We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Visit to Wisley-March 2008  (Read 5848 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Visit to Wisley-March 2008
« on: March 14, 2008, 02:12:40 PM »
Yesterday we visited the RHS garden at Wisley (we try to go there about three times each year). The highlight of the day for me was a tour around the behind the scenes of the Alpine Department kindly provided by Paul Cumbleton and I am grateful to him for sparing the time from his busy schedule-it was absolutely fascinating.

It was out first visit since the new Glasshouse opened and we spent a great amount of time there and took lots of pictures which I hope you will find of interest.

The new Glasshouse was opened late last year by The Queen, it took 2 years to build, cost nearly £8 million and covers an are of roughly 10 tennis courts. The aim of the Glasshouse is to display plants that are attractive and have the potential of being grown by the average visitor.

The Alpine House was displaying Hepaticas and I have a few pictures of those also but I am sure that other Forumists, with much more photographic skill than I, will be posting some pictures later. I also have a few pictures of plants seen around the garden.

The first few concentrate on the new Glasshouse.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Visit to Wisley-March 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
The next batch of pictures are from the Tropical section of the Glasshouse and show some of the Orchids and other flowers on display.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 02:21:49 PM »
...... more Orchids etc.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:27:53 PM »
Looks very promising David !  Don't let me keep you from posting more...  8)

Thanks
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 02:28:49 PM »
....... more from Wisley. This batch is of a few plants from around the garden, one from the Landscaped Alpine House, and a clump of Tulips from the Trial Grounds submitted by someone whose name most of you will know.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:34:58 PM »
Final batch from Wisley (thank God did I hear you say! ;D) These are all from the Hepatica display. Perhaps my pictures don't really do them justice and there are sure to be better ones from other Forumists. It really was a cracking display and something to aspire to-and I speak as one who has killed quite a few (the cheaper kind I might add!)

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »
David !
Stop doing yourself and your photographic skills injustice !
The shots are just fine and so are the Hep's !  8)
Thanks very much for sharing this little walk with us David - it's more than time for another hop to Wisley for me... I wish....  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:00:01 PM »
Thank you Luc, I keep trying-sometimes I get better, sometimes I don't! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

SueG

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 03:36:06 PM »
Thanks for the pictures David, great to see them
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 06:44:55 PM »
(thank God did I hear you say!

Certainly not me, David.
I like your pictures very much!  :D :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
Thanks for this David, it's good to see some pictures of the new glasshouse, and of course it's contents.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 05:05:56 PM »
And many thanks also from me, David for these pics. It's over already???? So soon? :'(
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »
And many thanks also from me, David for these pics. It's over already???? So soon? :'(

I have some nice photos from last October that I never got round to posting. I'm off to Paris tomorrow (  :D :D :D ), but when I get back I'll try to remember to have a good look and see what might be of particular interest!

Chloë
getting ready to be cold for the next few days ...
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:06:09 AM »
All looks great.  Those towers of Phalaenopsis are very impressive, but then so are a lot of the htings in the pics.  Thanks for posting them for us!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ruweiss

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 08:17:14 PM »
David,
thank you for taking me on the virtual trip to Wisley, it is great to share your
impressions with us.
Rudi
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal