We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arum hygrophilum to give away in Australia  (Read 911 times)

anita

Arum hygrophilum to give away in Australia
« on: August 04, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Hi folks,
Arum hygrophilum is doing a little "too" well in my garden. The original clump has massed up nicely but given my small garden it's taking more room than I can give it and even worse as it's now managing to hide blooms from me it's been setting seed and "volunteering" itself about the place.
I'm of a mind to dose it with glyphosate but it is, in its native habitat, on the IUCN red list - so I feel badly about the glyphosate.
If anyone in Australia is interested I'll wait until the plants die down and lift the tubers (?) and despatch them to you in a couple of months.
Sorry to all those reading elsewhere but I'm not too keen on footing the bill to ship kilos of Arum tubers o'seas - not to mention I don't know that I can ship IUCN red-listed stuff anyway.
Also anyone in Australia who is interested should not be near bushland. This innocent looking Arum looks like it could easily become another escapee joining the thousands of other mediterranean climate plants wreaking havoc in our bushland (Various arum, Olives, agapanthus, freesia, watsonia, gladioli, oxalis -  the list goes on an on).
Drop me a personal message if you are interested in some plants - and based in Australia - and in the suburbs.
Anita
P.s Arum palaestinum is doing pretty well here too and doing the self seeding thing... I guess it says a lot about the climatic zone where I'm gardening. Another one that I'll keep a careful eye on and warn people away from growing near bushland. I suspect birds must eat the ripe seeds as the plants (both A h and A. P are coming up metres beyond the parent plants and I cant see any sort of projectile mechanism mentioned for the species).
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal