We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula Wharfedale Bluebell  (Read 4544 times)

Pennine Wanderer

Primula Wharfedale Bluebell
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
Can anyone please tell me the parentage of Primula Wharfedale Bluebell.  I obtained seed from the seed exchange in 2015/16 and germinated three good plants. Two have so far not flowered but the third appears to be an auricula.  I am interested to try and put a name to it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula Wharfedale Bluebell
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
I don't think it is usual to get  "true"  replicas from hybrid seed.  Certainly,  'Wharfedale Bluebell'  which is shown in this photo : http://www.auriculaandprimula.org.uk/galleries/primulas/european_hybrids/primula_x_wharfedale_bluebell.html  is a lovely blue!
Looks to be an auricula x marginata hybrid I suppose -  David Nicholson may be able to help.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graeme

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
Wharfedale series of plants were bred by Alec Stubbs of Grassington

The only way you will get true Bluebell is via an offset - you will know when you have the real thing as it has a silver/white edge line to the flower - the leaf is also quite distinct as well

I have never had a big population of it as it tends with me to rot off - I am probably down to two plants at the moment - a lot of what you see labeled as bluebell are not - one of mine came from Mary Robinson a long long time ago - I did get another at Chesterfield AGS members stand last year - leaf is right - just need to look at the flower this year - but initial thoughts it is the right plant

As for seed - depends what it has been housed with - to be honest you will get anything

My favorites of the series are Wharfedale Milkmaid and Wharfedale Village - I tend to keep Village inside as it has beautiful farina on the leaves
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »
Thanks Graeme and Maggi for your replies. I just wondered if the one I have shown may be one of the parents.  I also have Village in the greenhouse to protect the farina.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:56:59 PM »
Yes Graeme's right Primula x 'Wharfedale Bluebell' was bred by  Alec Stubbs of the lovely Grassington, in Wharfedale, in the bonny Yorkshire Dales. In his time he bred a whole series of Primula hybrids but I've never seen any breeding details for any of them.

You might be mixed up with your Milkmaid though Graeme, I've never seen one from the Wharfedale Series, were you thinking of Joe Elliott's 'Broadwell Milkmaid'?

I think you're right too Maggi, it does look to have a lot of P. marginata in it. P. 'Wharfedale Bluebell' is one of the parents of P. 'Kusan Krishna' bred by Graeme Butler of Rumbling Bridge Nursery, the other parent was P. 'Linda Pope', itself a marginata hybrid.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 05:27:20 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Graeme

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 11:31:55 PM »
You might be mixed up with your Milkmaid though Graeme, I've never seen one from the Wharfedale Series, were you thinking of Joe Elliott's 'Broadwell Milkmaid'?

I think you're right too Maggi, it does look to have a lot of P. marginata in it. P. 'Wharfedale Bluebell' is one of the parents of P. 'Kusan Krishna' bred by Graeme Butler of Rumbling Bridge Nursery, the other parent was P. 'Linda Pope', itself a marginata hybrid.
sorry that is me in a hurry this afternoon

The Wharfedale series of plants are a bit a mixed bag from what I can see

Bluebell looks like a lot of marginata in it as it can be quite a substantial plant - some of the others are quite dainty along side it

"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal