We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ident please?  (Read 20668 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Snowdrop ident please?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2017, 04:53:53 PM »
Shaun it looks very much like one of the Greatorex hybrids and very much like 'Lavinia' to me.  It is not, however, an exact science.  Often people say of the Greatorex hybrids "Answers on a postcard please" as they can vary with maturity of the bulb and therefore resemble each other, but they were the first deliberate crosses so we can't complain.  A good place to look (after SRGC of course) is Judy's snowdrops:
http://www.judyssnowdrops.co.uk/Plant_Profiles/Hybrids_Double/lavinia/lavinia.htm
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Shauney

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2017, 10:02:18 PM »
Thanks for the help Brian.
I'm not completely convinced that is it a will have to do more investigation,but its certainly a strong contender and as there is so much confusion over the greatorex doubles I may never really know. So for now I'll question mark it as lavinia.
Thanks again for your help. Shaun.

SusanH

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:40 PM »
Posted this on Galanthus in March section - sorry.
I got a pot of these from a friend today - don't know what they are - can anyone help please?

MarkLyman

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
Hi, I think that is Galanthus worronowii, best, Mark

Shauney

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:18 PM »
Hi, please could someone help me with trying to identify this? Plant label is unreadable and the customer can't remember it's name and would love to know. Many thanks Shaun.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 03:46:40 PM »
Shauney, I don't claim to be able to recognise Galanthus 'Atkinsii' but it's like a nivalis on steroids; taller, more vigorous and flowers earlier.  It's also quite readily available so if your photos were taken in the last few days then it's a pretty good bet.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 11:26:06 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Harberd

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 04:14:58 PM »
I don't like hazarding guesses but:

Is the petal length a bit long for Atkinsii? I don’t think I ever got it to 35mm! Atkinsii also threw a high proportion of aberrant flowers with me (that’s why I ended up binning it) These appear to be uniform.
   Don’t know where in the country these shots come from, but isn’t it still a bit early for Atkinsii?
   Leaves look a bit grey/blue, and its tall…… Is Mrs Macnamara a better fit? The flowers are above the spathe.

Tim DH

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 05:37:44 PM »
The bad 'Atkinsii' which tends to produce aberrant flowers has been renamed 'James Backhouse'.  Supposedly you can get stock which is free from this issue under the original name, 'Atkinsii'.  'Mrs Macnamara' is classed as an elwesii.  The leaves are not particularly broad but I think they are obviously supervolute whereas 'Atkinsii' has applanate leaves.  It's hard to be certain from the photographs but those leaves look applanate to me.     
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 05:58:59 PM »
Thankyou Alan and Tim for your help.I've attached a pic which shows the leaves slightly better and they look supervolute to me. Of the 2 names given so far... I'd have to say it looks more like Mrs Macnamara. Thanks Shaun.

Shauney

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »
Forgot to add that the pics were taken today in north Hampshire and even though it was only 5° and drizzling some of the flowers were open.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2018, 09:40:18 AM »
Does this help?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 11:34:40 PM »
The trouble with lost label snowdrops is that many are not sufficiently distinct to be identified again.  But in this instance I have come around to Tim's opinion, that Shauney's snowdrop resembles 'Mrs Macnamara' in most aspects including flowering time, assuming this is repeated year-on-year.
Almost in Scotland.

Marie-Rose N

• galanthophile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 03:18:39 PM »
Hello,
Can you please help me identify this galanthus.
Thank you very much.
Marie-Rose
601161-0

601163-1

601165-2
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:37:28 PM by Marie-Rose N »
Marie-Rose

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2018, 10:22:57 AM »
Marie-Rose, Your snowdrop has elwesii-like leaves, strong green tips on the outer petals, an x-shaped mark on the inner petals and a very messy interior arrangement of the inner petals (including repeats of the outer petals).  I cannot think of any cultivar like this.  Is it flowering now?  Are you certain you acquired it as a named variety? 
Almost in Scotland.

Marie-Rose N

• galanthophile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2018, 01:50:10 PM »
hello,
Thank you Alan_b for your answer,
He's been blooming for a week in the garden.
I think of Galanthus elwesii 'Rosie' but I'm not sure.
Marie-Rose from France
Marie-Rose

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal