We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132366 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #555 on: May 26, 2019, 08:56:47 PM »
Hi Dave
Many thanks for the great report from the hike with David and Brian. It looks like you had a nice day with sunshine and lots of interesting plants. The foliage of Myosotis rakiura is especially great.

Short time after I read your article this morning, David also showed some photos from the trip to Bluff on the platform of
inaturalist.nz
I am there a silent observer of the many pictures of David...full of admiration.

One of the few native NZ, which is very reliable with me, shows first signs of flowering... Raoulia haastii.

Cheers
Thomas

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #556 on: May 27, 2019, 07:01:45 AM »
Dave,
Amazing seedheads on Lobelia angulata. I think it's one I have seen in flower in your summer, but I didn't realise it had such colourful seedheads later on. Thanks for showing!

Yes there are colourful aren't they Carolyn. There were also still a few white flowers elsewhere on the large patch.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #557 on: May 27, 2019, 07:05:43 AM »
Hi Dave
Many thanks for the great report from the hike with David and Brian. It looks like you had a nice day with sunshine and lots of interesting plants. The foliage of Myosotis rakiura is especially great.

Short time after I read your article this morning, David also showed some photos from the trip to Bluff on the platform of
inaturalist.nz
I am there a silent observer of the many pictures of David...full of admiration.

One of the few native NZ, which is very reliable with me, shows first signs of flowering... Raoulia haastii.

Cheers
Thomas

Thanks Thomas I will have a quick look at Davids posting on Inaturalist NZ .

Your Raoulia haasti is a species I currently don't have ,yours looks a sizable patch ... :)

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #558 on: May 29, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
I had a very enjoyable stay in Invercargill. Dave had invited me down to give a talk to the Southland AGS and I was able to spend the morning with them at Bluff. The coastal walk is very interesting and you can see some of the plants that were once common round the southern coasts but are now very rare due to grazing and competition from exotics.

In January I visited the other end of the South Island, the Paparoa Range on the northern part of the West Coast. It is an area that I have always wanted to visit and was not disappointed. We walked up an old miners road called the Croesus Track. It runs from Blackball over the crest of the range to Barrytown on the coast. It is well graded and apart from being infested with mountain bikers is very pleasant.

A colony of sundews, Drosera spatulata growing on impoverished soils derived from coal measures.

A fern Schizaea australis growing along side the sundews

This little plant growing on the side of the track is Jovellana repens

A small climbing rata Metrosideros diffusa

Growing in the open clearings along the track Chionochloa conspicua, the largest species of Chionochloa. It grows in the forest along streams rather than in montane or alpine grassland.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #559 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »
continuing; Ferns beside the track

This clearing was the site of a hotel. You can see the crest of the range from it

Another view from the clearing. You can see the arching stems of Chionochloa conspicua.  The tall divaricating shrub with weeping branches in the centre of the photo is Myrsine divaricata

Further up the track but still in the forest we found Ourisia macrophylla subsp lactea

Up near treeline Dracophyllum traversii became common. You can see it here with its massive inflorescences terminating the branches.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #560 on: May 29, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »
The forest transitions into a shrub zone. The treeline is depressed because of burning in the gold mining era so there is quite a large shrub zone above the forest proper. Here you find Brachyglottis eleagnifolia

Gaultheria depressa var novae-zelandiae This one is a red-fruited form rather than the usual white.

Rubus parvus which is a forest species but here it is found in the scrub zone

A large celmisia Celmisia semicordata subsp semicordata growing in mixed shrubland/tussock/herbfield

and a second celmisia Celmisia armstrongii which has stiff erect leaves with a prominent orange midrib.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #561 on: May 29, 2019, 10:40:38 AM »
Now we are getting some interesting plants; the curious Aciphylla hookeri. First a non-flowering rosette

and a female seed head

Epilobium pernitens tucked between some rocks

and Euphrasia cockayneana It is easily identifiable by its yellow flowers and was very common.

last but not least a curious weka. He was a bit wet because it had rained earlier and was trying to shake the water off his feathers so looks a bit dishevelled.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #562 on: May 29, 2019, 11:04:39 AM »
Fantastic pictures and explanations... David. The waiting was worth it.😉

Greetings
Thomas

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #563 on: May 29, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
Super  photos!  That Aciphylla hookeri  must  be  in the  running for  most  armoured plant!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #564 on: May 31, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »
Super  photos!  That Aciphylla hookeri  must  be  in the  running for  most  armoured plant!

It needed to protect itself from hungry moas. The other interesting thing is the pattern of orange pigmentation on the leaf segments which one of my scientific colleagues would say is another adaptation to deter being eaten. He suggested a similar pigmentation pattern on the leaves of the toothed lancewood (Pseudopanax ferox) served a similar purpose. I cant remember the precise details of the story. I should show him these pictures and see if he has an opinion on them. It is quite restricted in its occurrence more or less to the northern part of the West Coast.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #565 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
It needed to protect itself from hungry moas. The other interesting thing is the pattern of orange pigmentation on the leaf segments which one of my scientific colleagues would say is another adaptation to deter being eaten. He suggested a similar pigmentation pattern on the leaves of the toothed lancewood (Pseudopanax ferox) served a similar purpose. I cant remember the precise details of the story. I should show him these pictures and see if he has an opinion on them. It is quite restricted in its occurrence more or less to the northern part of the West Coast.
Oh, that is  interesting - perhaps  to  make the  plant  look past  it's  best  - fascinating how these things work!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #566 on: June 01, 2019, 11:02:33 AM »
When you are camped up high you get a nice view first thing in the morning.

Sunrise on the Paparoa Range

Looking across the tussock-covered slopes to Croesus Knob

Looking back over the Grey Valley eastwards to the Southern Alps. The valley is full of mist. The hut was full of teenage girls so we choose to camp a few hundred metres further away. Much more peaceful!

Most of the area is a bog so it is not easy finding level, dry spots for a tent. However you can find lots of plants.
Donatia novae-zelandiae.

Drosera arcturi back lit by thee early morning sun.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #567 on: June 01, 2019, 11:16:02 AM »
Bogs are great hunting grounds for alpine flowers.
Celmisia alpina -very different from the forms that are found further south in Otago. This one is a turf with tiny leaves and flowers.

A small Craspedia that probably does not have a name

A tiny creeping Euphrasia, Euprasia disperma with a very long funnel-shaped corolla.

and Forster mackayi. This replaces Forstera sedifolia in the north-western part of the South Island

David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #568 on: June 01, 2019, 11:27:00 AM »
Staying in the bog
Herpelirion novae-zelandiae

Pentachondra pumila flowers

and fruit

Phyllachne colensoi

Shrubs are interspersed all through the area. Here is  manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) in flower. It can tolerate poor soils and does not mind being dry or damp.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #569 on: June 01, 2019, 11:40:02 AM »
Another Aciphylla, Aciphylla horrida. it was a bit of a struggle getting into position to take this photo as the plant was growing in a pile of boulders surrounded by other vegetation.

Celmisia armstrongii positioned nicely beside the track.

Celmisia discolor perhaps the most common species in the area

and close up showing flowers

Celmisia semicordata subsp semicordata and for Thomas a clump of Leucogenes in the background)
(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 11:42:00 AM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal