We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Discussion Weekend 2016  (Read 20056 times)

Roma

Re: Discussion Weekend 2016
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2016, 08:52:06 PM »
For me the most interesting and rarely seen plant in the show was Gentiana melandriifolia, shown by Roma Fiddes. I've not seen this in cultivation before, though I have seen it in the wild. I don't have an image of Roma's well flowered plant and hope that someone will post one. This gentian is native to Yunnan in SW China and I saw it in the Cang Shan, above the town of Dali. Here's some pix of this in the wild - another of the fabulous autumn gentian which deserves to be better known.
Thank you for the pictures of Gentiana melandrifolia in the wild.  I remember seeing it, many years ago, at a Discussion Weekend, shown by Mike and Polly Stone.  I think I may have bought my plant from the Club sales table then.  I can't find a reference to their plant in the Journals but found a picture of my plant at the 2002 DWE show in the January 2003 Journal. I hope Ian Christie can propagate it and spread it around. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2016, 09:02:11 PM »
SRGC Conference at Peebles this weekend.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2016, 09:03:58 PM »
SRGC Conference at Peebles this weekend.
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2016, 08:34:17 PM »
Sandy Leven's Show report of the Professional Forrest Medal at Peebles is now online - click  HERE to download
 Wonderful to see the broad smile on Ian McNaughton's face!!

Thank you, Sandy!   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Livermore

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2016, 09:28:34 PM »
Just to say how much we enjoyed our first Discussion Weekend and thanks to everyone for making us very welcome. We were very surprised and pleased to win a Bronze medal and also the photographic holiday competition. Our plants (and us) are now back safely in Hertfordshire. We very much hope to come back up to Peebles next year - our plants are already missing the cooler damper climate!
David and Liz Livermore

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2016, 09:45:30 PM »
David - how lovely to hear that you enjoyed your visit - you'll be welcome back anytime, of course! Thanks for supporting the show as well - well done to you and Liz on your successes.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2016, 12:27:44 PM »
It looks like you all had a fantastic time - sorry not to have been there this year.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2016, 08:03:31 PM »
Sandy Leven has  returned to "work" for the SRGC, after a hectic time of birthday celebrations with his family in a very swanky establishement, not unconnected with a famous son of Dunblane!
 His full report of both the Discussion Weekend Show and the talks over the weekend is now online!
Download it HERE   8) 8)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2016, 08:30:27 PM »
As always Sandy, an excellent report and a great reminder of it for all who enjoyed the weekend so much.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2016, 08:32:09 PM »
Well said, Mr. N. - it really was a splendid weekend and Sandy has captured the atmosphere perfectly.
Cliff Booker

astragalus

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 10:12:01 PM »
Probably no one had a better time at the Discussion Weekend than I did, on my first trip ever to Scotland. John Mitchell picked us up at the airport despite our inconsiderate arrival at 7a.m.  Our first day (Thursday) set the tone with Joe on the golf course and me exploring Peebles at the invitation of Beryl and Ian MacNaughton.  It was wonderful to put faces on to Forum names: Dave M.(Dr. Rock), David Nicholson, who was immediately a buddy and so much fun, Matt T, and too many others to name, not to mention old friends like Cliff Booker and Ian Christie, and new ones like Cyril Lafong. Everyone was so welcoming it calmed the nerves enormously and I so enjoyed all the talks. After visiting a number of gardens it became apparent that the fall blooming gentians are just weeds in Scotland, sigh. I'll post pictures as soon as I do some resizing. I was so sorry to miss seeing Maggi and Ian, but the week just flew by and when we went home Wednesday it really felt we had barely arrived.  Jo managed 5 rounds of golf in 6 days, pretty good. Really loved meeting all of you and thanks so much for inviting me. The welcome mat will always be out for any of you who will cross the pond.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Julia

• Journal Access Group
  • Past SRGC President
« Reply #71 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
It was great meeting you both and your lecture was great, such an amazing garden you have made.
Julia Corden
Head Gardener Goodwood Estate

angie

« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2016, 08:15:19 PM »
Thanks very much for the pictures, Stan.  I was very disappointed not to be able to come.  Nice to see the plants and people enjoying themselves.

Just what I was thinking Roma. We will have to go next year. Great plants everyone .
Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

astragalus

« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2016, 03:03:34 AM »
It was great meeting you both and your lecture was great, such an amazing garden you have made.

Thanks, Julia.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal