We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 134172 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »
Now Acrothamnus colensoi blossoms third sometimes this year. And every time these are more blossoms. Unfortunately, there is no suitable dusting. I have tried it already myself. With a tiny paintbrush. Unfortunately, without success. Thus I will further take pleasure in the small blossoms. A sign for the fact that it goes well to him.

But today for it I have discovered with my Coprosma petriei over again two berries. 😊

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #256 on: November 06, 2017, 10:27:07 AM »
Thomas, My Acrothamnus colensoi has yet to produce any flowers but with a few days warm weather many of the plants in my crevice garden have started to flower. Just a couple of pictures of Hebe buchananii for a start.  I have several plants from different collections.

David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #257 on: November 06, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »
Hello David,

a nice flower splendour. On the right side I recognise Helichrysum selago... correctly?? Also the yellow lichens on the stones proves a nice contrast.

Daily a photo of your garden... and my day is saved. ;D

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #258 on: November 07, 2017, 09:15:17 AM »
Yes, the plant in the picture is Helichrysum intermedium var tumidum (or to use its former name Helichrysum selago var tumidum)
Next picture is Anaphalioides bellidioides. This grows as a wild plant on the family farm but makes a nice plant for the rock garden.

Next three pictures of Myosotis saxosa

close up of flowers

(with Acrothamnus colensoi)
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #259 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Some more plants;
Astelia nivicola A really good rock garden plant with its lustrous foliage.  Astelia nervosa is the species that is more commonly grown as there are several forms with red foliage.

Anisotome haastii The plant is rather small as the site is not suitable for it as it is two dry

Carmichaelia monroi (originally purchased from Hokonui Alpines). It grows well in a pot.

Close up of flowers Note that the calyx is hairy. This is the easiest way to distinguish it from Carmichaelia vexillata which has glabrous calyces but otherwise is very similar.

David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #260 on: November 07, 2017, 09:50:26 AM »
Staying with the Carmichaelia collection, Carmichaelia vexillata which has glabrous calyces. This is the common species of dwarf broom found in Otago. C. monroi does not occur in Otago but is found in the northern part of the South Island.

Close up of flowers

A rather beautiful Celmisia originally collected from the Black Birch Range in Marlbourough and propagated by Stuart Murray. It is a hybrid most likely between Celmisia sessiliflora and Celmisia insignis

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:54:33 AM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #261 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
A glorious celmisia, David.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Leucogenes

« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »
Hello, David.

I lack almost the words. What for nice plants you have in your garden. My absolute admiration. Particularly has impressed me the nice small Celmisia - hybrid. And with both Carmichaela I do not know whether I should laugh or cry. So an absolutely fantastic C. monroi I have never seen. A splendour. Violet of the blossoms shines particularly. It becomes a time that Hokonui alpine open an establishment in Europe. This would be nice for me. 😊

I had really big trouble to concentrate upon my work (carpenter), after I have seen your pictures. I always had to think of these plants.

Thanks and greetings
Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #263 on: November 08, 2017, 08:09:13 AM »
A glorious celmisia, David.

Hello Cliff,
It is a marvellous plant; far better than any other Celmisia sessiliflora hybrids I have seen. A range of Celmisia sessiliflora hybrids are frequently encountered in the wild and usually are identified under the epithet C. x linearis. Most are hybrids with C. lyallii but I have one here that is about to flower that is a hybrid with C. spedenii. I am hoping it does not die after flowering as  cultivated celmisias sometimes do.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2017, 08:32:44 AM »
Hello Thomas,

Carmichaelias are very good plants to grow in pots. However you need to be careful to water them as they do not wilt if they dry out and can be dead before you are aware there is a problem.

Continuing with the Celmisias

Celmisia bellidioides. This grows near mountain streams often in running water so in needs a cool damp spot in the garden.

Celmisia prorepens This is a snowbank plant very common in Otago. It is closely related to C. densiflora which has tomentose undersurfaces to it leaves The leaves of C. prorepens are glabrous and slightly sticky.

A Celmisia hybrid from Hokonui Alpines. Probably a C. gracilenta hybrid

Now something different Gaultheria crassa.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:36:06 AM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2017, 08:49:24 AM »
A close up of the flowers of Gaultheria crassa

Ranunculus insignis 'monroi' This is a form of R. insignis which grows on the Black Birch Range in Marlborough. It is smaller than R. insignis and has brown hairs on the leaf margins.

The final plant I will post is not a native of New Zealand but a native of Chile, Ourisia coccinea. The flowers are red and tubular so I am assuming they are pollinated by humming birds (like N. American Aquilegias). All New Zealand species of Ourisia have white flowers. O. coccinea needs to be grown in a really damp spot as it requires constant moisture.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:52 AM »
The final plant I will post is not a native of New Zealand but a native of Chile, Ourisia coccinea. The flowers are red and tubular so I am assuming they are pollinated by humming birds (like N. American Aquilegias). All New Zealand species of Ourisia have white flowers. O. coccinea needs to be grown in a really damp spot as it requires constant moisture.

This would be suitable for planting in the 'moraine'. (I made him last year)
I have made water running through the roots. Well the full sun.
A small video 

How I made them  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8wSWiwm_WABaDBzaGczZF9MYjg

594646-0

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:24:38 AM by Jan Tholhuijsen »
You are never to old to learn.

Leucogenes

« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:55 AM »
Hello Thomas,

Carmichaelias are very good plants to grow in pots. However you need to be careful to water them as they do not wilt if they dry out and can be dead before you are aware there is a problem.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

... I do not have the problem. Since, unfortunately, I have at the moment no Carmichaelia in my small collection. 😭 to thanks for the tip with C. bellidioides. Now I know why my only copy has died. Too drily. With C. prorepens likes me particularly the foliage. All plants feel very well with you.

I got the last week a Celmisia cracilenta. However, I do not know it whether a hybrid is. The foliage shines very metallically.

Thomas

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #268 on: November 11, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
Nice to see Celmisia gracilenta Thomas.

They can be quite variable and those with mottled leaves are lovely.

I used to grow a few different forms however as space over time became a premium I gave most of them away although I still have a couple left including a plant that is rhizomatous.

Leucogenes leontopodium flowering today in the newish front sand bed.

Cheers Dave.

594839-0

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #269 on: November 11, 2017, 09:20:06 AM »
Beautiful, Dave. Best regards from the UK.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal