclamen coum. And the lovely Gladiolus maculatus under glass.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal