We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop ident please?  (Read 20667 times)

MarkLyman

Snowdrop ident please?
« on: February 25, 2017, 03:44:13 PM »
Hi, I've just come across the following next to a clump of 'Modern Art'

Does anyone recognise it please?

Thanks, Mark

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Snowdrop ident please?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:39:52 PM »
It's clearly either a plicatus or a plicatus hybrid (which would be with nivalis in all probability).  But I don't really see any distinguishing features.  I have no idea how many named snowdrops might have a similar mark on the inner petals and I'm sure you could find many similar ones in a naturalised plicatus population.  Perhaps it's just a seedling?   
Almost in Scotland.

MarkLyman

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:21:48 PM »
Thanks Alan,  am tending towards seedling.  I've checked other plants I've grown there and nothing like them.  Where the leaf emerges from the ground, one side is plicate and the other not.

Really nice to start getting seedlings!

Best, Mark

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
I have a small clump of lost label Galanthus - any suggestions?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

MarkLyman

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 06:46:03 PM »
Hi John, I'm unable to help - might help others to see the leaves where they exit the ground to at least get the species?

Best, Mark

Shauney

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
Would love if someone could help identify these 2 plants if they already exists. I found them today in a customers garden. Pics 1 to 3 I'm pretty sure is a nivalis and 3 and 4 I'm pretty sure is a plicatus but I could be wrong! Pic 4 shows 2 stems from the same bulb. I was aloud to pot some of them up. Any help would be great! Thanks Shaun.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
Shauney, both of your foundlings have a 'face', which is a type I particularly like.  The 'eyes' are very distinct in the first case and rather enlarged in the second.  This type of marking is very rare in a pure-bred nivalis, indeed anything other than a smallish mark at the tip of the inner petals would be suspected of being a hybrid.  In the first case I cannot see enough of the leaves to take a stab at the species.  In the second case I think it might be an elwesii but you need to look closely at the base of the leaves to tell.
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
Brian. As I had only just potted them up i u potted them so you can have a better look at the whole plant. This is the first one that I think is nivalis shown in pics 1 to 3 above.

Shauney

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »
This is the second one that I think is a plicatus.  Shown in pics 4 and 5 from the first pics I posted.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 11:20:01 PM »
To be frank, Shauney, I'm still not sure.  In both cases the leaves are narrow and appear to be broadly applanate - which would indicate nivalis.  But the mark on the inner petals is wrong for nivalis.  So I think they are probably hybrids between nivalis and some other species.  That species is most likely to be elwesii or plicatus.  I cannot spot anything on the photos that indicates which.  It is often easier to tell when the leaves are emerging early in the season rather than now.  Keep them under observation - and good luck.     
Almost in Scotland.

Shauney

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 11:50:40 PM »
Thank you Brian for having a go. Is there no pure nivalis that have a mark like that then? Thanks Shaun.

Shauney

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2017, 11:55:46 PM »
So sorry Alan, I've just noticed I've been calling you Brian! I have no idea why and please accept my apologies.  Shaun.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »
That's not a problem; both Brian Ellis and I post a good deal here in the Galanthus section of the forum.  I am honoured to be confused with Brian but I'm not sure how he would feel about being confused with me! 
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:37 AM »
Bewildered?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Shauney

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 12:42:17 PM »
I've been given this double but the person didn't know it's name,and i was wondering if anyone on here might be able to shed some light! It's been in flower for a week now and still has some to open up,it grows to a hight of about 14 inches,there is some green to the tips of the outer petals and some of the inner petals have a yellow streak down them. Thanks shaun.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal