We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132322 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #690 on: May 31, 2020, 09:05:04 PM »
Matt, is there more than one leaf shape in that pot?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #691 on: May 31, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »
Several, David! There are also Celmisias argentea and gracilienta along with a Leptinella and a Luzulla ulophylla or two.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

kris

« Reply #692 on: June 01, 2020, 02:31:48 AM »
Celmisia bellidioides is flowering well this year. There are leaves under there somewhere.
wow!!!
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #693 on: June 01, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »
Celmisia bellidioides is flowering well this year. There are leaves under there somewhere.

Absolutely beautifully arranged, Matt.  I'm thrilled.  I had Celmisia bellidioides two years ago.  ...but it went unnoticed by the ants.  What's your experience with Celmisia argentea?  I've never seen it bloom before.

Cheers
Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #694 on: June 01, 2020, 12:10:35 PM »

Hi Matt
A nice pot of Celmisia bellidioides and C. argentea.  I have not been able to get C. argentea to grow let alone flower.
My C. bellidioides has one flower at present (today) as we are approaching winter.

However Celmisia philocremna has two flowers and some un-opened buds
668105-1

The only other thing that has any flowers at present is Acrothamnus colensoi
668107-2
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 12:37:02 PM by Maggi Young »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #695 on: June 01, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
Absolutely beautifully arranged, Matt.  I'm thrilled.  I had Celmisia bellidioides two years ago.  ...but it went unnoticed by the ants.  What's your experience with Celmisia argentea?  I've never seen it bloom before.

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks Thomas. I like arranging plants in ‘natural’ groups (or what seems natural to me at least) and letting them get in with it.

The C.argentea is growing well but I’ve not had flowers on it. It lives in this pot outside all year round on the east-facing side of the house = sun until noon’ish, protection from the worst of the winds (but not totally), and we’re coastal with a cool, moist maritime climate but no extremes of temperature. 

I’ve had C.sessiliflora in the same pot and it’s flowered reliably in past years, but the last winter storm has all but killed it.
Matt Topsfield

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #696 on: June 01, 2020, 03:26:43 PM »
Hi Matt
A nice pot of Celmisia bellidioides and C. argentea.  I have not been able to get C. argentea to grow let alone flower.

Thanks Dave. I can’t claim any credit, it just happens to like out climate here. Many of the Celmisia do, but not all. The cushion-forming and grassy leaved species do very well. The shrubby and leafier types can be hit by the winter winds but some come back. The more lowland C. mackaui is also doing well. New Zealand plants in general love it here on the Western Isles. We’ve been planting a shelter belt of almost exclusively NZ plants.
Matt Topsfield

Leucogenes

« Reply #697 on: June 01, 2020, 04:49:14 PM »
Thanks Thomas. I like arranging plants in ‘natural’ groups (or what seems natural to me at least) and letting them get in with it.

The C.argentea is growing well but I’ve not had flowers on it. It lives in this pot outside all year round on the east-facing side of the house = sun until noon’ish, protection from the worst of the winds (but not totally), and we’re coastal with a cool, moist maritime climate but no extremes of temperature. 

I’ve had C.sessiliflora in the same pot and it’s flowered reliably in past years, but the last winter storm has all but killed it.

Thanks, Matt...

Here it is still a small challenge to successfully cultivate native NZ.  The small Celmisia's have never bloomed in my garden.  But my interest is not only in the flowers... that's why I'm also excited about the foliage.  Your climate seems ideal for alpine NZ.  Here the winters can sometimes be too cold for that...because the protecting snow is in short supply.

At the moment Celmisia alanii is in bloom.

David... your photos are magical... as always. 😉

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #698 on: June 05, 2020, 01:58:01 AM »
Matt, that is a wonderful "pot" garden with its flowering and foliage plants growing beautifully. It is exactly what we would like to see in the miniature garden classes in our OAGG Annual Show - but, alas, do not ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leucogenes

« Reply #699 on: June 12, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »
Here I need an identification... which Pimelea it is.  The leaves are narrower and smaller than Pimelea traversii.

Thanks
Thomas 😎

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #700 on: June 13, 2020, 12:51:34 PM »
Here I need an identification... which Pimelea it is.  The leaves are narrower and smaller than Pimelea traversii.

Thanks
Thomas 😎
Hi Thomas,
Identifying Pimeleas is not easy at the best of times, especially if cultivated.  Do you have any information where it came from? I agree it does not look like P. traversii. It could be one of the forms of Pimelea prostrata.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #701 on: June 13, 2020, 01:39:26 PM »
Hi Thomas,
Identifying Pimeleas is not easy at the best of times, especially if cultivated.  Do you have any information where it came from? I agree it does not look like P. traversii. It could be one of the forms of Pimelea prostrata.

Hi David

I thank you for your efforts.  I'm afraid I have no more detailed information on this Pimelea.  Nevertheless, I like her very much.

In the appendix, Craspedia lanata... in the pot.  The small group in the Alpinum also shows some flowers in growth...  but the final result will take some time... 🤞

Leucogenes

« Reply #702 on: July 19, 2020, 09:44:42 AM »
Last Friday was a particularly good day for me...after years of "asking" I received two beautiful specimens of Leucogenes neglecta from my friend in the Arctic Alpine Garden.  He could successfully propagate this "jewel" by cuttings.

Cheers
Thomas

hamparstum

• knowledge unexercised is wasted learning
« Reply #703 on: July 19, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »
Very beautiful specimens Thomas! I understand and join you! 8)
Arturo
Arturo Tarak

Leucogenes

« Reply #704 on: July 21, 2020, 11:12:51 AM »
Very beautiful specimens Thomas! I understand and join you! 8)
Arturo

Thanks Aturo...

all four subspecies of Leucogenes are like the holy grail to me.  I had lost all my plants in the last two years.  I hope to have better luck with Leucogenes neglecta.  This subspecies is probably very rare in cultivation.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal