We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Anne and Joe Spiegel's beautiful garden in New York State  (Read 8808 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Anne and Joe Spiegel's beautiful garden in New York State
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »
Thanks again Robin et al ... last batch for today ...

MORE FROM ANNE SPIEGEL'S GLORIOUS GARDEN

Yowsa, I poked my eye on the first image!  

Anne, is the Iris.jpg photo showing Iris cristata 'Dick Redfield'?
I have that Iris somewhere - not sure if this is it but looks so from the picture.  I know the thorns of the centaurea look lethal but don't you think they're incredilby decorative as well?

I can admire the beauty of spiny plants from afar; one of my gardening guidelines is not to plant spiny plants, I hate getting jabbed.  With my preoccupation with Epimedium there are some spiny-edge ones, the spines soft in fresh growth but becoming quite stiff and pokey when the leaves mature, so I do make some borderline exceptions.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

astragalus

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
I'll be one of the ones going to Wisley next year prior to the Nottingham Conference and I'm looking forward to seeing a new crevice garden there.
Not too much happening in my crevice gardens at the moment but one astragalus is starting to rebloom, and a late blooming eriogonum has just started.  Over three months with only one significant rain, sun, and high heat has inspired the westerners.  Apart from the humidity they might think they were home.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2010, 04:50:49 PM »
Not too much happening in my crevice gardens at the moment but one astragalus is starting to rebloom, and a late blooming eriogonum has just started.  Over three months with only one significant rain, sun, and high heat has inspired the westerners.  Apart from the humidity they might think they were home.

Nice ones Anne; I grew Eriogonum wrightii ssp. subscaposum years ago, and for me it grew almost like a small bonsai (the same way that some forms of E. thymoides can grow), a tiny upright twiggy bush, and cute but not overwhelmingly beautiful small light pink flowers that are spaced out in small sprays rather than the familiar pom-poms.  Useful in a trough, particularly for the late flowering.  Your Astragalus utahensis looking good there too, probably loved the heat and sun this summer!

Cool (cold) and overcast here, but still no dang rain!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

astragalus

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 12:00:20 PM »
Back from Nottingham and finally over jet lag.  Spring is starting here so I'm having two springs this year - how lucky is that?!!  It was a wonderful trip and Conference.  I took many, many pictures of the crevice gardens at Wisley and Pershore.  The first things to bloom in the crevice gardens are starting now.   The last picture is in the old tufa crevice garden,  the first crevice garden I built.

Phlox pungens
Petrocallis pyrenaica.
Eritrichium howardii
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:36:54 PM by Maggi Young »

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2011, 12:40:48 PM »
Magnificent, Anne ... and beautifully photographed!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

astragalus

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2011, 06:08:10 PM »
Thanks, Cliff.  The Petrocallis pyrenaica is growing in a natural crevice little wider than the width of a knife blade.  It took forever to prepare the spot and then to plant it, but the plant has survived extreme drought, sun, wind and deer.  Crevice planting seems to offer excellent protection.  No one would ever build such a narrow crevice but it has really worked in this case.  It was wonderful meeting so many Forumists for the first time on the pre-Tour and in Nottingham.  The Forum makes the rock gardening world so accessible.  I'm so sorry that the post-tour to Scottish gardens was cancelled, especially after hearing Ian Young's talk.  I would have dearly loved to see the Scottish gardens.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
Your little trio of plants are truly stunning Anne. Of course I drool over the Eritrichium yet it is the Phlox that really makes my heart race. :D I've looked at Petrocallis pyrenaica in seedlists and thought probably not, but now.... bring it on please. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

astragalus

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2011, 03:54:39 AM »
Lesley, the Petrocallis pyrenaica has never lasted long in a trough here but seems to be quite long-lived since being put into a tight crevice.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 03:09:22 PM »
You are lucky to have two Springs Anne - it's wonderful to see your tufa and crevice plantings looking so pretty - it's hard to chose a favourite but the Phlox pungens is such a lovely shape and colour nestled in its home.
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

astragalus

« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2011, 07:01:21 PM »
And what's really great about this western dryland phlox is that after blooming and taking a rest, it will repeat the whole thing.  Depending on the time of first killing frost itmight bloom as much as four times.  The repeat blossoming is not usually as heavy as the first one, but is quite nice.  Phlox kelseyi will also do this.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 04:13:33 PM »
For those wanting to know more about Anne Spiegel and her appearance at the SRGC Discussion Weekend - have a read through this thread to see what Cliff Booker thinks about her garden!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal