We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132314 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2017, 10:06:46 PM »
Today the difference has already struck me with stamens. With work on / compress of the photos one sometimes sees better than in the nature. I have already had the supposition that I do not have the real M. pulvinaris. Pity. But this kind is also okay. Many thanks for the ID.

The origin and source of supply of the first plant of Jan would interest me also very much. 😉

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2017, 11:50:04 PM »
Thomas and David,

My second picture, same as Thomas, I bought in spring 2013 from a Dutch company Philip van Hilst. He is always on the spring sale of the NRV (Dutch Rock Plants Association). He is a commercial grower who grows plants in potting soil / peat. (fast and large) So hard to switch them to my poor permeable ground. I bought 2 with a diameter of 7-8 cm. One died and this survives. First year he grew bigger, second year I thought they both die, but one survived.

The first 'unknown' myosotis. I always write in my Dbase where and when I buy plants and not at this. But I suspect who it is and I have already sent the grower an email. I'll wait until tomorrow.

And thank you David for the correct name to M glabrescens, I'm going to change that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:52:57 PM by Jan Tholhuijsen »
You are never to old to learn.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Hello Thomas, Jan,

Thomas, Your Myosotis pulvinaris plant is Myosotis glabrescens. I believe the seed was originally collected from the Eyre Mountains but the collector did not realise the plant was not Myosotis pulvinaris but Myosotis glabrescens. I have never seen this species in the wild and would really like to find it. If you look at the flowers you can set the stamens are exserted out beyond the corolla scales. In Myosotis pulvinaris the stamens are not exserted out beyond the corolla scales. You should be able to see this feature in my pictures.

Jan , I think you second plant is Myosotis glabrescens as well as it looks very similar to Thomas's plants. I do not know what your first plant is. Do you know where it was originally collected from?

I found the grower. He says, not from seed.
All cuttings of plants, there are several types on circulation. No further data.
I'll wait for what's going to happen next year, maybe he'll bloom. Then I'll make photos again.

Leucogenes

« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
I found the grower. He says, not from seed.
All cuttings of plants, there are several types on circulation. No further data.
I'll wait for what's going to happen next year, maybe he'll bloom. Then I'll make photos again.

...and of course also cuttings... 😆

Leucogenes

« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
nothing special..., however, always nicely in this season. Gaultheria parvula and Gaultheria macrostigma.

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #200 on: September 24, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Hello Thomas /Jan 
Sorry I'm a bit late to the conversations about Myosotis .... ::)

Here's a photo I took on a dark ,very soggy day back in 2010 on the western edge of the Eyre Mountains of what I suspect is Myosotis glabrescens .

David L. and I have recently discussed the possibility of a field trip in a few months time..... so we may have an update ;D 

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #201 on: September 24, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »
Hello Dave,

to hear nice retime from you. A really very nice photo. This copy looks great.
On the left you can see an Acyphilla ... or ?? Especially nicely I find the sombre and foggy mood on your photo... even if this do not walk maybe is so easy. A wonderful contrast with the plant. I love such pictures.

I hope David and you will have an interesting excursion. Besides, in my thought I am... every time.😉

Cheers Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #202 on: September 24, 2017, 10:26:21 AM »
Dave... How are the climatic conditions in this location? I suppose this the precipitation relatively a lot is... or? Since I lose regularly some copies in summer. 😭 I will probably more often have to pour in next summer this segment.

Thomas
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:48:34 PM by Leucogenes »

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:02 AM »

Thomas

Although the Eyre Mountains are away from the coast in Northern Southland and drier they are just a short distance from Fiordland where rainfall can measure in metres pa. :o

Fog plays a part in many mountainous regions of NZ so that moisture is freely available for alpines even on the apparently desiccated slopes east of the main divide further up the South Island  .I understand in this respect this is unlike many mountain regions abroad where droughts in summer are common ......
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
Hello Thomas /Jan 
Sorry I'm a bit late to the conversations about Myosotis .... ::)

Here's a photo I took on a dark ,very soggy day back in 2010 on the western edge of the Eyre Mountains of what I suspect is Myosotis glabrescens .

David L. and I have recently discussed the possibility of a field trip in a few months time..... so we may have an update ;D 

Cheers Dave.

Beautiful picture, Dave. With me in the garden no more than 1 flower. This photo is from 2014. No flowers left, but the plant is still there. The new one is very different and is in a trough, picture2, waiting for what this is going to be.

Leucogenes

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2017, 07:19:52 PM »
Dave... the best thanks for interesting explanations to the climatic conditions in the New Zealand mountains. The fog presumably explains also the partly strong hairs of some plants. Maybe I can improve the irrigation in single areas in my small New Zealand - area in summer.

But most NZ with me are presumably none highly alpine... and grow very well.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »
... and here one more novice in my small collection. Drapetes dieffenbachii (formerly Kelleria dieffenbachii). A plant about which I particularly am glad. I hope I can hold this plant  in the life. Please, keeps to me the fingers crossed.

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2017, 07:56:36 PM »
... and here one more novice in my small collection. Drapetes dieffenbachii (formerly Kelleria dieffenbachii). A plant about which I particularly am glad. I hope I can hold this plant  in the life. Please, keeps to me the fingers crossed.

I'm curious, Thomas. Let's hear how it goes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:54:31 AM by Jan Tholhuijsen »

Leucogenes

« Reply #208 on: October 02, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
Today was a good day. I could buy many nice alpine again. It are natural also some from NZ, besides... once again Veronica densifolia and Clematis marmoraria.

And I am glad about this novice particularly... 2 x Celmisia
 bellidioides. 😁
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:10:35 PM by Leucogenes »

Jan Tholhuijsen

« Reply #209 on: October 03, 2017, 04:55:30 AM »
Today was a good day. I could buy many nice alpine again. It are natural also some from NZ, besides... once again Veronica densifolia and Clematis marmoraria.

And I am glad about this novice particularly... 2 x Celmisia
 bellidioides. 😁

Hi Thomas,

Congratulations on your nice purchases.

I have the mamoraria now from spring 2014. This year for the first time a few flowers. (actually you must have two plants I thought man and woman, I do not know well)
However, you must protect him a little bit during the frost, I do that with bubble plastic.
So far, it has not been necessary, I think they can have a bit of frost. With me he's a bit out of the wind in a corner. (outside)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal