We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: "Erythroniums in Cultivation" an e-book by Ian Young  (Read 12481 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: "Erythroniums in Cultivation" an e-book by Ian Young
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2017, 11:23:14 AM »
No, it is not hardback and I am very grateful to a friendly forumist, who had some printed for himself and a few friends, organised the printing for me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:24:41 AM by Maggi Young »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 08:12:16 PM »
Having had a small part to play in the printing of Ian's wonderful book (a very skilful one-man jobbing printer local to me did the hard work)  I have seen that others might be interested in having a copy made and subject to agreement on price and other matters I will refer to later
I would be willing to persue the matter further.

The printed copy is on good quality semi- gloss paper with a card cover front and back and is professionally stitch-bound. It has 278 pages plus covers and weighs a fraction less than 1KG per copy. The price per copy printed and bound would be of the order of £32.00 (subject to agreement) and to be fair to the printer who has worked very closely with me throughout the process I would not wish to place a further order for under 10 copies in total. In addition carriage would be at cost.

I would of course wish to be certain that any order placed fully complied with Ian's Copyright.

I would anticipate that delivery to me would be within two weeks of me placing an order.

Those interested in obtaining a copy should let me know by email or PM by noon on Wednesday ofnext week. On Thursday of next week I will confirm to all who have responded as to whether or not we are in a position to place an order. At this stage, and if we have a viable order, I will request a deposit the amount of which will equate to the estimated cost of carriage which would otherwise need to be found from my own resources (Mrs N will wish to ensure that we continue to eat!).

On placing an order and being able to confirm the date of delivery to me I would request the full amount of the printing and binding cost.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Orders for a printed copy continue to trickle in so just a reminder that I shall need final numbers by noon on Wednesday of next week.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2017, 01:34:54 AM »
Hi David,
I would love a copy.  I've checked on this side of the pond and the local print on demand place doesn't do color and it would cost $200 at the local coffee shop.  Ouch.  This is a much better deal. 

I completely understand Ian's concern about someone profiting from the book.  To that end Ian have you gotten the book an ISBN number?  It might help in case of piracy. 

Let us know David when you want the money and our addresses.  As I mentioned before I'd be happy to do whatever I could to help on this end.  I've looked at postage costs in the US and each copy would be under $4 for domestic postage only but first there would be the postage cost to mail the box from Great Britain to the US.  I'm not sure if this is worth fooling around with or not.  I guess it depends on your tolerance for filling out customs forms. 

Off to send emails to three other people who might be interested.

Thank you,
Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

Carolyn

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
Jan,
If this is starting to get too complicated with customs (and maybe import duty too for you to pay?), why not have a look at lulu.com?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Jan Jeddeloh

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
Books don't have customs duties coming into the US so there wouldn't be a problem there.  I just popped onto Lulu.com and actually the price would be comparable maybe even a bit more using Lulu.  It's the color printing that kills.  So David's kind off looks like the best deal out there.

Jan
Jan Jeddeloh, Portland, Oregon, USA zone 8

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2017, 05:44:23 PM »
Great book,mine arrived today ,thanks to David............................and of course Ian  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
Mine too, thanks to all.  There's nothing like having the book in your hands!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
There has been some interest in another printing and binding of Ian's book. My Printer would need at least ten copies to make the work viable for him. Cost last time was £32.00 per copy plus the cost of postage.

If you are interested let me know as soon as you can please.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 12:17:37 PM »
The Exhibition of Erythroniums by Ian Young,  in the Douglas Pavilion, sponsored by The Scottish Rock Garden Club is open till end of October at The Explorers Garden, Pitlochry
www.explorersgarden.com

611652-0

and next week Ian and Jim Jermyn will take part in the second  annual Erythronium Festival at Inverewe Gardens

"Come and join us at our very special week here at NTS Inverewe....and find out all about the many wonderful and varied of these woodland beauties - Erythronium or trout lily.
So much to see and learn from our experts about this amazing flower."

www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/inverewe
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:27:07 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Helga

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
I would like to say thank you to Ian for making it possible for me to see the beauty of erythronium and learn about them!!
Beautiful informative pictures, great information and easy to understand!
I found the link in a German gardening forum and read the book in one go. Now I'm reading the logs (8 more years to enjoy  ;))
My own erythroniums are very lonely single plants still - I'll have to work on that.
I have also started to collect vocabulary to improve my English  ;D
ciao,
Helga
USDA 6b, continental climate

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:13 PM »
Thank you Helga for taking the time to write here and for joining the SRGC and the Forum.
It is very rewarding to learn that I am am able to share and spread my love of Erythroniums with others which was my intention in writing the book and making it freely available.
We all start from single plants and work from there.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
As  Erythronium season ramps  up, and  folks  may be  looking  for  something  to  occupy  some  "down-time"  during the  virus crisis,   Ian Young's e-book - Erythroniums in Cultivation -  in pdf form - 278 pages in full colour - is  free to download via this link :

http://www.srgc.net/filessub/general/ERYTHRONIUMS-IN-CULTIVATION%20-2016-IanYoung.pdf

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:21:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal