We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus October 2016  (Read 4969 times)

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
Re: Narcissus October 2016
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
You're both right! I had a net on the bed, but now all is finished I have taken it off and installed a sonic CatWatch device. We'll see how effective it is.
The bottom of the bed is fresh killed turf, then some old rotted turf. On top of that is some dirty gravel from the paths then clean spent bulb compost. The top 10cm is pure sand, topped with gravel. A right mixture, and not scientific.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
You're both right! I had a net on the bed, but now all is finished I have taken it off and installed a sonic CatWatch device. We'll see how effective it is.
The bottom of the bed is fresh killed turf, then some old rotted turf. On top of that is some dirty gravel from the paths then clean spent bulb compost. The top 10cm is pure sand, topped with gravel. A right mixture, and not scientific.

A week passed since you installed a sonic CatWatch device, Anne. How is it? Some people say it works well but others say it's just a rubbish!
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 12:54:53 PM »
I need to have one device at each end of the bed and both need to be working at full loudness to keep the bed clear. As soon as one lot of batteries fail the cats are digging. The batteries last 2-3 days then need recharging. It is a lot of effort. I have also bought some 'Silent Roar' http://silentroaronline.com - essence of lion - and have also applied that. Not sufficient on its own, clearly. I would like to use a rifle.  >:(

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 03:24:02 PM »
Anne, I think that the Rifle is a good idea, David was thinking of something similar. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   I have a big Dog that keeps vermin out of the garden including those that dig up flower beds. ;D ;D

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
I would like to use a rifle.  >:(
What about "cat avoiding mesh" instead, Anne? Set the spiny plastic mesh just under the sand surface. Probably some similar products are available in the UK.

David was thinking of something similar. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
I had thought of something similar, or netting beneath the gravel but it will be a problem if I want to replant, or dig about (=furtle in Yorkshire  )for labels etc. My latest idea is to use large sharp stones 5-8cm across and make a 'talus slope' appearance. I suspect the cats would not use this sort of surface, and the bulbs will not mind. Back to the net for now  :-\ :(

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »
I had thought of something similar, or netting beneath the gravel but it will be a problem if I want to replant, or dig about (=furtle in Yorkshire  )for labels etc. My latest idea is to use large sharp stones 5-8cm across and make a 'talus slope' appearance. I suspect the cats would not use this sort of surface, and the bulbs will not mind. Back to the net for now  :-\ :(

We could lend you the terriers  :-X
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
Are they Yorkshire?

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal