We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 134589 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2017, 11:29:20 AM »
Continuing on; a series of pictures of Leucogenes grandiceps showing part of the natural variation one finds in the field.
Shepherds Creek, Eyre Creek

587429-0

subalpine cushion field, 1400 m, Mt Burns

587431-1

morainic debris, Otira Valley

587433-2

South Hector Mountains

587435-3

Leucogenes grandiceps x Raoulia buchananii hybrid growing in Raoulia buchananii cushion, Mt Bee, Eyre Mountains

587437-4

I have had very little success growing any of the more interesting hybrids and I have not been able to keep L. grandiceps in cultivation. It is quite easy to grow from cuttings but does not last long in cultivation. In Otago and Southland it usually grows in crevices on rocky outcrops. However the plant from Canterbury (Otira Valley) is growing on glacial moraine.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2017, 09:11:43 PM »
Oh my God...

what for breathtaking nice plants, David. Everybody is unique.

It is really very interesting to see the different variations of Leucogenes grandiceps. I envy you to see such great plants in free nature. It is a pity that you have made till present still no success with the cultivation of these spectacular variations in your garden. Also with me some copies have died during the last weeks of L. grandiceps 😭. However, I do not know why. Now I have only two plants. Should you find sometime retime with your wanderings fresh seeds, I would be glad about a small taste very much. Maybe I achieve more success. 😉

Especially nicely I find the photo with the Raoulia buchananii. She counts for me to the top 5 with the Raoulias. Followed by R. exima, R. rubra, R. bryoides and R. grandiflora. These five kinds count for me to the nicest plants on this planet. They are inaccessible of course for me... like the holy Sangraal. Therefore, I am very grateful about these nice pictures and the helpful information... I did not know, for example that there are so different forms of Leucogenes grandiceps. Thanks.

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #167 on: September 02, 2017, 07:07:00 AM »
I found this in my photo collection. It is a hybrid that arose spontaneously in my garden. I think it is a hybrid between Anaphalioides hookeri and Anaphalioides bellidioides though I cannot be sure. It is quite a nice plant though no one seems to be particularly interested in it.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #168 on: September 02, 2017, 08:04:05 AM »
Hello, David,

a really nice plant. The colour and form of the foliage is great. And the full blossoms are brilliant. I know somebody who is interested in this beauty... I. 😊

Also the contrast between the silver colour of the plant and the great colour of the stones is exactly my taste. We presumably have many common characteristics. I also regret the missing interest in such plants. I believe myself here like Robinson Crusoe. 😉 I find really very good that you cultivate the home flora in your garden.

I hope you can admire this nice hybrid still long in your garden.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #169 on: September 02, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
One more question to you, David.

Almost all photos of the especially spectacular Raoulias are from above. How high do the single tubes become real?? For example, with nicest for me... Raoulia buchananii...and the others of my Top 5.  I have seen these plants, unfortunately, never "live". But my interest in the growth of these kinds is very big.

Thanks Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #170 on: September 02, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
Hello Thomas,

I have three photos of Raoulia buchananii
(1) plants growing on rock outcrops with Dracophyllum rosmarinifolium, Gaultheria crassa, Celmisia semicordata subsp stricta and Chionochloa rigida from Mt Bee, Eyre Mountains
587637-0

(2) Flowering cushion from, Hummock Peak , Eyre Mountains.
587639-1

(3) Details of flowers and cushion
587641-2

They form large cushions which are very compact and hard. The other ones that form large cushions are Raoulia eximia, Raoulia rubra, Raoulia mammillaris, Raoulia bryoides and Raoulia goyenii. They are  sometimes known as vegetable sheep because from a distance the large cushions look like sheep resting on a scree. Raoulia rubra is a North island species and Raoulia goyenii is found only on Stewart Island.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #171 on: September 02, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
Hello, David,

what for spectacular pictures. To the first photo there is a small history...

I know this picture already since some time. I found it sometime on the Internet. At that time I have myself immediately in the breathtaking scenery in the Mt. Bee falls in love. For me this photo is the symbol for the alpine flora of New Zealand. What has created the nature here is unique... for me. I see this photo since then every day... then is the start picture on my mobile PC. I did not know you this picture has taken photos.
I hope, I have your consent.

The best thanks also for the other information about the other big Raoulia kinds. I did not know the R. rubra a north island Species is. And R. goyenii I did not know at all. On the Internet there are of it great pictures... this kind has a very nice colour. 
From a compatriot of you I got not only seed of C. philocremna, but also some seeds of Raoulia mammillaris given. I am curious whether I with it success will have. I do not have such spectacular photos like you of course... today only one picture of Arthropodium candidum "Purpureum".

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #172 on: September 03, 2017, 12:06:56 AM »
Hello Thomas,

I do not think it is one of my photos; it certainly is the same place. It may be one of Dave Toole's photos. We often take pictures of the same plants when we are out together.

Here is a picture of Raoulia buchananii  growing on a rock outcrop at Mt Bee with Celmisia philocremna growing above it.
587709-0

Here is a picture of Raoulia mammillaris from Mt Hutt. I discovered I had wrongly identified it as Raoulia eximia  not realising it was a different species at the time.
587711-1

David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »
Hello, David,

again two very impressive pictures. What must be for happy moments to see such plants on site? These Raoulia mammillaris sees really fantastically from... particularly in the combination with the very nice colouring of the rock. These copies are presumably already very old. I think this these kinds (top 5) especially slowly grow... or?

I also suppose that these kinds are not to be cultivated in own garden. It is presumably impossible to create the conditions on it... and this is good in such a way. Such unique creatures belong in the nature. Isolates some ripe seeds infer, however, feels tempted still okay... I hope nobody this plant to dig out. They presumably stand also under nature conservation... I hope.

However, I would be glad personally, nevertheless if I have with the seeds of Raoulia mammillaris success. However, I still have no experiences with the increase of Raoulia by seed.

Hope dies at last.  ;)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2017, 08:16:57 AM »
Hello Thomas,

I do not think it is one of my photos; it certainly is the same place. It may be one of Dave Toole's photos. We often take pictures of the same plants when we are out together.

Yes it is my photo David taken in December 2010 ...

Thomas you are free to do whatever you like with my photo/s as I accept that once posted on any social media platform /internet 'it is out there'. I have no interest in trying to restrict usage in any way ..... :)

Here are some more images of Raoulia buchananii on the Eyre Mountains .

Mt Bee ridge line

and nearby in a cooler position a couple of cushions showing the green colouring.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:18:18 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
This time on another day at a higher altitude on the western edge of the Eyres.

Raoulia buchananii giving an impression of lava cascading out of and down rock.

Close up possibly accentuating the lava effect ......

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2017, 08:46:09 AM »
Finally in the next valley north of Mt Bee in rather dry looking country.The nearest water being quite some distance down in the stream bed to the right of the ridge line we were negotiating ...and already one of the party was low on liquid ... :o

X marks Raoulia buchananii and view

and a further10 minute walk onto bluffs to photograph hundreds of Celmisia philocremna.

Water at last !   ;D.......   

Leucogenes

« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2017, 11:18:14 AM »
Wow... I lack the words. Even more such pictures... and I thinks about an emigration. 😆 I ask myself like old these gigantic Raoulias are. The different colour of the rock is interesting also. And the picture in the water is delightful. 😂

Thomas

Ross McLeod

« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2017, 05:54:47 AM »
Fabulous thread this. Extraordinary pics and very inspirational. I'm in the process of building a rock/crevice garden and keen to get my head around just what the planting can consist of. Will Raoulia likely survive some blistering +40 C summer heat and humidity here in southern Oz? Relatively cool and benign for most of the year.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
Hello Ross,

Raoulias are plants that grow on stony riverbeds and rock outcrops. The large cushion species we have been discussing on this thread are alpine species (1200-1500 metres)  and are adapted to strong, cold winds and high evapo-transpiration rates that are characteristic of these environments. They would not be easy to grow in South Melbourne where I believe the natural vegetation is Eucalyptus regnans forest (the tallest tree in the world?). If you were embarking on a mission to grow Raoulias or any other high alpine species it would be essential to give them plenty of air circulation and light and make sure the roots stayed cool all the time.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal