We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arum 2008  (Read 9050 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Arum
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 08:31:15 PM »
Not one I would grow in a pot,it seems to do much better in the garden. It is a big hearty plant and needs a lot of root room.I would expect about four years from sowing to flowering.Here are a couple of pictures of it growing under a dwarf cherry to give an idea of its size
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
OK, I'll bight the bullet and plant some into the ground somewhere.  I do hope it doesn't become a menace!!  ::)  Would like some flowers from it one of these years though, so if it does then it was probably worth it!!  ;D

Thanks all.

Anthony,

Don't be greedy..... mine was bought as an adult plant and after 10 years it still hasn't flowered..... wanting flowers 4 years after sowing SEED is just plain greediness!!  ;) ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »
Paul, in your climate I would certainly plant them out. I would be VERY surprised if they spread much at all. If you are lucky they will make a very stately clump and lookk very smart, just as Tony's do in England......I don't think they'll manage that well outside in Scotland!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »
Maggie

I do not think Dunblane is any colder than here and  this species is a mountain plant in Crete where it  gets covered in snow.I think it needs rich moist ground in the spring to flower.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 02:27:07 AM »
Tony,

Eeeeek!  :o  You mean I'm going to have to give it a GOOD area as well?  Rich and moist in this garden are prime positions, as they have to be worked at quite hard!!  ;D  I'll see what I can do.  I'm assuming full sun as well?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »
Here in Aberdeen, and in Dunblane, (which as Anthony Darby always tells us, is actually Atlantis renamed ;) ;) ) the prblem is not the cold, as Ian's Bulb Log photos of Arum creticum utterly collapsed with frost then happily recovered and flowering well..... problem is that of summer wet...... Cretan mountain tops have less rain and rather better drainage than we can manage in Scotland, Tony!! ::) :o

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Maggie

I do not want to get into the 'I have more than you' discussion because I cannot find the statistics without paying for them.So I will only say I have not watered the garden in the last five years.Last summer I only was able to mow the lawn four times and I have candelabra primulas self seeding in it and my fish often leave the pond to have a swim around the garden. That is wet. We have our own little micro climate,its chief feature is it rains most days of the year. It is a totally depressing place to live although there are probably worse.

I am stuck in the house writing this because it is raining,will just have to do some repotting.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Tony,

Oh My Goodness..... the thought of not having to water your garden is just SUCH a luxury.  Not having to spend all that time watering every couple of days would be so wonderful.  I am JEALOUS as anything. (to put it mildly).  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
Last summer I only was able to mow the lawn four times and I have candelabra primulas self seeding in it and my fish often leave the pond to have a swim around the garden. That is wet. We have our own little micro climate,its chief feature is it rains most days of the year. It is a totally depressing place to live although there are probably worse.

I am stuck in the house writing this because it is raining,will just have to do some repotting.

Crikey, Tony, now I know why you travel so much!  ::)

I suppose the position of the arum by the dwarf cherry must give it some assistance in using up all that extra water....a pointer perhaps to a successful planting spot for others wishing to try it outside.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:51:11 AM by Maggi Young »

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 12:49:53 PM »
Tony, waterlilies rot in Dunblane because it's too wet. ::) I will try some outside as I'm redoing a west facing bed.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 03:30:02 PM »
The first of my arums is now in flower.It is one of the Turkish 'flag' ones and stands about 2 feet tall

arum rupicola, turkey
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 05:26:39 PM by Maggi Young »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 12:40:18 PM »
Tony,

Not sure I've seen A. rupicola before, although the name rings bells (is it a subspecies of something else?  ???).  Interesting flower, with a very prominent spadix.  Nice!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »
Paul

rupicola is a true species formerly conophalloides which is widespread across Turkey and Iran.

here is the next one which is euxinum which is rare in cultivation but very easy to grow

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:56 PM »
That is a beautiful spathe Tony.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
Lesley they are one of my passions,so intricate in their form,plenty more to come

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal