We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand  (Read 132341 times)

Leucogenes

• ...keep on rockin in the free world
Re: alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »
Hi Dave,

I am curious very much if these interesting Celmisia with you blossoms. Then you must show pictures. Hokonui of alpine I know. They have very nice alpine NZ in the sales. I do understand this the plants overseas are sent. The way is too wide. Pity. There is also in UK a market garden them no online order makes. There are the most great things, but one cannot order them from Germany... This is very frustrating. ???  :'(
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:20:47 AM by Leucogenes »

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2017, 12:32:04 PM »

I am very much enthusiastically from the Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid ones. I suppose there a large part of Celmisia spedenii is present.

Thomas
Hello Thomas

Your comment above reminded me that I have a photo ,(which I've just located), of another Celmisia sessiliflora hybrid growing in the wild in close proximity to C.spedenii.Short silvery green foliage with a wonderful display of large flowers.
Whether it has some C.spedenii blood I'm unsure.

Cheers Dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2017, 04:34:51 PM »
Hello Dave,

a beautiful picture. The flowers are very large. Brilliant. In your place, I would go again to this place of discovery next year and reap seeds. Very nice, I also find the background with the Carex.
Thanks for this post ... I already know what I will dream this night ... ;D ;D

Cheers Thomas

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2017, 03:55:08 AM »
Hello Dave,

a beautiful picture. The flowers are very large. Brilliant. In your place, I would go again to this place of discovery next year and reap seeds. Very nice, I also find the background with the Carex.
Thanks for this post ... I already know what I will dream this night ... ;D ;D

Cheers Thomas

Thanks Thomas.

Although it's only 12 kms travel to the end of the access road then about 60 mins climbing from there to reach this plant and other different Celmisia hybrids unfortunately the road initially travels through an exotic pine plantation which I understand has resulted in the forest owners now restricting access because of Health and Safety Regulations .No travel during the week and only by foot Saturday afternoon and Sundays ...... Not sure I want to be carrying in gear for an overnight stay   :-\ ....... especially when in previous times I could ride my motor bike to the end of the road.

I'm exploring approaching from across the valley floor via farm land , a far shorter route ,however it would mean fording a river :-\ ,( I'm unsure how braided the flow is in that area), as well as obtaining the farmers permission ........

Something to 'work on' over winter . :)

Cheers Dave.   
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:57:30 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Leucogenes

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2017, 07:37:25 AM »
Hello Dave,

this sounds quite adventurously... cross of a river. There is the motto "the way is the aim" ... or you jump out of a helicopter and land with the parachute.  ;D ;D

But I think that it is worth this effort to visit this beautiful Celmisia hybrid again. Who already has natural hybrids of Celmisia in his collection. ;) I would be glad if a normal Celmisia would bloom with me.

You can be, in any case, gladly about the fact that there are with you still sceneries which are not to be reached so easily. There is this here in Central Europe hardly.

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:53:12 AM by Leucogenes »

Leucogenes

« Reply #125 on: July 09, 2017, 04:28:14 PM »
Here over again two topical pictures of Leucogenes grandiceps... In the enlargement one could think that the blossoms from candy floss are.  ;D

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2017, 12:07:06 AM »
I located these photos taken several years ago of a Celmisia hybrid (Clemisia viscosa x sessiliflora) from Mt Burns. There is a cushion of Celmisa sessiliflora in flower with Celmisia viscosa on the right. The hybrid is intermediate between the two parents. When a find a hybrid plant I look around and photograph the parents as well. Usually they are growing close by as in this instance where I was able to get everything in the same frame. It would probably make a nice garden plant.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »
Two very beautiful pictures, David. These would be really ideal plants for the garden. I have three specimens of C. sessiliflora ... but they have unfortunately never bloomed.

I think if I would go with to you  in the mountains, then we would not get far. I would stop at the first plant and admire her for hours.  ;D

Thomas
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:32:07 AM by Leucogenes »

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2017, 11:11:43 PM »
I think if I would go with to you  in the mountains, then we would not get far. I would stop at the first plant and admire her for hours.  ;D

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I have a friend who is interested in lichens. I can leave her at a rock and come back 3 hours later and she is still there. On the other hand when you stop  to take a photograph Mr Toole is about 3 ridges away by the time you look up -------
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2017, 07:23:05 AM »
Hello Thomas,

I have a friend who is interested in lichens. I can leave her at a rock and come back 3 hours later and she is still there. On the other hand when you stop  to take a photograph Mr Toole is about 3 ridges away by the time you look up -------

Now now Mr Lyttle !  ;)
You know my mantra ..' too many species not enough time '.

Cheers Dave.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:09:03 AM by t00lie »

Leucogenes

« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2017, 09:36:59 PM »
Hello David,

I needs once again your competent consultation... 😉

I have two copies of Raoulia glabra itself in the form of the inflorescences something make a distinction. The first both pictures are from a copy which I already have some years with myself. It grows very well and every year blossoms reliably. The third photo shows a plant which I have set up only last year in new New Zealand - area. Does it concern the same kind? They are very nice both, but I do not suppose with a copy the name is right. Or are there also with this Raoulia different variations?

Thomas

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2017, 05:49:53 AM »
Hello Thomas ,

Your second plant is Raoulia subsericea. It has the papery floral bracts which look like petals. In this respect it is different from Raoulia glabra. I am attaching a picture of Raoulia subsericea
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Leucogenes

« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
Hello David ,

what I would be only, without your help.

I had the same supposition... But now I have the confirmation of you. Very nicely... again a new Raoulia in my small collection. They differ really only with the blossom. I like the fresh green with some Raoulia very much. But the Raoulias are all fantastic plants.

Again the best thanks and a nice day.

Thomas

Leucogenes

« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2017, 05:18:05 PM »
Today ... Gentianella saxosa.  :)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2017, 03:09:59 AM »
Hello Thomas,

You grow NZ plants very well much better than we do in our gardens. You might like to see a photo of Gentianella saxosa in the wild. It was taken on the coast down near Invercargill where Dave Toole lives. Most of these coastal plants are now gone except in a few places and on Stewart Island.
David Lyttle
New Zealand.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal