We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132375 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #510 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
I will put this in on this thread even though it is an interloper from Chile, Ourisia coccinea. It is surrounded by New Zealand natives

and Helichrysum intermedium var tumidum which I posted earlier but is now fully in flower.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:18:01 AM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #511 on: November 22, 2018, 12:31:59 AM »
I will put this in on this thread even though it is an interloper from Chile, Ourisia coccinea. It is surrounded by New Zealand natives

It may be an intruder but it's very pretty, and combines very well with Celmisia.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #512 on: November 22, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Hi Gabriela,

I find it a very interesting plant; we have several Ourisia species in New Zealand most of which have large showy flowers. However they are all white (as are the majority of our native alpines) The scarlet tubular flowers of Ourisia coccinea suggest to me it is adapted for bird pollination and the pollinators are perhaps humming birds. I have seen humming birds in Canada feeding on the flowers of the scarlet runner bean and in the US feeding on Aquilegia species.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Gabriela

« Reply #513 on: November 23, 2018, 01:12:27 AM »
Yes, David, I remember you showed other NZ native Ourisia.
Indeed the tubular flowers could be pollinated by hummingbirds; there are also various long-tongue bees/moths (at least in North America) who could pollinate them.

The days are short now, no garden work necessary so I will add something more. There are various studies about/if the hummingbirds indeed prefer the red flowers colour or is it just a coincidence that the flowers with the best nectar from a certain region are mostly red. There is only one hummingbird species present in Ontario and not many individuals around my garden but this summer I had the occasion to watch by comparison what they will prefer: the red Penstemon cardinalis flowered on the same time I bought a deep blue Salvia guaranitica (grown as an annual here). Salvia was planted close to the Penstemon.
And the answer is - the blue Salvia! The concept that they prefer red is widespread; even all hummingbird feeders are coming in red :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #514 on: November 23, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
Colour might still influence preference but perhaps they sample both then concentrate on the nectar of higher sugar content, rather like honey bees. 
Here the closest we have to nectar-feeding birds are hummingbird hawk moths (Macroglossum stellatarum) which visit flowers of various colours (incl. salvias) but have clear favourites.  To me this suggests higher sugar content and/or higher production of nectar, but who's going to do the controlled experiments? ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gabriela

« Reply #515 on: November 23, 2018, 11:11:21 PM »
Colour might still influence preference but perhaps they sample both then concentrate on the nectar of higher sugar content, rather like honey bees. 
Here the closest we have to nectar-feeding birds are hummingbird hawk moths (Macroglossum stellatarum) which visit flowers of various colours (incl. salvias) but have clear favourites.  To me this suggests higher sugar content and/or higher production of nectar, but who's going to do the controlled experiments? ;D

You're right Ashley, the sweetness of the nectar is important; then there is also the fact that they remember the sources of nectar so another speculation is that they prefer the familiar plants if given a choice...As you mention, regarding the 'controlled' experiments, we can only laugh at the idea  ;D

Sorry David for taking over the NZ plants thread.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #516 on: November 24, 2018, 10:16:22 AM »
Not a problem Gabriela; these questions of flower biology and pollination are always interesting especially if we are looking at the same genus that is adapting its pollination strategy in different continents where there is a completely different set of potential pollinators.

Ashley, you would be surprised on how much ingenuity goes in to devising quantitative pollination experiments and the field work involved!
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

brianw

Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #518 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
From the 2019 field season; (hope Mr Toole can contain himself)

Celmisia traversii

more pictures to come
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #519 on: January 20, 2019, 07:24:22 PM »
Even at cold nights (-12°C) some do not show any weaknesses...

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #520 on: March 17, 2019, 07:59:57 AM »
I thought there might be some interest in a crevice sand bed for NZ alpine flora established just over a year ago which is starting to fill up with plenty of room still left for future planting.

Feb 2018 --Placement of limestone rocks and partial filling with river sand .

View today March 2019.

Leucogenes grandiceps.

Leptinella goyeni.

Celmisia angustifolia silver leafed form.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #521 on: March 17, 2019, 08:12:50 AM »
Close up .

Phyllachne rubra with a flower about to open.

Celmisia angustifolia.

Celmisia viscosa silver leafed form.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #522 on: March 17, 2019, 08:26:33 AM »
Overview.

Ranunculus crithmifolius.

Dracophyllum prostratum.

An unknown Celmisia .C. angustifolia hybrid ?.

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 08:29:00 AM by t00lie »

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #523 on: March 17, 2019, 09:16:29 AM »
Hello Dave

It's wonderful to marvel at your bed. A fantastic work. All plants look very good. Especially I envy you Phyllachne rubra and Ranunculus crithmifolius. Both are in this year's sowing season with me...but so far I am waiting in vain for germination. I have to become more patient.

I wish you a good development of the new bed and look forward to more pictures from your garden.

Cheers
Thomas
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:19:25 AM by Leucogenes »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #524 on: March 17, 2019, 09:20:59 AM »
Nice job Dave.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal