We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus ident please  (Read 5410 times)

Shauney

Narcissus ident please
« on: March 13, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »
I found a small narcissus today ( I think tete a tete ) but the leaves and stems are an acid green. I've not seen daffs this colour before. I've put a leaf from a clump nearby to show the difference in colour. It seems healthy enough but is it due to a nutrient deficiency or is it caused by a virus and needs to be destroyed? Thanks for any help Shaun.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
Re: Narcissus ident please
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 11:38:42 PM »
Viruses will usually show up as streaking/blotches etc. in the vegetative parts, rather than a total colour change. Deformed flowers would be another symptom of virus. Your plants don't appear to show any of these symptoms, so I think it could be an effect of environmental conditions, i.e. a nutrient deficiency. See here for advice on chlorosis.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Shauney

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 12:40:43 AM »
Thanks Matt.

I didn't think it was a virus as I couldn't see anything obvious but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something other than the regular things going on. I'll put some fertiliser down and see if that helps! Although it is quite nice to see the different colour and it certainly stands out when the sun is shining on it.

Many thanks Shaun.

Cfred72

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:14:20 AM »
On the other hand, Schaun, if it is not a virus and the color remains yellow even with fertilizer (rich in potash), keep me a small bulb please. I find it very bright and beautiful to look at.  ;D  ;)
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Shauney

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 08:27:35 AM »
As there is a few more just away from the ones flowering, I will do an experiment and feed just those to see what happens and report back in a month or two.

Shauney

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »
Hi all.
Last year I started this thread with an acid green leafed narcissus. Well I was allowed to take the 3 small non flowering bulbs shown in pic 2 of the original post. It was suggested that it might be a nutrient deficiency, but I now have them potted in the same soil mix as another narcissus of mine and as you can see they have come up the same as last year although they haven't flowered this year either!
It's lucky that I was allowed to take them as the bulbs that were flowering well did not come up this year so I suspect they may have been victims of the narcissus fly. 😢

Shauney

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
Hi, I need help trying to identify this narcissus. I found it growing in a gravel drive when weeding last year! It was just a small single bulb and going over so didn't get to see it in full flower and there were no others around that look anything like it so no idea how it got there! Any help apreciated.
Thanks Shaun.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
It has a look of the N. triandrus hybrid  'Hawera', Shauney.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Shauney

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »
Thankyou very much Maggie. I think you might be spot on! I've done a bit of reading about it and it says they're very fragrant, i went to smell mine and could hardly detect anything! Maybe it was because it's been raining and it was getting dark. I will have a smell tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get some sun!
Many thanks Shaun.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:12 AM »
A guide to identifying cultivars: the daffodil site, or at least the more common ones in the UK.

Edit: hyperlink updated (not sure why it changed since my original post ???).  Thanks for alerting me David.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:01:00 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Shauney

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 11:43:37 AM »
Any ideas what this variety is?
Thanks Shaun

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:58 PM »
A guide to identifying cultivars: the daffodil site

I don't think Ashley's hyperlink is working? You could try this https://daffseek.org/
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 05:54:54 AM »
Any ideas what this variety is?
Thanks Shaun
Hi Shaun,
It could be ‘Van Sion’ syn ‘Telamonius Plenus’
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 10:33:24 AM »

It could be ‘Van Sion’ syn ‘Telamonius Plenus’
cheers
fermi
  Don't both of those have more "untidy"  "exploded"  flowers, fermi?  Shauney's  example seems to  look like a more simple "filled"  daff. ..... ???? :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Shauney

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
  Don't both of those have more "untidy"  "exploded"  flowers, fermi?  Shauney's  example seems to  look like a more simple "filled"  daff. ..... ???? :-\

I'd have to agree Maggi.
There seems to be quite a variation in the pics online but none that are as neat as mine.

Thanks for the suggestions though Fermi.

Shaun.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal