We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Yellow Snowdrops  (Read 51682 times)

Mariette

Re: Yellow Snowdrops
« Reply #240 on: March 10, 2018, 08:20:10 AM »
Here, with kind permission of Gert Geenson is a photo of a new snowdrop Galanthus nivalis 'Judith's Yelbino'.

The updated list is here:
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=15063.msg370708#msg370708

Thank You for introducing this lovely snowdrop here, Brian!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #241 on: March 10, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
Paint brush, Maggi (or, more accurately, entomological tweezers!). 

I found a flower of Golden Fleece on the floor near the cafe at the Myddleton House sale. It was a bit stepped on but more on the stalk end.  I first questioned whether it was GF as it was a very light lime-y green colour and I wondered whether there was a similar new one or Myddleton had their own version.  I concluded it was most likely GF as it can be quite lime coloured and it hadn't been a good year for plicate yellow colouring.

In order to try and check, I said to Joe that I thought GF had been on the floor by the cafe and he said one had fallen out of Janet Benjafield's hat (I didn't say it was by then safely tucked away in my bag!),  Suffice to say, it 'met' a number of my snowdrops, including my yellow.  i later found a very promising new virescent at the byzantinus site I know and used its pollen on my yellow as well. 

I did have bees working the snowdrops very vigorously on a couple of days a while later (not been a great year for them thus far!) but don't think this one was outside at the time.  Whatever has caused the pods to swell, I'll be watching any seedlings produced with interest!

A much more  interesting story than I could have imagined, Josh!  Nifty bit of  forward thinking on your part there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #242 on: March 10, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
Thank You for introducing this lovely snowdrop here, Brian!

You are very welcome Mariette, unfortunately I just can’t keep up with all the new ones - how Matt copes I don’t know!  Thankfully there is a difference between ‘Yellow Angel’ and ‘Judith’s Yelbino’ and I would love to grow them together to show that off.

What I love about this forum is the sharing of information between members.  Where it scores, hands down, above FaceBook is the search engine for previous posts, and photographs making it a great resource for anyone starting out on the slippery slope of collecting snowdrops!  It is a great community and it was really nice to meet up with Janet LeCore, David and Margaret MacLennan, Chas and Jan Whight, Steve Owen and Alan Briggs and other ‘lurkers’ at Monksilver Nursery today for the ‘Spring Fling’ where there was one major topic of conversation.  Bargains to be had from Tim Fuller (The Plantsmans Preference), Jelly Cottage Plants, Brenda and John Foster and of course Joe himself.  Some people spent far too much - but came away happy!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

steve owen

« Reply #243 on: March 10, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
I have no idea who King Radio is but in the past I bought snowdrops from him/her at different times and they were fine and as-described.

I'm not a lawyer but I think people would be wise not to publicly label Ebay sellers as scammmers when they have no knowledge of them beyond the fact that they may have "borrowed" a picture to illustrate their sale. Some years back I sued my local cabbage-patch newspaper for libel; they lost and it cost them a great deal of money. The law of libel and slander applies to communities-of-interest like Scottish Rock as it does elsewhere. The same note of caution would apply to statements about nurserymen/women. Better to safeguard your money to buy plants.
NCPPG National Collection Holder for Galanthus
Beds/Bucks border

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #244 on: March 10, 2018, 08:22:44 PM »
Members here have shown the  false plants they have been sold by various ebayers.  Many  ebayers - and  others - have been shown to be using other people's photos without permission  in their attempt to make sales. That's theft. 
Thank goodness there are those who will do what they can to  combat  dishonesty.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #245 on: March 10, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
.....The law of libel and slander.....

Tort surely.

Of course there will always be those who hide below "Mother Legalitie's" skirts  whether or not they are morally right to do so?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #246 on: March 10, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
That is so, David - and some of those  find out to their cost the penalties for malicious litigation. 

Mariette

« Reply #247 on: March 10, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »
  Thankfully there is a difference between ‘Yellow Angel’ and ‘Judith’s Yelbino’ and I would love to grow them together to show that off.
So would I, especially as I was introduced to Geert in Kalmthout this year. It´s always nice to associate a snowdrop with a person one met. I noticed that it´s similar to ´Yellow Angel´and am interested to learn about the difference. Anyway, there are really not too many snowdrops of this kind, so new ones are very welcome.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #248 on: March 11, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
The law of libel and slander applies to communities-of-interest like Scottish Rock as it does elsewhere.

I think you are absolutely right, Steve, and this is well worth remembering.  The typical eBay fraudster will be purporting to sell a snowdrop he/she does not actually own and so is obliged to use somebody else's photograph (or show no photo).  Therefore it is only prudent to regard with some suspicion any eBay listing where the photograph has been taken from elsewhere.  It is public-spirited of this forum to alert people when this misuse of other peoples photographs is spotted and to point out that this is grounds for suspicion.  If we stick to this line then I would have thought we should remain on the right side of the law, although I'm not a lawyer either.   
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #249 on: March 11, 2018, 09:24:46 AM »
Well it would look something like this Mariette, of course I don't know about the stature of the plants but 'Yellow Angel' is on the left and 'Judith's Yelbino' on the right.  'Yellow Angel' seems to be more golden whilst 'Judith's Yelbino' is one of the ghostly looking ones like the Estonian Spirit group.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Shauney

« Reply #250 on: March 11, 2018, 10:04:36 AM »
I think you are absolutely right, Steve, and this is well worth remembering.  The typical eBay fraudster will be purporting to sell a snowdrop he/she does not actually own and so is obliged to use somebody else's photograph (or show no photo).  Therefore it is only prudent to regard with some suspicion any eBay listing where the photograph has been taken from elsewhere.  It is public-spirited of this forum to alert people when this misuse of other peoples photographs is spotted and to point out that this is grounds for suspicion.  If we stick to this line then I would have thought we should remain on the right side of the law, although I'm not a lawyer either.

I suspect a good proportion of people buying snowdrops on eBay wouldn't know if a picture or even text has been lifted from elsewhere or not and could be setting themselves up to being duped! The people doing this could actually be selling the correct bulbs they are listing,but you do have to ask why they would choose to use someone else's pic or text over their own! And that has to make you suspicious! I think it is good that this information is being put on this forum so people can make a better judgment and ask the seller questions before choosing to buy the plant. I should also point out that unfortunately it's not just a problem with snowdrops.

Mariette

« Reply #251 on: March 11, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
Well it would look something like this Mariette, of course I don't know about the stature of the plants but 'Yellow Angel' is on the left and 'Judith's Yelbino' on the right.  'Yellow Angel' seems to be more golden whilst 'Judith's Yelbino' is one of the ghostly looking ones like the Estonian Spirit group.
Thank You, Brian - they are both very distinct and well worth naming!

Joe Sharman is said to have sold ´Schwefelfee´in Mannheim. Does anybody know this snowdrop? It´s not mentioned in Joe´s current list.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #252 on: March 11, 2018, 12:16:32 PM »
Galanthus nivalis 'Schwefelfee' was mentioned last year as being  bought at a German Hepatica event - by a happy buyer!

Mariette

« Reply #253 on: March 11, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
Thank You, Maggi, that fits in - there´s a guess that it was selected by Andreas Händel, "Mr. Hepatica".

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #254 on: March 11, 2018, 12:49:50 PM »
contact "carstens", Mariette, he may be able to  say more.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal