We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The plant world of Patagonia  (Read 38931 times)

gerrit

Re: The plant world of Patagonia
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2017, 02:52:25 PM »
Schizanthus grahammii in full bloom now.
Gerrit from the Netherlands
Gardener on the seabottom

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
Beautiful, Gerrit ... thanks for posting.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martin Sheader

« Reply #137 on: October 31, 2017, 06:55:07 PM »
Beutiful flower Gerrit.
Remember to collect seed as this species usually dies after flowering.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2017, 07:41:51 PM »
Wonderfully... Gerrit. How high is this plant?

Thomas

gerrit

« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
Beutiful flower Gerrit.
Remember to collect seed as this species usually dies after flowering.

I knew it is annual, or monocarpic, but maybe short-living, i hope.
Seeds will be difficult, i think. November is coming without pollinating insects. Another thing, it's not hardy, so i think, better cut all shoots, and protect the plant from frost and not waiting for seeds.

gerrit

« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Wonderfully... Gerrit. How high is this plant?

Thomas

Sorry Thomas, i know you prefer dwarf species. It is not dwarf at all, about 50/60 cm high.

Martin Sheader

« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2017, 09:10:35 AM »
Gerrit,
You might try hand pollination - I think they are self fertile. I agree that it is probably too late in the year for successful seed set outside, but you could keep the flower stems in water indoors. Seed development in schizanthus is quite rapid. Alternatively, if there are any suitable shoots, you could try stem cuttings indoors.
Although unlikely to survive winters outdoors, we see them growing high up on ski slopes where they would be subjected to frost and covered by snow for most of the winter, but would regenerate from seed in spring.

gerrit

« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2017, 02:44:13 PM »
Good advice from you Martin.

I did handpollinate the flowers and during inspection of the plant, i noticed some seed pods growing from previous flowers. Bees did their job and i was not aware of it. Now i wait and hope for mild weather until Christmas in order to let the seeds ripe on the plant. When not, i will follow your suggestion and take cuttings for inside. There are suitable shoots indeed.

Leucogenes

« Reply #143 on: January 07, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »
Here again two South Americans without flowers... Benthamiella azorella and Nassauvia gaudichaudii.

Leucogenes

« Reply #144 on: January 07, 2018, 08:33:55 PM »
... and then something unusual. Normally we know Bolax gummifera in green. (image 1)
Now I got a small section with an extraordinary blue-grey color. (Picture 2) I hope that this metallic blue is still visible in summer.

Anybody else ever had that color before? If so, please report.

Thomas

Martin Sheader

« Reply #145 on: January 07, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
Thomas,
I looked through my images of Bolax and found one with blue leaves from Sierra del Toro (Torres del Paine). When leaves are fully expanded it would look closer to your plant. Eudema hauthalii is growing through the cushion.
Martin

Leucogenes

« Reply #146 on: January 07, 2018, 10:23:59 PM »
Martin... Thank you for this beautiful picture and the quick answer. It looks a little unusual. But I like this blue mutation very much. But of course the green form is also great.

Like almost everything from this region.  :)

Since the picture of you was probably not taken in winter, I can hope that this color will be visible in the coming summer.

Thomas

gerrit

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2018, 05:46:57 PM »
... and then something unusual. Normally we know Bolax gummifera in green. (image 1)
Now I got a small section with an extraordinary blue-grey color. (Picture 2) I hope that this metallic blue is still visible in summer.

Anybody else ever had that color before? If so, please report.

Peculiar colour. Fingers crossed, it will continue producing blue leaves.

Leucogenes

« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2018, 07:26:50 PM »
All these wonderful descriptions and images of amazing Patagonian species and still no-one has mentioned the inestimable beauty that is Ranunculus semiverticillatus, surely the queen of South America, the empress of the Andes? 
We are travelling to Patagonia in a few short months simply to prostrate ourselves at the high altar of this ravishing gem (it HAS to be in flower) and to photograph what is surely the most glorious buttercup in existence.

Hello Cliff and all other fans of Ranunculus semiverticillatus...

I agree with you on all counts...it's probably one of the most beautiful plants in the world. I know the impressive pictures from last year's trips to Patagonia.

Last year a botanical friend gave me some small root pieces of this jewel. He wouldn't tell me where he got them. 😉

I gave myself no hope and paid no attention to the pot. While cleaning several old pots at the weekend I discovered it again...the current result can be seen. It was probably a little dark... that's why the long stem.

But the fact that life is actually in this pot makes me pretty happy. I will continue to report...when the gods are on my side. 😁😁

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
I have also been interested in the winter hardiness of Maihuenia for some time. That's why I deliberately didn't have a cover this winter. We all had extremes...warmth, rain and very cold days without snow. Surprisingly both representatives of this species look better this spring than in the years with coverage.

The experiment was successful.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal