We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tropaeolum  (Read 99727 times)

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Tropaeolum
« Reply #345 on: November 12, 2009, 02:17:02 PM »
Well done Giles.  You have the credentials to start a trop germination niche business methinks ;) ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2009, 03:30:30 AM »
What a fascinating forum, especially for the Tropaeolum addicts, like me
As you can see, I am from New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere, where the Trops of course flower in the opposite season, but otherwise we grow the same species and they require the same cultivation/treatment.
No need to say that I love the Trops and I am blown away by all those exquisite species and hybrids grown by the various, experienced, knowledgeable tropoholics in this forum, the contribution, pictures and cultural notes/information by Ashley, Dora, Steven, Fermi, Jean Patrick, Erick, Jupiter, Michael, others, and not to forget Maggi ( I have to keep her sweet, might come in handy when I need some favours) ;D  ;D ;D
Anyway, for the members in this forum, I will show a few Trops that I grow successfully (have posted these pics elsewhere in Oct.flowering SH)
Will look forward to more postings, discussions, pics and information on this very interesting forum.

Trop. tricolor
 Trop.azureum
 Trop.brachyceras
 Trop.pentaphyllum
 Trop.pentaphyllum
 Trop.tricolor. brachyceras
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:36:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2009, 03:51:11 AM »
While on the subject of Tropaeolum species seed, I have just finished harvesting fresh seeds of Trop. azureum and Trop.brachyceras.
Anyone interested in exchanging seed especially the tropaeolums just send me a PM at daffodil@xnet.co.nz
I prefer exchange for obvious reasons, (I never knew there were so many beautiful species and hybrids) but If you have not got anythings to swap, (or have some seed available perhaps later in your NH season) don't worry, you're still welcome to some seeds.
Cheers,  Bill
BTW: there could be a few seeds with some minor interesting variations and colours of the leaves and flowers of the Trop.azureum.    
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:56:44 AM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
Maggi ....( I have to keep her sweet, might come in handy when I need some favours)....

Good way to "keep me sweet" and assist the system,  is to include the file names of pictures posted into the text of your post, Bill: that way the search engine can find them.  ::) 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:45 PM »
Bill, what an intoxicating vision - are these Trops all growing outside for you?
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43:15 PM »
Maggi ....( I have to keep her sweet, might come in handy when I need some favours)....

Good way to "keep me sweet" and assist the system,  is to include the file names of pictures posted into the text of your post, Bill: that way the search engine can find them.  ::) 8)

Thanks for reminding me Maggi, as usual you keep us boys on our toes and best behaviour. Most of the times  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:48:38 PM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

maggiepie

« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
Bill, your trops are beautiful, what wonderful colours.
The tricolor on the wall is stunning. Can't wait for my little baby to get some flowers.
Helen Poirier , Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »
Bill, what an intoxicating vision - are these Trops all growing outside for you?

Hi Robin, yes most of the Trops are grown outside, we are very lucky with our climate, ideal for growing the Tropaeolums.
The Trop.azureum often get special attention with hand pollination, and rewards us with plenty of seed.   :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:32:39 PM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
Hi Bill
In this fascinating forum there are some fascinating visions. Your photos are impressive. Yes, Tropaeolum species seem to do very well outside. Unfortunately in France we can only try some ( the andean ones and a few others ). You have quite an ocean of flowers!!!
Your Tropaeolum Brachyceras is very interesting because the flowers seem to really match SPARRE's taxonomic description ( with a SHORT spur ).
I put photos ( not as showy... ) of Tr Moritzianum ( many thanks Steven ). It's now indoors and doesn't seem to like it much. I hope to bring one cutting in LYON's BG where it will have chance of thriving.
I do like Tr ARGENTINUM flower buds: just pretty little elves heads...I can't resist...
Lyon / FRANCE

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:53 PM »
Bill, you're welcome  :D

J-P... I do love the frilly flower of Tropaeolum moritzianum ..... sweet thing and so bright.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2009, 12:00:24 AM »
Great pics as always, Bill,

Jean-Patrick, I love both the ones you posted, but particularly the fringed moritzianum.  This forum is a great place to see species we've never seen before. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

DORA

• DORA's HP
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »
Hi

Jean-Patrick,
your T.moritzianum is lovely. I've never seen both flowers of moritzianum and argentinum.
Do you have some seeds from your plants? I hope your plants keep good condition througohut winter and will have many flowers next season. Thanks to Michael I sowed some argentinum seeds, but there has seen no germination yet. I wonder it may start next spring.

I tried a cutting of T.smithii last month, but I failed. I've read again your comments and realized it didn't go well because of lack of "warm light".  I'll try once again next week. Because I'm in Nagano now, go back to Osaka this weekend. My T.smithii has some small flower buds and I'm very anxious.

Fermides,
I also had hybrid beuthii from SRGC seed exchange. It had odd shaped orange flower, produced a tuber, kept dormant one season,
awaked next season and had flowers, and keep dormant again this season. It's good that your hybrid has good flower shape.

Giles,
conglaturation! I'm looking forward to seeing your Trop. flowers next spring!

Hello Westwind and welcome!
I'm very glad to see you here. My plant are always small but yours are always big and beautiful.
Please let us show your pics more and more!

Bill,
your trops are stunning! I saw a lot of seeds and was overwhelmed. As Jean-Patrick wrote, the spur shape of your T.brachyceras
is interesting. Where did you obtain the seeds?

---
Many seedlings(T.azureum, brachyceras, lepidum) were below snow the day before yesterday. The snow melted next day and they were all safe.

DORA in Nagano
Emiko T.
Osaka (MIN -4C MAX 36C) / Nagano(MIN -15C MAX 29C)

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »
Bill,  your trops are stunning! I saw a lot of seeds and was overwhelmed. As Jean-Patrick wrote, the spur shape of your T.brachyceras
is interesting. Where did you obtain the seeds?
DORA in Nagano
Hi Dora, its great to see your enthusiasm and keen participation with the beautiful Tropaeolums in this forum.
The Trop.brachyceras I grow with the short spur, came originally from a good friend and keen bulb grower, who imported the seed from Chile, perhaps 20-30 ago.
Would you like to try some T.brachyceras seed? You are most welcome, the same for T.azureum, no exchange needed, .
Jean-Patrick would you like to try some as well? or any other keen tropoholics?
BTW: could/would any experienced growers perhaps comment on how fresh seed from our Southern Hemisphere would perform in your Northern Hemisphere condition?  The seed being fresh, when sown immediately would they germinate quickly?
Would that be an advance?  What do you think J-P?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:46:24 PM by Tecophilaea addict »
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #358 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33:20 AM »
How the devil can one man have so much seed on T. azureum? It's indecent!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #359 on: November 20, 2009, 12:44:56 AM »
While on the subject of Tropaeolum species seed, I have just finished harvesting fresh seeds of Trop. azureum and Trop.brachyceras.

Bill, if you were kind enough to tell me the size of that label in with the trop seeds, then I could add those photos to the " seeds to scale" ID project........ ::) 8) ( in metric length, if you would? )

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal