General Subjects > Alpines

alpine and subalpine Plants from New Zealand

(1/157) > >>

Leucogenes:
I create a new topic, which the alpine and subalpine deals with the spectacular world of New Zealanders.
I hope there are many more people like these magnificent plants and look forward to your contributions, information and pictures ...

Hello David,

this Raoulia I bought as Raoulia lutescens. I have copies and have compared them. They really differ in color. The shown has a green / blue (turquoise) leaves and is very dense. All other R. lutescens with me are just green.

Maybe is after all a different style or a hybrid.

If you know a different name, I would be very happy.

Thanks and Regards
Thomas

Leucogenes:
here's a photo

Leucogenes:
... And so see the other R. lutescens with me all out.

Philippe:
What a great thread-idea!

I was just thinking to myself recently: most of the plants look now terribly awful: himalayan plants, Europe, north american plants, Caucasus....The rockbeds are definitely over now. Well it's fall, and all the plants just want to have their winter rest, with dry/yellow or brown leaves and stems, old seedpods...
There's just one bed, one single one, which is stil magnificient all around, or almost at least: the one with NZ alpine plants. Tidy plants, no yellow or brown, no dry leaves. I mean it still looks like high summer for the general aspect!

I grow 2 so called R.lutescens. One has really tiny tiny green-grey leaves with clearly yellow flowers ( rather similar to your second picture I guess, in foliage at least), and the other one looks rather like a condensed R.australis ( the first picture), not as tight as the first one, and foliage more grey.
And to confuse everything a little bit more, R.lutescens and R.australis are synonyms...
Needless to say I don't know now which one or if one of them at all is the true species.
May be that these are natural variations?

Here a link to identification key for Raoulia if you manage such things :

http://floraseries.landcareresearch.co.nz/pages/Taxon.aspx?id=_51089911-3c09-4c02-ba41-a9b03d8bff38&fileName=Flora%201.xml#_51089911-3c09-4c02-ba41-a9b03d8bff38

I should also take time to have a closer look on it for the different raoulias species which are doubtful.

And to stay in the spirit of the thread just one picture:

Aciphylla subflabellata together with young Carex ( comans or dallii, both selfseed in the bed), and Raoulia subsericea in the foreground. Picture taken in early august, and still looking similar right now!

Leucogenes:
Hello Philippe,

I completely agree with you. The NZ plants look all year fantastic. And almost all are endemic, makes them particularly attractive to me.

I love the pictures of your wonderful garden. I know you're a big fan of the flora of the southern hemisphere, and I look forward to our correspondence.

Here are two photos of my absolute favorites (Detail)

Thomas

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version