We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 11145 times)

Carolyn

Re: January 2017 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2017, 03:28:40 PM »
Thank you, Maggi and Ian.
This time I turned my iPad round 180 degrees to take the photo:
Sarcococca confusa, hopefully the right way up!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Carolyn

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
[quote author=Cfred72 link=topic=14995.msg370439#msg370439 date

Carolyn, when I see Iris and Eranthis in bloom ... At home everything is still frozen under the ice and snow. It freezes hard. Have announced 8 and 9 ° C for the weekend.
Cyclamen coum are also in flower with us but under the snow.
[/quote]

We have been lucky here in Scotland, not too much snow or frost so far! But still plenty of winter to come. Many plants are starting into growth. The magnolia buds are swelling and ready to open. I hope they will not be damaged by frost.
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
We have finally had a number of clear days. No pounding rain or 60 mph winds thrashing the garden. The mornings have been frosty, the days clear and cool.

Nothing special is blooming, however a few plants spread some cheer with open flowers.

The sunny weather has brought out many flowers on this white form of Cyclamen persicum.

Moraea polystachya has been blooming off and on since late autumn. Now that the sun is out it is blooming again.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2017, 06:50:22 PM »
Looks good, Robert!

Two days with sun and 0 C during the nights. But January has been very mild. Unfortunately my garden gets only a little sun at this time as trees and the neighbours' houses cast long shadows.

560957-0

560959-1

560961-2

Daphne blagayana

560963-3
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2017, 09:15:43 PM »
Trond,

Despite some high temperatures of 15.5 C the last few days not much is happening in our garden.....yet.  ;D The mornings are frosty 0 C but not much cooler. Many plants are germinating or coming into growth so it will not be long. More stormy weather is to arrive late tomorrow. I hope it holds off as I will be going to Snow Mountain tomorrow.  For me a visit to Snow Mountain is very 8) I also have an outing planned to the Red Hills one of California's great wildflower sites. There are a few rare endemic species there too.

We too have to contend with shade from our neighbors trees and even our own (we will be doing some trimming and pruning soon!).

Nice to see some blooming plants from your garden.  8)  I did notice a few open Crocus flowers in our garden the last few days with many more to come.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
Hoy, over there it looks like April here. ;D
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal