We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Early January 2007  (Read 47294 times)

snowdropman

Re: Early January 2007
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »
have just taken a photograph of the Galanthus Elsesii Comet that has been flowering for the last week or so

Nice photo John - interesting how variable the green markings on the outer segments can be with this form - although I only live about 40/50 miles from you my 'Comet' are still a week or so from flowering.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 05:11:59 AM »
although I only live about 40/50 miles from you my 'Comet' are still a week or so from flowering.

Chris, I shall ask my aunt how her Comet is doing - she is just 25 miles away in the other direction (towards London) - I will let you know.  I think it may be because my little garden is quite protected.

Hi Geebo - I have only ever split the aspidistra into two pots each time and the variegation has stayed true.  I have found with other variegated plants that if you propagate it into very smal pieces the results are rather variable.  I now try to make sure that I only ever split variegated subjects into large chunks with mulitple growing points whenever possible.

with kind regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 03:00:23 PM »
Another garden centre cyclamen from Portugal, but I'm fond of it. It has a small flower (less than 2cm) and happily grows back each year.

(testing - first time I post a photo)

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »
Hi Jeff,
this is a wonderful Dionysia, is it possible that it is to dark here for flowering Dionysias?
here is a plant of my collection Asarums and they like a lot of shade, one big problem is that the slugs like them verry much
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:11 PM »
John,

An excellent Galanthus 'Comet', very nice indeed. Re you exchanges with Chris: perhaps the sheltered nature of your garden favours earlier flowering. The galanthus is obviously enjoying the snug conditions you are providing.

Chris,

You may just be like the rest of us and will have to be patient while they come to bloom in their own good time.

Chloe,

Good cyclamen. By reputation these cyclamen do not last from year to year. Like you, my wife, has several in a pot outside our front door, facing north, and they flower year after year without fail thriving on neglect. If only I could manage to get my cyclamen to grow as well.

Jeff,

Great asarum. I grow A. caudatum and A. europaeum in the garden where they thrive in damp shade and self-seed generously.

Paddy 
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 05:49:20 AM »
Hi Chris

I have spoken to my aunt and her Galanthus Comet is at least a couple of weeks from flowering - it must just be something local to where I am growing it this year rather than our relative positions in Sussex/Kent/London - I wonder if it will come up for New Year 2008?...

Nothing else seems particularly advanced in my garden (as far as I know with my limited growing experience) - perhaps Comet was just excited about seeing 2007 for some reason!

regards

John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 07:42:38 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2007, 05:14:48 PM »
Here are a few things in the garden, taken between showers.

1 Schizostylis-coccinea-Pink which is still full of flower after a couple of months.

2 I really like the shape and form of the berries on the Berberis Harlequin

3 Hamamellis mollis detail

4 Camellia double white started to flower just before Christmas. It usually gets browned by the frosts but since there hasn't been one they are in pristine condition (more or less apart from the action of heavy rain)

Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 08:17:57 PM »
An exceptional day here today - it was fine, bright and relatively warm, a condition we had almost completely forgotten about over the Christmas as we had gale force winds on most days with heavy rain the normal accompaniment. Today was pleasant and it was a pleasure to get out into the garden.

Photographs of some things in flower today are below.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2007, 08:19:36 PM »
And, I forgot...

Paddy

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 03:01:22 AM »
Hi Paddy

thank you for the pictures.  Your photos have given me my required daily fix of plantlife.

It has been raining heavily here all day - had a brisk walk round my aunts garden and got absolutely drenched.  Did have the camera with me but didn't want to risk it getting soaked too.  The cyclamens here are at exactly the same stage as yours are - if it is dry on Sunday I shall see if I can take some shots in my garden.

with kind regards

John

John

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »
looking forward to them, John.

Paddy

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 04:22:15 PM »
Sorry Paddy - I have failed  :(

Other things have been cropping up all day and I didn't get any quality garden time  :( :(

Fingers crossed that next weekend will allow for a few hours outside (and a bit of dry weather!).

Central London tomorrow  :( :( :(

John

John

Geebo

• Field of Blooms Nursery
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 07:28:48 PM »
Hi To everyone,
Got out yesterday to take a few photographs and practice with the camera.the day was very plesant all day here,got a chance to do a few jobs who were long overdue,
Thanks John for your tip on variegated Aspidistra and co.I will take the advice with pleasure
I have only a few Snowdrops in the garden but nothing very special about,just a few gifts from friends who usual dont know there name,or I forget
2679-0
This is one with large leaves,?and flowered last year in April when it was given to me,there are green marks but not visible for the moment
The Hellebores giving me lots of pleasant days,more opening everyday.
2681-1   2683-2    2685-3

2687-4   2689-5

Ireland , Co Tipperary

http://www.fieldofblooms.ie

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 09:36:04 PM »
Some very nice cyclamen pictures, Paddy.
Nice day in this part of Scotland; had a good walk and did some garden work.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2007, 10:31:35 AM »
More colour in Ireland than outside in Aberdeen, that's my opinion!
Geebo, so many of our hellebore fans seem to be in Belgium, such as Chris with his famous nursery: have you got continental connections to fuel your love of these flowers?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal