We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulipa 2017  (Read 16461 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Tulipa 2017
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
Tulipa cypria (not the darkest one unfortunately) and Tulipa armena - own selection

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2017, 07:07:12 PM »
I wish I had T. cypria!

Here's Tulipa anadroma, Tulipa karabachensis, Tulipa butkowii and Tulipa armena RRW05124
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2017, 11:23:40 PM »
Friend has sent me a link to this site for images of wild tulips; if you haven't come across it before, it is well worth a look.
http://www.tulipsinthewild.com/pages/page1.html
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2017, 08:32:42 AM »
My Rembrandt Tulips are flowering:
578236-0578238-1578240-2

They resemble the Tulips on a painting by Rembrandt: https://www.tripadvisor.de/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g188590-d189379-i60406937-Rijksmuseum-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html#60406937
Dieses Foto von Rijksmuseum Amsterdam wurde von TripAdvisor zur Verfόgung gestellt

As far as I was told the pattern is not a result of a breeding, but the bulbs are infected by a special virus. The disease makes the pattern. The result is, that every flower is different from another. But because these plants are sick, they do only live for a few years.

Hannelore

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2017, 07:00:17 PM »
As far as I was told the pattern is not a result of a breeding, but the bulbs are infected by a special virus. The disease makes the pattern. The result is, that every flower is different from another. But because these plants are sick, they do only live for a few years.

They are virused indeed. Keep them away from other bulbs cause the virus can be passed on to other plants very easily, by touch (humans or animals) or by vectors (aphids,...) and most other plants will not respond so well to being infected. They do grow and multiply very well, though... they are multiplied by growing side bulbs to flowering size....I've got 10 pots full of different Rembrandts (kept well apart and treated with a systemic pesticide) and every year I have more and more bulbs. Your cultivar is 'Absalon', by the way!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »
Two Rembrandts in my garden:

Tulipa 'Black and White'
and Tulipa 'Mabel'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2017, 09:10:52 PM »
They are virused indeed. Keep them away from other bulbs cause the virus can be passed on to other plants very easily, by touch (humans or animals) or by vectors (aphids,...) and most other plants will not respond so well to being infected.

Too late. They stand in the middle of many other perennial and bulbous plants. I'll see what will happen.  8)

Thank you for your advice.

Groetjes
Hannelore

P.S. Misschien krijg ik dann gestreepte narcissen of margrieten  :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:17:18 PM by Hannelore »

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »
Too late. They stand in the middle of many other perennial and bulbous plants. I'll see what will happen.  8)

Thank you for your advice.

Groetjes
Hannelore

P.S. Misschien krijg ik dann gestreepte narcissen of margrieten  :)

Damn, virus can infect and kill a lot of plants, or make them completely deformed.

Je spreekt Nederlands?
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Hannelore

• The World of Neomarica
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
Damn, virus can infect and kill a lot of plants, or make them completely deformed.

I said already: It will give me the chance to plant something new. Usually there is never enough space for all the wonderful things you see at Hessenhof.nl or other interesting places.
My mother used to plant Rembrandt tulips and parrot tulips more than 60 years ago and she had them always in her flower beds surrounded by all the other flowers. I've never heard that it did harm to any plant. Let's wait and see.

Je spreekt Nederlands?
My husband is Groninger. I can read and understand it. When speaking my accent is horrible.

Groetjes
Hannelore

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
I said already: It will give me the chance to plant something new. Usually there is never enough space for all the wonderful things you see at Hessenhof.nl or other interesting places.
My mother used to plant Rembrandt tulips and parrot tulips more than 60 years ago and she had them always in her flower beds surrounded by all the other flowers. I've never heard that it did harm to any plant. Let's wait and see.
My husband is Groninger. I can read and understand it. When speaking my accent is horrible.

Groetjes
Hannelore

No worries then, you'll see what happens, it might be in the open garden they don't live very long, mine are lifted from their pots every year and stored dry during summer.

De hessenhof does sell exquisite beauties, indeed!

Groninger, way up in the north...you write Dutch very well.

Groetjes

Wim
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 06:50:56 PM »
Tulipa platystigma. Virus?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 07:16:43 PM »
Tulipa platystigma. Virus?

Most probable...Mine looked virused this year too, I threw them away!
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »
Resistance to important antifungal drugs (azoles) may be spread by trade in tulip & narcissus bulbs (summary).
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Anyone interested in going to Uzbekistan next year for tulips (and alpines)?  I know the AGS trips, whilst good, can be a little too expensive for some budgets. Therefore  how about a trip at just $100 per day (all inclusive for land costs) -

Day 01 -    Arrival in Tashkent airport. Transfer to the hotel and accommodation. Overnight in Tashkent

Day 02 -    Tashkent – the Nurata mountains.   Early transfer (7:00 a.m.) to the Nurata mountains (280 km). Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa affinis, Tulipa turkestanica and possibly Tulipa micheliana here too, as they finish blossoming at the end of March. Overnight, guest house  in Asraf village.

Day 03 -    The Nurata mountains - Samarkand.   Continuation of botanic tour in the foothills of the Nurata ridge. Transfer to Samarkand (160 km). Overnight in Samarkand.

Day 04 -    Samarkand.   A day of culture and sightseeing as this might be your only trip to this part of the world. Visit spectacular Registan Square, remains of Bibi-Khanum Mosque, Siyob Bazaar, Shakhi-Zinda Necropolis and Gur-Emir Mausoleum – authentic shrine of Tamerlane. Ulugbek Observatory, Afrosiab Museum. Overnight in Samarkand.

Day 05 -  Samarkand – Kitab.   Transfer over Takhtakaracha mountain pass to Kitab State Geological Reserve. Tulipa fosteriana, Tulipa turkestanica, Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa ingens. Overnight in Shakhrisabz.

Day 06 -     Shakhrisabz – Katta-Lyangar.   Transfer to Katta-Lyangar village. (60 km)
Huge colonies of Tulipa lanata, Tulipa turkestanika, Tulipa micheliana, and Tulipa nitida.
Overnight in Katta-Lyangar.

Day 07 -   Katta-Lyangar – Boisun.   After breakfast transfer to Boisun (150 km).
This area is rich in tulip species as Tulipa korolkovii, Tulipa lanata, Tulipa tubergeniana.
Overnight in Boisun.

Day 08 -     Boisun – Termez - Tashkent   Transfer to Termez (140 km)..
Aftenoon flight to Tashkent. Overnight in Tashkent.

Day 09 -     Tashkent – Beldersay.   Transfer to Beldersay in the Chimgan mountains (150 km).
Tulipa kaufmanniana, Tulipa xtschimganica, Tulipa greigii, Tulipa bifloriformis, Tulipa dubia.
Overnight in Beldersay.

Day 10 -   Beldersay – Kyzylsu – Tashkent.   The Kyzylsu riverbed for Tulipa kaufmanniana, Tulipa xtschimganica, Tulipa greigii, Tulipa bifloriformis, Tulipa dubia. Overnight in Tashkent.

Day 11 -   Tashkent - departure   Transfer to the airport and flight home or you may wish to extend trip for private exploration

The whole tour will be accompanied by an English speaking guide and  a professional botanist.  Everything is included in the price (transfers, accommodation, all meals, entrance fees) except International Airfares; Domestic Flight Termez - Tashkent approx 115 $ p/p (obviously always subject to change); Tourist Visa; Camera and Video charges during sightseeing (when required); Alcohol Drinks.

Total price $1143  if 6 travel
Total price $1043 if 8 travel

If you are interested - no commitment - let me know by private email and I'll supply more details. I'm not on commission and will pay the same as everyone else ! I'm just trying to ascertain interest and then if sufficient the tour is viable. Dates not yet finalised but will be within the first three weeks of April.

Frazer
   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 03:33:43 PM by FrazerHenderson »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
Sounds great, Frazer - hope there is a good response.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal