We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ident please?  (Read 20669 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Snowdrop ident please?
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
Couls someone please explain me the difference between Galanthus scharlockii and Galanthus Warei?

BW
Hannelore
I think the spathe on Sharlockii is the longest, always  clearly split  and markings are  more defined  than in Warei. They are both nivalis forms and   Viridipice can look  similar - though Warei has a larger spathe. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:42:14 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2019, 11:10:06 PM »
Does anyone know what this Snowdrop is please

You have the leaves trussed-up rather tightly but as far as I can tell it is a form of Galanthus elwesii (var. elwesii).  Is it supposed to be a named cultivar? 
Almost in Scotland.

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
I was just wondering, on ebay some one sells "Galanthus warei" (https://www.ebay.de/itm/Schneeglockchen-Galanthus-warei/264204185199?hash=item3d83cbee6f:g:f~UAAOSweTlcaVaE:rk:1:pf:0) and they seemed to me rather equal to my Galanthus scharlockii.

SusanH

« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2019, 09:18:08 AM »
Hi Alan - the Snowdrop in question was sold to me as Green Tear - this has been resolved and a replacement is being sent as we speak!! The bulb was dormant when I bought it.
The reason the leaves are trussed up is that it has just been dug up for the photo and was very floppy.
As this came from a reliable source, I would think it is a named variety.
I could ask them if necessary - maybe it is a named one, and being a miserable Scot, I might have to pay them for it!!!!
Cheers

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2019, 10:48:58 AM »
I was just wondering, on ebay some one sells "Galanthus warei" and they seemed to me rather equal to my Galanthus scharlockii.

Both forms have a spathe that is enormous by comparison with other snowdrops, nivalis or otherwise.  But in Scharlockii it splits into two 'ears' and in warei it doesn't split and is possibly even larger.  I suspect the two forms may be closely related. 
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #125 on: February 21, 2019, 12:10:33 PM »
- can a elwesii, tall and with a big green mark on inner petal give by selfseeding a small elwesii with 2 very distant small green marks ?

I have originally about 12 years ago bought 5 bulbs of G.elwesii from garden center. They were all different from each other and they set seeds. From those seeds there are now many different forms, tall and short, and also the markings vary in the inner petals.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »
I think the spathe on Sharlockii is the longest, always  clearly split  and markings are  more defined  than in Warei. They are both nivalis forms and   Viridipice can look  similar - though Warei has a larger spathe.

I don't have 'Warei', but I have 'Viridapice' and also 'Sharlockii' from Germany. S has very long spathe, but the big difference is that 'Viridapice' is huge compared to my 'Sharlockii' which are all quite small, maybe less than 10cm tall. I don't know if there are a lot of variation in the size of 'Scharlockii' and there are also taller S.
Leena from south of Finland

Janos

• Magyar Virághagyma
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2019, 08:28:53 PM »
Dear Galanthophiles,

I'm in need of Galanthus ID.
This plant was sold under the name Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus 'Hiemalis' late flowering type. ...and I bought it...

G. elwesii flowers from late January for me, but this is in flower since early January, so I really don't see how this is "late". So anyone can give me a clue what is this?
Fore some more Galanthus pics click

Thank you for your help in advance!
Janos

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
I'm in need of Galanthus ID.
This plant was sold under the name Galanthus elwesii var. monostictus 'Hiemalis' late flowering type. ...and I bought it...

'Hiemalis' is a generic class of autumn-flowering G. elwesii with a single mark on the apex of the inner segments (i.e. var. monostictus).  So it's a late flowering early snowdrop; something of a contradiction - but I have a number of this type that flower around Xmas and so might be considered as such.  However the leaves in your picture belong to Galanthus plicatus so what you really have is an early (ish) form of plicatus.   
Almost in Scotland.

Janos

• Magyar Virághagyma
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2019, 07:55:15 PM »
However the leaves in your picture belong to Galanthus plicatus so what you really have is an early (ish) form of plicatus.
Dear Alan,
Thank you for your reply! I'll change the name. Otherwise it is a nice plant, and I keep it as it has nice big flowers.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal