Specific Families and Genera > Saxifraga

Saxifraga 2017

(1/19) > >>

Maggi Young:
Tim Roberts says this site is  a great site for images of saxifraga in Italy......
http://www.actaplantarum.org/acta/galleria.php?lista=0&mode=2&alfa=S&cat=24&cid=68&last=0#p2

Maggi Young:
Shocking and sad news from the world of Saxifrages. David Walkey, a well-known and greatly respected  grower and hybridiser of the genus, based in the village of Tysoe  in Warwickshire, after which his hybrids are  named, passed away on the 12th January.
18 new hybrids  made and named by  David have been  described  by Adrian Young and will be published in the next issue of IRG ( International Rock Gardener  e-magazine) which will go online  at the end of the month.
Many of David's hybrids are being grown and exhibited to considerable success  by the likes of David Hoare at AGS shows.

Our  condolences to the family and loved ones of David Walkey

Thanks to Adrian Young for this photo of David .

Maggi Young:
News from the Saxifraga Society : Following the sad death of our friend David Walkey a funeral will be held on 6th February at 1.03pm at St Marys Church  Tysoe and after wards at the Village Hall.
 There are to be no flowers but a donation for a Chemotherapy chair at Stratford upon Avon Hospital are welcome.

Matt T:
Some time ago there was a question on Facebook about Saxifrages that do well in the garden without protection. I promised a list of those that do well for me here in the Western Isles. I thought folk here would be interested to see it too.

These are all grown in various large pots and troughs in a very well drained potting mix and have no protection other than being sited up against a house wall. Planting them above the rim of the container also helps with drainage.
These are all plants that I have had for some time and grow well for me in the Outer Hebrides (cool, wet summers, mild wet winters, excellent air movement).
Those marked with an * are those that do especially well.
I have others that I don't list here because 1) I've not had them long enough to be proven in my garden or 2) they are slow, but are looking healthy enough and otherwise growing fine.
There are less than a handful of cultivars that I have lost in the 4+ years I've lived here, mainly x elisabethae crosses for some reason.

Cio Cio San (loose habit, but gorgeous flowers)
Bohemia
Beatrix Stanley
Cumulus * (vigorous)
Zlata Praha
Red Poll * (vigorous)
Tvuj Pisen * (a favourite)
Allendale Desire
Kathleen *
Penelope * (vigorous)
Laka
Tvoje Vira *
Athena
Edgar Irmscher
Edith
Allendale Charm * (particularly vigorous, but not the prettiest)
Coolock Gem * (reliably repeat flowering)
Claude Monet *
Jan Neruda *
Also:
S. oppositifolia cvs.
S. lilacina
S. lolaensis
S. paniculata cvs. incl. Pic de Gleize, Lagraveana & Lutea * (all good, tough garden plants)
S. cochlearis cvs.
S. crustata Slovene Silver

Photo: Tvuj Pisen in spring 2016

suesimpson33:
A few already flowering in the Alpine house - too early for me and the shows!

Allendale Elf
Coolock Kate
Joy Bishop
Sissi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version