We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage March 2008  (Read 48003 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Flowers and foliage March 2008
« Reply #255 on: March 31, 2008, 08:34:51 AM »
Gerd and Kathrine, thank you for those pictures. Very interesting to see some plants
like Pulsatilla in nature.
No Sunday walk here, most of the day raining and at the moment still raining.  :( :( :'(
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #256 on: March 31, 2008, 01:54:36 PM »
Here is our sunday walk:

Kathrine,
Beautiful pics, nice Viola alba - (which doesn't grow here in the wild).
The Primula species is veris - see the large calyx.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #257 on: March 31, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
The Primula species is veris - see the large calyx.

Yes, I was wondering about it, but as I know P. veris is scented. This wasn't at all.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Gerdk

« Reply #258 on: March 31, 2008, 07:19:37 PM »
Kathrine,
You are right concerning the scent, but it seems there are exceptions.
According Fritz Köhlein - Primeln:
Primula veris is fragrant - seldom without scent
Primula elatior is usually scentless - very rarely a little fragrant

For me this is no problem - due to uncontrolled smoking (more than 30 Benson&Hedges daily - oh, what a taste! ;D ;D ;D) in my former life all flowers are
scentless - so for me scent is of no taxonomic value  :'( :'( :'(

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #259 on: March 31, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »
For me this is no problem - due to uncontrolled smoking (more than 30 Benson&Hedges daily

Oh, I see. Like my father...

Anyway, thank you. This seems to be an exception then. Otherwise it really seemed like veris. ::)
Zone 6

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #260 on: March 31, 2008, 10:25:39 PM »
Please don't take this as a lecture. It's not (though it should be - my father, a heavy smoker, had throat cancer twice and ended up with a laryngectomy) but I do think how sad it is that some people have lost their sense of smell, because of smoking. Every time I go outside there's something new to sniff at and my life would be immensely poorer if it were not for the hundreds of different flower and foliage perfumes, let alone the wonderful scents of earth and rain and the sea and roast pork and millions of others.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #261 on: March 31, 2008, 11:32:06 PM »
Please don't take this as a lecture. It's not (though it should be - my father, a heavy smoker, had throat cancer twice and ended up with a laryngectomy) but I do think how sad it is that some people have lost their sense of smell, because of smoking. Every time I go outside there's something new to sniff at and my life would be immensely poorer if it were not for the hundreds of different flower and foliage perfumes, let alone the wonderful scents of earth and rain and the sea and roast pork and millions of others.

This sounds like a new thread - favourite smells! (from the garden and elsewhere!). I have to say, one of my very favourite flower smells is the flowers of the common privet (Ligustrum vulgare). It's a scent that just shouts "SUMMER!!!" at me, especially on hot days, when the scent gets stronger. My maternal grandmother had lots of privet hedges and the smell of the flowers take sme right back to hot summer days in her garden. Personally I'm very glad I stopped smoking 15 years ago because my sense of smell has improved a hundredfold, which is a boon in the garden and when drinking wine, plus I might actually live to see my kids grow up.   
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #262 on: March 31, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »
Privet!! Cant stand the smell. Sorry
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #263 on: March 31, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »
Privet!! Cant stand the smell. Sorry

Lots of people can't stand it. It's a nostalgia thing with me. Like the sound of chickens. I love the sound of the chickens in the run a couple of gardens away as they remind me of my grandmother's garden with its large veg garden and chicken run.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #264 on: April 01, 2008, 07:28:17 AM »
I also don't like the smell of Ligustrum vulgare. :-\ But I understand your feeling, Martin.
My "nostalgia smell" that reminds me of summers at my grandparents (which were wonderful. :)) is the smell of animals like pig, cow, etc. And I like it! ::)

My favourite smell is that of the Syringa vulgaris. And also the smell of spring, maybe you know what I mean.
Zone 6

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #265 on: April 01, 2008, 07:42:19 AM »
Our garden is full of Viola now (some are scented, some are not), newer were so many like this year. Needless to say, nobody planted any of them.
Zone 6

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #266 on: April 01, 2008, 08:24:03 AM »
Wonderful sight Kata !  :)
Makes a change for a Crocus lawn  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #267 on: April 01, 2008, 10:40:27 AM »
On scents and smells, has anyone noticed that males and females smell differently - I think I should say interpret smells differently.
Cyclamen libanoticum has, to me, an appalling smell - it reminds me of experiments in Chemistry lessons to produce acetylene.  However, most women think it is a wonderful scent.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Gerdk

« Reply #268 on: April 01, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
Wonderful sight Kata !  :)
Makes a change for a Crocus lawn  ;D

Luc,  - what can be a lovelier sight than a meadow full of sweet violets?
 ;D ;D ;D
Kathrine,
Thank you for this magnificent pic!

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

« Reply #269 on: April 01, 2008, 12:08:55 PM »

Lesley,
I don't take your comments for a lecture! You are totally right and you particularize clearly what I'm missing now. Especially for a plant lover scent is an important sense - but what's past is past. I quit smoking 20 years ago and so I am contented to enjoy the clean air around me.
Today I can't believe what a crazy person I was - take it of sins of one's youth.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal