We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Log 2017  (Read 36621 times)

Harald-Alex.

Re: Bulb Log 2017
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
The Ian Young bulb log of Dec 17 is a verry good excemple for the year round greening of small garden areas with very fine plants.
I was verry surprised, that wild orchids grow there good.
I like this and will realize this in similar places here!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:17:06 PM by Harald-Alex. »
"Im Innersten... pulst das Bedürfnis nach Mitfreude anderer" Karl Foerster 1969

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2017, 02:07:32 PM »
We are often surprised by the plants which enjoy life in this position, Harald-Alex.  For instance , the ground is hard and mostly dry  but Fritillaria meleagris  if happy there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ian mcdonald

« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
Ian, a useful and colourful way to brighten up a driveway. You mentioned dandelions. In north yorks. dandelions flowering in old meadows give an indication that spring is well under way and summer is not far off.

barnclos

« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2017, 05:05:44 PM »
Drive looks great. we have concrete blocks with holes (=planting pockets), so i will see what I can get to grow - it's bone dry in summer.
I have a naive/heretical question - do you ever park a car in your drive?
Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »
Keith,
Bulbs sounds a good option for your small summer dry planting spaces
Cars are only occasionally on that drive but read to the end of the Bulb Log and you will see the other drive where our car sits all the time.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
The 780th Bulb Log and the last one of 2017 is time to reflect back on the past year and look forward to the next.

http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2017Dec271514373368BULB_LOG_5217.pdf
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 11:44:00 AM by Ian Y »

ian mcdonald

« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2017, 12:21:14 PM »
Ian, maybe a few small shrubs could be retained as cover for wildlife in your clearance? I have not yet got round to removing the old runner bean stalks and have seen blue tits finding insects among the old leaves. A valuable source of food for them at this time of year. I have the only front hedge in our street which is used for shelter by small birds. Everyone else has interwoven fences which do not provide shelter, have to be painted with preservative and do not prevent people from entering their properties. We, as gardeners, can do much for our local wildlife. I see more wildlife in my garden now. I think this is because more of our countryside has been destroyed, not because there is more wildlife. I,m sure you will already garden with wildlife in mind but many people have not taken this into account when planting their gardens. My garden is small but there are a variety of habitats for wildlife and plants. Perhaps other members could tell us about the wildlife that use their gardens?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2017, 12:47:53 PM »
Ian, thank you for the ongoing Bulb Log; it has really grown into an invaluable resource.
Thanks too to Maggi and Fred for their perennial work on the Forum, giving us all across the world such a wonderful meeting place. 
They are much appreciated.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2017, 01:08:39 PM »
Ian, maybe a few small shrubs could be retained as cover for wildlife in your clearance? I have not yet got round to removing the old runner bean stalks and have seen blue tits finding insects among the old leaves. A valuable source of food for them at this time of year. I have the only front hedge in our street which is used for shelter by small birds. Everyone else has interwoven fences which do not provide shelter, have to be painted with preservative and do not prevent people from entering their properties. We, as gardeners, can do much for our local wildlife. I see more wildlife in my garden now. I think this is because more of our countryside has been destroyed, not because there is more wildlife. I,m sure you will already garden with wildlife in mind but many people have not taken this into account when planting their gardens. My garden is small but there are a variety of habitats for wildlife and plants. Perhaps other members could tell us about the wildlife that use their gardens?

Ian there is no shortage of habitat in our garden in fact it is quite the opposite with masses of habitats. I also leave the remains of seasonal growth for as long as is practical before cutting it back. When I say I am cutting back some shrubs to open up the ground there will still be stacks of dense shrubby cover. Like you we have plenty of birds and other wildlife in the garden.
I have a friend who lives nearby who hangs out bird feeders but got very few birds visiting while our garden with no feeders was full of birds. I explained to him that it was the lack of cover ll he had was grass with a pole to hold the feeders so I recommended he plant a tree and  a few shrubs within no time he was getting some birds.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
Ian, thank you for the ongoing Bulb Log; it has really grown into an invaluable resource.
Thanks too to Maggi and Fred for their perennial work on the Forum, giving us all across the world such a wonderful meeting place. 
They are much appreciated.

Thank you Ashley for your ongoing support we all appreciate your kind comments.
Happy Gardening.

barnclos

« Reply #175 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:34 PM »
Keith,
Bulbs sounds a good option for your small summer dry planting spaces
Cars are only occasionally on that drive but read to the end of the Bulb Log and you will see the other drive where our car sits all the time.

Thanks Ian. Something weird happened because I only only had the first 18 pages when I first read the log. Bulbs do seem like a good option.
Keith
575 metres, zone 7/8 ish

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
Spring time memories
602746-0

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal