We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 17574 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
March 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:47:53 PM »
Howdy All,

March stuff!!  Will be posting some pics shortly.  :)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: March 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:06:59 PM »
These Zephyranthes candida aren't in my garden.  They're in a garden at a local nursery.  Get no care and attention, nothing special at all.  They get a bit of runoff from the road above them, but nothing in particular watering-wise either apparently.  Fairly impressive display, to put it mildly!!  I can barely flower teh darn things, but I haven't exactly been trying very hard to be honest.  Given the exclamations in one of the other topics about some in flower..... I figured this mass would be enjoyed by many viewers!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »
OOH! Yes, very nice display!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 12:53:06 AM »
And some more pics.....

The pale form of Colchicum cilicicum is always ones of the first to flower for me each year. 

I adore Cyclamen rohlfsianum with it's lovely twisted petals and unusual leaves.  Looks like I'll have a few of them flowering this year, so will be setting seed on them if possible.  Some nice leaf markings amongst them as well.

This yellow form of Cyrtanthus mackenii almost glows.  Took me ages to actually GET a yellow one as they usually ended up just the normal orange.  Doing well for me now, although I'd like to get some of the other colours such as the pastel pinks etc (I have white, yellow, and the bright orangey species type).

And lastly for now the Haemanthus coccineus is fully open, so I'm posting a pic from above to show the flowerhead.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
Nice pictures Paul. I've just sown seed of Cyrtanthus mackenii so if I eventually get one with the same colour as yours I shall be well pleased.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:13:13 PM »
David,

Do you already grow any mackenii?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
No I don't Paul, this is my first attempt at Cyrtanthus. It is part of my self- inflicted programme to have a go with as many Southern Hemisphere and North American bulbs as I can to eventually see how many I can get away with in my maritme climate. Most of my programme is from seed from the last SRGC Seed Ex, together with a few fairly common species (Ixia and Sparaxis) where I bought some fairly cheap bulbs and planted them last Autumn to see what would happen. So far they are looking good with about 6-8 inches of growth. I already had some Brodiaea (Triteleia?) Queen Fabiola that flowered last Summer and I left these in the garden to see if they would come up again. So far I have a very healthy looking clump with a couple of inches of growth. Maybe I will post a list of what I am trying from seed without boring everyone rigid.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 04:06:15 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 03:49:19 AM »
Some pics taken in the last day or two......

The Gladiolus montana is a relable flowering miniature species, only getting to about 8 inch tall.  Can't miss it flowering though as good solid pink.

The two Nerine species are the earlier types to flower here.  For some reason N. angulata which is always reliable doesn't have a flower as yet, so maybe it is just biding it's time this year?  N. laticoma has flowers about an inch wide, while N. masoniorum is closer to 1cm wide, but perfectly formed and ruffled.

The Sternbergia lutea are coming into flower more each day.  Nice splash of golden yellow in the garden.

And lastly is a small Wahlenbergia that grows wild here.  It forms little colonies and has long slender stems and these little flowers that are a bit over 1cm wide.  I have left some on my nature trip to grow and flower there, carefully weeding around them each year.  They are never going to get invasive, and the tiny blue-mauve flowers appear over a long time.  Rather cool really!!  8)

Enjoy!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 03:52:24 AM by tyerman »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

SueG

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 04:59:59 PM »
Hi Paul,
the Nerine laticoma has just gone onto my list of plants to look out for as I seem to be building up a collection of species nerines, but I'd not seen that one before as has the Gladiolus. Thanks for showing us them.
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:39:32 PM »
That is a super little Gladiolus Paul. You know the usual question :D :D And do you have a species name for the Wahlenbergia?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »
Sue,

No problemo.  Glad to help feed your Nerine addiction.  N. angulata and N. masoniorum are my favourite of the small species I think.

Lesley,

I am not aware of my G. montana ever setting seed, but I'll see if I can do some hand pollinating in an attempt to get it to.  I'll see if I can find out what the Wahl species is and get back to you.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 09:37:29 AM »
Great Pix Paul !
That Gladi has me droolin too..  so if there's a lot of seed.....  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 10:51:02 AM »
Thanks Luc,

You I can probably send a corm to if you want... I know that lesley's quarantine won't allow it though.  happy to send you one when they're dormant if you remind me.

Sue,

Here's a pic of the Nerine laticoma that I took today.  It shows it fully open, as the other one was still obviously only opening once you see it today.  Lovely little thing, that is for sure.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
Lesley and Paul,
  I think the Wahlenbergia species is W. sericea ,but I'm not a 100% certain.
  Whatever it is , it is a beauty, as are your two Nerine species ,Paul. I only grow  N.masoniorum myself. The Daffodil season has started here , with N. serotinus in bloom.
  Ciao Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 11:49:50 AM »
Otto,

Well I can always send you more Nerine species.... I just love them!!  :D  Wow, Narcissus already?  I have seedlings of serotinus coming along from Hans J. here on the forum.  I think every seed germinated and has survived.  This will be their third growing season I think.  I know it'll be a few more years until they flower, but I can dream.  If you get a chance to take a pic I'd love you (or Fermi) to post it.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal