We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum  (Read 99537 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Tropaeolum
« Reply #465 on: October 04, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
Buds on my azureum but still some way off flowering. So far the seedlings from M.I. which germinated last year have not reappeared. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #466 on: October 04, 2010, 09:51:23 PM »

Thanks Darren, I think that's right, it definitely looks like hookerianum. I'm glad actually, that's another one that was on my wish list. The second photo with the darker colouring is actually the same group of flowers at an earlier stage. I had to go away for 3 days so took one photo before we left and on returning the group had all opened fully and faded out slightly. I agree, a stunning colour; I'm tickled pink.  :D  There are more buds expanding so it'll be blooming for quite some time I hope.

This years seedlings of azureum yet to even form flower buds, so fingers crossed.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #467 on: October 06, 2010, 11:22:55 AM »
You might like to know:
This quarter's edition of Curtis's Botanical Magazine (Volume 27, Part 3; September 2010) is devoted to Tropaeolum section Chilensia.
Single volumes can be bought from the publisher. (Wiley - Blackwell).

Jupiter

« Reply #468 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:19 PM »

Thank you Giles for the tip, I'm going to try to obtain a copy of that journal issue. There isn't much published on Tropaeolum apart from the massive volume of Flora of Chile (I believe).

Here is a photograph of my Tropaeolum hookerianum ssp. austropurpureum, to sustain all you Trop. addicts through the off season:

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #469 on: October 09, 2010, 11:00:22 PM »
OK, I'm excited!  One seed from the last SRGC seed exchange had germinated...and is growing wildly.  Have no idea what it is other than a hybrid and can't wait until we get some flowers.  Do you think I should pot it up directly into a larger pot with a sandy loam mix?  It is in a 4x4 seedling pot at the moment.  How much root run do they generally like? Manno, this is exciting.  My first seedling after trying for I don't know how many years.

Hi Jaimie,
Don't panic...Tropaeolum seedlings usually burrow quite deeply to reach the bottom of the seedpot and try to escape from the drainage holes. You can wait and check the bottom to see if there's any fleshy root appearing. At this stage you'll have 2 options: very carefully remove the seedling with its compost and repot it in a deeper container ( 10 cm deep at least ). 2nd option would be to carefully cut the bottom of your seedpot an put it into a deeper one. so that the root can find its way easily.
Tropaeolum root system develop long before the shoots. Especially for the Andean ones ( Tr Polyphyllum, Incisum, Sessilifolium... and these ones need much more deeper pots than the other Chilean species )

Good luck with this first seedling!
Lyon / FRANCE

KenP

« Reply #470 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
Hi everyone - new to this thread and VERY inexperienced with Trops.
I was looking for different climbers and bought some Tuberosum "Ken Aslet" and Speciosum seeds in September.
Potted the seeds and sank them in soil outside thinking that if I was very lucky some might germinate next spring.
To my surprise I have two Tuberosum seedlings already - one about 5cm high the other 3.
So my question is how do I treat these seedlings now?  Do I leave them outside over winter? Bring them into a coolish conservatory before frost?
Keep them wet (or dryish????).
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Ken

UK Midlands
Ken Partridge

Halesowen, West Midlands, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #471 on: October 12, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
Hello Ken and welcome to the SRGC Forum.

Up here in Aberdeen I think I'd be inclined to get the pots into a glasshouse, even unheated, just to give them a little extra protection over winter.... but since you have the pots plunged in the soil outside then it might be good enough to give a cover overwinter  to keep the worst of the wet and frost off them. A glass cloche or something similar.... they'll need some air, of course.

Some folks nearer your part of the country will have a better idea of how the seedlings may react, I'm sure.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #472 on: October 12, 2010, 12:11:03 PM »
Have to agree with Maggi there Ken, welcome to this wonderful world of gardening experience.  We grow T.'Ken Aslet' outside in East Anglia, I always bring a tuber in for insurance during the winter, but even last winter the tubers, in the shelter of a Garrya eliptica, survived.  A mulch would be well advised as the tubers will only be quite small.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #473 on: October 12, 2010, 02:40:52 PM »
Jean-Patrick,

thanks for the advice.  The root was already emerging from the pot bottom, so it was definitely time. Fingers crossed I can keep it alive and well.

Jamie
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

KenP

« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2010, 04:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Outside it is then - I have a cold frame so may put them in there. Still only 2 of the T. tuberosum germinated and none of the T. Speciosum  :(
Ken Partridge

Halesowen, West Midlands, UK.

Jupiter

« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »

The T.azureum I grew from seed have started flowering, 1st season, which I'm pretty happy about. The colour of these flowers is stunning, they are very dark purplish/blue, compared with my former T.azureum which was more pale blue. Anyone else noticed this variation in flower colour?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2010, 09:50:25 PM »
Yes, Jupiter, there is considerable variation of flower colour in Trop. azureum.
Some very pale blues are not nearly so attractive.
I haven't seen one as dark as yours... very nice!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »
Wow, Jupiter.  Congratulations on such an excellent colour.  I have seed down of azureum (I've been wanting to grow it for ages, so was very grateful to receive some seed last season), but no germination this year.  Hopefully it is just being tardy, and will come up next year.  I am keeping my fingers crossed. ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Jupiter

« Reply #478 on: October 23, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »

Paul, they can take ages, as you likely know, don't lose hope. Would you like some of my seed? I'm happy to post you some as I have spare.

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #479 on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:08 PM »
Here's a strange tropaeolum raised from seed last spring. It has obviously Tr Tricolor in its parentage.
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal