We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132347 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:38 AM »
An entry in our local Alpine Garden Group show last Friday was this lovely narrow leafed Celmisia hybrid.  :o I'd grow it for the foliage alone  :P ;D .

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 07:51:43 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
An entry in our local Alpine Garden Group show last Friday was this lovely narrow leafed Celmisia hybrid.  :o I'd grow it for the foliage alone  :P ;D .

(Attachment Link)

wonderful
You are never to old to learn.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2017, 09:53:51 AM »
 ;Dave...

What wonderful plant. The narrow form and the colour are breathtaking. With most NZ it is for me anyway about the whole disposition. Who are the parents of this hybrid? Are there even other photos of the show with native NZ?

I stand on the strong hairs..., however, only with plants! 😜

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2017, 11:05:19 PM »
Went into Central Otago last weekend and visited Flat Top Hill and Pisa Flats. These are dryland sites and are home to some unique plants. First Pimelea aridula from Flat Top Hill. This shrub species grows on dry sunny sites and is a spectacular sight when flowering.

591550-0

591552-1

Next Myosotis uniflora at Pisa Flats. The Myosotis grows on dry gravel outwash terraces above the Clutha River. The Pisa Flats population has bright yellow flowers. In most of the other populations the flowers are lemon -yellow fading to white.

591554-2

591556-3

591558-4
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #214 on: October 11, 2017, 12:47:50 AM »
Thanks David - it is always interesting to see pictures with NZ native plants and their habitats!
This is my first 'encounter' with a Pimelea which is on the same time beautiful and intriguing; had to google for the family, the flowers seemed a bit Daphne- like looking but one can never be sure with such different flora.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #215 on: October 11, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »
Thanks David - it is always interesting to see pictures with NZ native plants and their habitats!
This is my first 'encounter' with a Pimelea which is on the same time beautiful and intriguing; had to google for the family, the flowers seemed a bit Daphne- like looking but one can never be sure with such different flora.

Hi Gabriela,

Pimelea is in the Daphne Family (Thymelaeaceae). There are a number of species in New Zealand as well as many in Australia. Some of the Western Australian ones look really strange.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #216 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:58 AM »
Myosotis uniflora at Pisa Flats. The Myosotis grows on dry gravel outwash terraces above the Clutha River. The Pisa Flats population has bright yellow flowers.
Wow, David,
have you been able to introduce this form into cultivation?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #217 on: October 11, 2017, 04:24:32 AM »
Went into Central Otago last weekend and visited Flat Top Hill and Pisa Flats. These are dryland sites and are home to some unique plants. First Pimelea aridula from Flat Top Hill. This shrub species grows on dry sunny sites and is a spectacular sight when flowering.

Next Myosotis uniflora at Pisa Flats. The Myosotis grows on dry gravel outwash terraces above the Clutha River. The Pisa Flats population has bright yellow flowers. In most of the other populations the flowers are lemon -yellow fading to white.

Thank you David, learned something again/
You are never to old to learn.

Leucogenes

« Reply #218 on: October 11, 2017, 07:51:17 AM »
Hello, David

Once again you show plants me very much arouse enthusiasm. I find the type Pimelea also very interesting. I have at the moment only P. coarctata and P. traversii in my small collection. I like P. traversii particularly. Because she almost looks like a Hebe . Unfortunately, she is almost dead. But I will try to get a new one.

And the yellow Myosotis is the hammer. The colour is magnificent. But even more interesting is the form of the blossom. A nice cushion with blossoms without stalk. An absolute dream. They you really should try to set up in your garden.

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #219 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:35 AM »
Wow, David,
have you been able to introduce this form into cultivation?
cheers
fermi

No I cant really collect seed; the site is a Department of Conservation Scientific Reserve
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #220 on: October 11, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
No I cant really collect seed; the site is a Department of Conservation Scientific Reserve

It really requires a lot of discipline to collect no seeds from such nice plants. I find this very impressive. Here one sees the true friend and keeper of the local flora. My absolute respect. I do not know whether I so much self-control would have... if I am honest. It is well this something so still gives.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »
Yes, thank you David. Is it fragrant as well?
I did my homework and read about it on the NZ Plant Conservation Network, but they don't mention about scent.

A good link I think for Thomas to browse when he cannot sleep thinking at NZ plants ;D
http://nzpcn.org.nz/flora_details.aspx?ID=1119
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2017, 10:46:35 AM »
Yes, thank you David. Is it fragrant as well?
I did my homework and read about it on the NZ Plant Conservation Network, but they don't mention about scent.

A good link I think for Thomas to browse when he cannot sleep thinking at NZ plants ;D
http://nzpcn.org.nz/flora_details.aspx?ID=1119

Not noticeably fragrant.

The NZPCN (New Zealand Plant Conservation Network) site is a very authoritative site. It is pretty much up to date with taxonomy and naming. I use it a lot. However you need to join the NZPCN to get access to the high resolution photos. It has a forum where you can submit plant photos for ID purposes
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2017, 11:21:41 AM »
Hello, Gabriela.

I know this side. Of course. She really has very good information. One finds very nice pictures also here... [url=http://www.naturewatch.org.nz    A lot of pictures are photographed by David. Wonderfully! 

By the way... I can sleep very well. However, I very often dream of alpine plants. Really. Indeed, not only from New Zealand plants. Also by your North American native country I walk. 

Sometimes I ask myself whether I am crazy. 😆

Thomas
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 05:39:02 PM by Leucogenes »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »
No, Thomas ... you aren't any more crazy than most of us ... we all dream of plants, habitats and winning Farrer and Forrest Medals ... it's called addiction.  ;)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal