We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow Snowdrops  (Read 51578 times)

steve owen

Re: Yellow Snowdrops
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
Tort surely.

Of course there will always be those who hide below "Mother Legalitie's" skirts  whether or not they are morally right to do so?
No David, not "tort" - that's a different branch of the law. Check with Wikipaedia. I said the law of libel and slander and meant it.
BTW I didn't understand your following comment (or Maggie's response to it).
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »
A group of yellow Galanthus lagodechianus, grown from seed.

Did you have reason to believe that your seeds would give rise to plants with yellow flowers or was this just a great stroke of good luck?
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2018, 11:00:40 AM »
Maggi, I'm not talking about using other peoples' photos without permission - I don't agree with that either. My concern is the use of the SRGC chat site by contributors to recklessly use words about others, such as "scammer", that could land the user in legal jeopardy and lose lots of money. I would have thought that as Moderator you would not only have found it easy to agree with my point but might have been expected to lead the warnings. That is why I asked you to state official SRGC policy about such reckless criticism of others, which has also applied to discussions about nurserymen. If you don't feel able to provide that advice, please point me to whoever in the SRGC leadership/management can. I repeat, the law of the land applies to the SRGC website as it does to all other forums of public comment.
I do agree with you Steve.
I am not aware of any "reckless"  comments being made. Opinions have been  expressed  and worries  aired  about  sellers - and these have  either been upheld by further evidence of  problems or  been relieved by  reports of  problems solved or fears unfounded. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

sokol

« Reply #273 on: March 14, 2018, 04:58:50 AM »
Did you have reason to believe that your seeds would give rise to plants with yellow flowers or was this just a great stroke of good luck?

Sokol, Are your lagodechianus pure bred, no possibility of hybridisation?  I find lagodechianus an attractive species which grows well for me. I have never encountered a yellow version, unsurprisingly, but there is no reason why they should not exist. They look great!

I have bought the seeds just as Galanthus lagodechianus so really good luck. They have been yellow also last year, when the first ones flowered. I do not know whether there was any hybrididation or not, David.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 05:05:37 AM by sokol »
Stefan
Southern Bavaria, zone 7a

sokol

« Reply #274 on: March 14, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
It is dangerous to attach cultivar name to a found snowdrop unless you know the names of ones that have been lost.  Most of the yellow plicatus snowdrops that I can think of have a larger mark on the inners, 'Madeleine' probably has the smallest with the most rounded top.  Or could it be a hybrid like 'Primrose Warburg' or 'Spindlestone Surprise'?

Thanks Alan, if it is not possible to name it safely I won't use any. I have bought a handful Galanthus bulbs last year and this one was between them.
Stefan

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #275 on: March 14, 2018, 07:18:35 AM »
I have bought a handful Galanthus bulbs last year and this one was between them.

A very important thing is where these bulbs came from.  If you have similar yellow snowdrops already growing in your garden, could a loose bulb have accidentally got mixed-in with the ones you bought?  For example, this year I have a 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' growing in my compost heap.  If you bought them from someone with a collection of named snowdrops then it quite likely your snowdrop is either a named one that went astray or possibly a seedling from other yellow snowdrops.  If you bought from a commercial bulb company then it is very unlikely to be a named snowdrop.  No yellow snowdrops are available from any large bulb company, to the best of my knowledge.  So unless some company is building up stock before a market launch, there just isn't a way for any named snowdrop to get mixed-in with what they supply.       
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #276 on: March 14, 2018, 08:43:42 AM »
Yellow G.lagodechianus is very pretty!! :) I like normal G.lagodechianus, and it flowers well here, but it does produce lots of small bulbs which I think take more time to grow big enough to flower than many other snowdrops.
The first picture is from 2013 and second is from 2017, and last summer I divided the clump to give small bulbs more room to grow.
Leena from south of Finland

sokol

« Reply #277 on: March 14, 2018, 08:55:46 AM »
Very nice pictures Leena. The right plant on the second one is also yellow and has maybe changed into green later.

I will observe mine if the yellow colour is changing.
Stefan

sokol

« Reply #278 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:40 AM »
A very important thing is where these bulbs came from.  If you have similar yellow snowdrops already growing in your garden, could a loose bulb have accidentally got mixed-in with the ones you bought?  For example, this year I have a 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' growing in my compost heap.  If you bought them from someone with a collection of named snowdrops then it quite likely your snowdrop is either a named one that went astray or possibly a seedling from other yellow snowdrops.  If you bought from a commercial bulb company then it is very unlikely to be a named snowdrop.  No yellow snowdrops are available from any large bulb company, to the best of my knowledge.  So unless some company is building up stock before a market launch, there just isn't a way for any named snowdrop to get mixed-in with what they supply.     

After your detailed explanation I must say that there are several possibilities besides the last. I have bought Galanthus from several sellers with named snowdrops and repotted them in August at the same time.
Despite careful working an accident could have happened like a fallen bulb that I have put to the wrong bulbs. I will compare it with my other yellows and hope the question will be solved.
Stefan

Leena

« Reply #279 on: March 14, 2018, 11:59:11 AM »
Very nice pictures Leena. The right plant on the second one is also yellow and has maybe changed into green later.

Thank you. :) I like the low stature of them. What seems yellow is only yellowing caused by cold weather last spring, and it turned green later, unfortunately. Last spring I had yellow in many snowdrops, like in the picture here last March, http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15188.msg374458#msg374458

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #280 on: March 14, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
I like normal G.lagodechianus, and it flowers well here, but it does produce lots of small bulbs which I think take more time to grow big enough to flower than many other snowdrops.
The first picture is from 2013 and second is from 2017, and last summer I divided the clump to give small bulbs more room to grow.
It may be that your plants are  just  disposed to proliferate  by these little bulbs  - but perhaps  splitting them every couple of years and feeding them with a potassium  (kalium) rich feed  in growth would   strengthen them and get them to flowering size more readily.  Worth a try, Leena!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #281 on: March 14, 2018, 07:10:49 PM »
  - but perhaps  splitting them every couple of years and feeding them with a potassium  (kalium) rich feed  in growth would   strengthen them and get them to flowering size more readily.  Worth a try, Leena!

Thanks Maggi, I have fed them with only compost so far, so giving them kalium would be good! :)

Harald-Alex.

« Reply #282 on: April 07, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »
Under the lateflowering snowdrops I found two Yellow, one from G woronowii and one from G.elwesii from Turkey. I will look for them next year, if they are stabile!
Foto1: G. woronowii with yellow markers an yellow ovarium
Foto2: G. elwesii with deep-yellow markers and green ovarium
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal