We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Tulipa 2010  (Read 68318 times)

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
Re: Tulipa 2010
« Reply #390 on: October 31, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »
Hello everybody, it is me and my questions again :)

I wonder if it is possible for an amateur like to have tulip hybrids? And I also wonder if any of you has his/her own hybrids?

Thank you

Of course, it is possible and not difficult to have your own hybrid, but you need to have a patience. You just cross two varieties, collect seeds and sow. In around 5 to 8 years the seedlings will bloom and you'll have your own hybrids. But if you want your hybrids to be accpted as varieties, they should surpass the existing varieties in something.
Thank you so much Zhirair!

Which groups of tulips are eligible to cross hybrids?
Division 1 - Single early varieties
Division 2 - Double early varieties
Division 3 - Triumph varieties
Division 4 - Darwin tulips
Division 5 - Single late tulips
Division 6 - Lily-flowered varieties
Division 7 - Fringed varieties
Division 8 - Viridiflora varieties
Division 9 - Rembrandt tulips
Division 10 - Parrot tulips
Division 11 - Double late or Peony-flowered varieties
Division 12 - Kaufmanniana hybrids
Division 13 - Fosteriana hybrids
Division 14 - Greigii hybrids
Division 15 - Species tulips(I think these are the natural source of first hybridizations)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #391 on: October 31, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
Zhirair, Luit and Sjaak,
many thanks for your replies and help for proper identification. Exciting news :o

My false T. albertii (bought in 2005 from M. Beyer in Germany) usual flowers mid of April in my climate. Never as late as T. sprengeri in May. My conclusion is then I should call my clone now 'nameless T. vvedenskyi hybrid'.

I googled a bit and found the web pages of H.M. Meeuwissen Voorhout  http://www.meeuwissenvoorhout.nl/UK/index_2.htm showing a picture of a (false) T. albertii and different types of T. vvedenskyi for comparison (when you scroll down and then right).

And, 'Darunok Irini' is a fine clone.
Best wishes
Armin

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #392 on: November 08, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
In case tulip lovers have missed the show of old English tulips, here is the topic link http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5434.0 which contains great pictures and a short article by the secretary of the Wakefield & North of England Society.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #393 on: November 11, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
In case tulip lovers have missed the show of old English tulips, here is the topic link http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=5434.0 which contains great pictures and a short article by the secretary of the Wakefield & North of England Society.

Frazer,

Thanks a lot this link. Unfortunately, I missed this thread, but owing to your message I very enjoyed this therad and wonderful photographs.

I do adore English florist tulips. When first I saw them in pictures, they didn't impress me seriously by their humble appearance. I didn't know they they are so so beautiful until I tested some in my garden and had an opportunity to see them in real. 2 years a go I got a present with English Florists' tulips  from my Ukrainian colleague. The following spring when they bloomed I just was blown away by their exceptional beauty. Their blooms were so harmonic and symmetrical, that they seemed to be artificial and made by an artist. To my opinion they are most close tulips to epitome of classic tulip.

Some photos:
'Talisman'
'Bessie'

Plus 2 Dutch breeders:
'Cardinal Manning'
'Wisconsin' (brown) (not be be confused with triumph tulip under the same name
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #394 on: November 13, 2010, 12:55:20 PM »
Zhirair,

Thanks for showing your super photographs which I'll share with the Wakefield Society.

I hope to get to the Wakefield Show next year and will post some pictures.

Frazer
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Boyed

• Vintage Tulips
« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »
Zhirair,

Thanks for showing your super photographs which I'll share with the Wakefield Society.

I hope to get to the Wakefield Show next year and will post some pictures.

Frazer

Frazer,

Pleased to know that my photographs impressed you. I grow 10 English Florists' tulip cultivars so far. And taking into account their exceptional beauty I intend to take efforts in getting all cultivars, which are in existence and which have their breeder forms. I am not indifferent to their broken forms and adore their magical beauty, but due to virus I don't grow them.

I thought several times to become a member  of Wakefield Tulip Society, but as I live far away and not able to become an active member and participate in the exhibitions I didn't apply for membership. But I have their wonderful brochure, which I got from a good friend from Sweden.
Zhirair, Tulip collector, bulb enthusiast
Vanadzor, ARMENIA

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal