We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Evergreen monocarpic Meconopsis hybridisation  (Read 2320 times)

Tristan_He

Evergreen monocarpic Meconopsis hybridisation
« on: October 09, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »
Hi there,

Does anyone know what the pattern of compatibility between the evergreen Mec species is? I have a few plants in the garden that haven't flowered yet and am keen to maintain clean stocks. At the moment I have M. wallichii, seed of M. paniculata which I haven't sown yet, and some garden hybrids of uncertain parentage obtained as "M. regia" (but are clearly not that species).

Would M. paniculata and M. wallichii cross or can I safely grow these together and keep them distinct?

Thanks, Tristan

Tristan_He

Re: Evergreen monocarpic Meconopsis hybridisation
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:56 PM »
Found a reference here that sort of answers this:

Grey-Wilson & Mitchell Sibbaldia article 2007

But still interested in others' views!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:14:17 PM by Tristan_He »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17:57 PM »
Tristan, I presume you had a look here....   http://meconopsisworld.com/Hybrids_species_M.html   
and here http://meconopsis.org/pages/cultivate3.html#raisingseed     to see if there was anything to help you?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tristan_He

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:33:35 PM »
Tristan, I presume you had a look here....   http://meconopsisworld.com/Hybrids_species_M.html   
and here http://meconopsis.org/pages/cultivate3.html#raisingseed     to see if there was anything to help you?

Thanks Maggi. I'm a member of the Mec group and regularly access the website. I also frequent James Cobb's website but had never seen this page before - I find it very difficult to navigate and always seem to end up on the 'blog' pages where I can't find anything! Still, it's a magnificent resource.

Although most Mec websites warn about the risks of larger monocarpic species hybridising, they are a bit vague about which actually do hybridise. Lists of hybrids are a slightly different thing, as just because a hybrid has been recorded doesn't mean it is particularly likely to occur. I have the impression that I should avoid growing more than one of M. paniculata, staintonii, napaulensis and regia though. Likewise integrifolia and sulphurea presumably.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:39:56 PM »
That would be my take - but I'm no expert.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:07:39 PM »
Hello I have grown monocarpic Meconopsis for several years not so many now but in the past have flowered M wallichii white muddy pink and shades of blue have several young plants in the garden just now must get pictures.  I am pleased to hear you are a member of The Meconopsis Group best bet is to contact Ian Scott seed manager, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal