We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California  (Read 91335 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: 2017 - Robert's botanical adventures in Northern California
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2017, 06:30:56 PM »
Trond,

Thank you for sharing the photographs of Claytonia siberica. Not native. I guess you have your own invasive species in Norway. I liked how the petals are deeply lobed.  8)

I have to admit that I am having difficulties planning my next outing. There are a number of interesting places where I would like to focus my attention.  :-\  Now that spring weather has arrived, where ever I go it will be good.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »
Robert,

If your difficulties when planning your next outing are too many interesting places, I can't say I feel sorry for you  :D

Good luck at your outing wherever it may be!
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2017, 07:59:56 AM »
Robert,

If your difficulties when planning your next outing are too many interesting places, I can't say I feel sorry for you  :D

Good luck at your outing wherever it may be!

Yes, you got me on that one!  :-[   :)

I did make up my mind and will be traveling to the northern coastal mountains. There are a number of geophythes that may be in bloom: Fritillaria pluriflora is top of the list right now, however there are a few Calochortus species I want to see in this region too. The Calochortus will bloom a bit later. Then there is Erythronium helenae near Mount Saint Helena and other Erythronium species even closer to the coast. I might have to wait until next year to see them.  :'(  I know, I know  ;D  you don't feel sorry for me. I don't either.  ;D
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:28 AM »
I did make up my mind and will be traveling to the northern coastal mountains. There are a number of geophythes that may be in bloom: Fritillaria pluriflora is top of the list right now, however there are a few Calochortus species I want to see in this region too. The Calochortus will bloom a bit later. Then there is Erythronium helenae near Mount Saint Helena and other Erythronium species even closer to the coast...
Really looking forward to your next report :D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »
Really looking forward to your next report :D
cheers
fermi

Hi Fermi,

The weather has changed radically. I is very warm now, at least for this time of year. The outing site is a hybrid of sorts; south of Bear Valley, but north of the lower portions of Cache Creek. A friend of mine found Fritillaria pluriflora near this site. This was back in the 1980's, so who knows.  :-\  Anyway the outing will give me a good assessment of the current conditions in the area. I have a strong hunch that there will be plenty to see.

Thank you for the comment(s). The internet service is terrible here in Sacramento! Much of the time I can only up load my data from my outings in the middle of the night. I have ended up per-writing my outings and then using cut and paste to transfer information. This works well, however at times I can get wordy.  :-\  Hopefully the quality has stayed the same or is still interesting. The last upload turned into a brief essay!  :-\  I'm not sure this is well received or not? After all the idea is to stimulate interest and convey useful information.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

GordonT

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
Robert, no need to worry about being too wordy! I look forward to all of your posts, and learn plenty from each one (you somehow manage to make me google some new plant or location, after each post ;D ) Keep up the wonderful work.... I'm sure I'm not the only one who eagerly awaits your next botanical adventure! It is like being in the backpack of a plant hunter.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »
Gordon is spot on! Couldn't agree more. Don't cut back your word output, Robert!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2017, 12:04:04 PM »
Thanks Ralph and Gordon for  encouraging Robert in his efforts for us.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2017, 06:26:23 PM »
Gordon - Ralph,

Thank you for the feed-back.  8)

I may be in a position to write more. Your comments are helpful and will help shape my new approach.

Gordon,

There is certainly a fascinating variety of plants to see in the wild. There is often considerable variation within a species. New surprises pop-up all the time, even with species that are old fiends.

You have mentioned that you have friends - family in the Clear Lake region. I am sure that when you check with Google (mapping) you can see that I am often not far from Clear Lake.

Thanks again for the feed-back.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
You get it spot on every time Robert.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »
You get it spot on every time Robert.

Hi David,

Thank you for the comment and the reality check! I do not want to get too caught up in my own reality. Certainly I benefit from my participation in the forum, however I want to make sure that whatever I do on the forum is useful to others too.

California has a somewhat long history of exporting beautiful horticultural plants around the world. The world of horticulture is ever changing. New possibilities and ideas are constantly coming forth. I enjoy taking part in this process, even if in only a very small way.

My wife sometimes says that we have the world's smallest botanical garden. It seems that way sometimes. Although I grow plants from every part of the globe (expect Antarctica  ;D  ) it is not surprising that I have many California native species, many from my recent outings (past 4-5 years or so). The fun and challenge is turning this all into a beautiful garden that has interest during all seasons. It is an ongoing and never ending process, however our Sacramento garden is slowly taking shape. The vista from our kitchen windows is captivating and it is pleasant looking out into the garden.  :)

Thanks again for your good words!  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2017, 08:10:36 AM »

Yesterdays outing to the Cache Creek Wilderness was quite the adventure. I did finally arrive!  ???  Yes, just getting to the destination was quite the adventure.

Although the early blooming species have not peaked, there were a few spectacular displays. In addition, there were a number of subtle early blooming plants I found that I am glad that I did not miss. My current work schedule is quite hectic, so my report will be posted, as I am able, during the next 3 to 7 days.

Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ArnoldT

« Reply #117 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
Robert:

I can tell you that from side of the country we area very much looking forward to spring. Had a late season snow storm that wasn't as large as first predicted but still trashed some early Narcissus.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Robert

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2017, 11:48:25 AM »
Robert:

I can tell you that from side of the country we area very much looking forward to spring. Had a late season snow storm that wasn't as large as first predicted but still trashed some early Narcissus.

Arnold,

We too can have some late season foul weather. It can snow as late as 1 April even at low elevations. Right now it looks like we will be returning to our rain. The last 10 days of rain free and warm weather has certainly brought on the wildflowers.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:06 PM »
Although no snow storms here we had a rain storm the other day. My big leaved rhododendrons were already defoliated from previous storms so they had no more leaves to loose. No warm weather either so it is the same plants blooming as last month!

Looking forward to the rest of your report Robert!

Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal