We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula allionii Cherry  (Read 2298 times)

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
Primula allionii Cherry
« on: August 13, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
Can anyone please diagnose the problem with my Primula allionii Cherry? Some others have been affected to a lesser degree. I have re potted the plant just so I could double check for root aphid ( the " debris" on the leaves is compost from re potting 😳)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula allionii Cherry
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2016, 09:57:23 AM »
A sight I'm completely used to Lawrence. If you're sure it's clear of root aphids (which have been an absolute nightmare for me this year) it's normal for them (well it is with me) to loose some of their leaves during the Summer. I usually let them get pretty crisp before picking them off. Usually I finish up with a much reduced plant at the end of the day. How the good growers manage to produce some of the massive allioniis I've seen at the Shows defeats me.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lawrence

• Lawrence Peet Alpines  - pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »
Thanks very much David it's nice to know I am not alone! Some of my plants have also suffered from root aphid, Geoff Rollinson gives a half strength drench of  roseclear every month between March and October , so I must remember next year

suesimpson33

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
Good to read all this! Many of my plants are doing exactly the same.  Too wet, too dry, to feed or not to feed, too shady, too bright! No wonder I don't sleep very well!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 09:59:15 AM by suesimpson33 »

Graeme

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 09:55:01 AM »
not sure how strong a plant 'Cherry' is - the one I purchased this spring looks very sick - probably not a variety that will be around in 5 years time
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal