We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: megaherbs from seed  (Read 7031 times)

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
Re: megaherbs from seed
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 08:02:38 PM »
Ashley,

I'd already made a (largely abortive) attempt to look at Auleutian Island flora, prompted by your previous post.

Not really germane, but our local botanic garden does have a small collection of sub-antarctic plants. They're housed in a purpose built building designed to keep the temperatures cool and even (lots of passive measures like a teardrop-shape, insulation, being sunk into the ground, and only a skylight for illumination as well as the refrigeration). Stilbocarpa polaris fits the definition of a megaherb with large pleated leaves, whilst Pleurophyllum hookeri has silvery hairy leaves. http://www.antarctica.gov.au/magazine/2001-2005/issue-1-autumn-2001/in-brief/the-australian-antarctic-foundation-subantarctic-plant-house

Reproducing the 'look' would be relatively easy with veratrum's, tussocky grasses and the like - all heavily misted.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
Thought this might be of interest.... The sub-Antarctic islands are home to strange 'megaherbs  -article - and video for those able to receive it,  on the mega-herbs of Campbell Island :   http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20161216-the-sub-antarctic-islands-are-home-to-strange-megaherbs
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carolyn

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:05 PM »
Thanks for drawing attention to this, Maggi, an interesting article and video of an amazing place. Last year I got bulbinella rossii from the seedex. It has not germinated - not yet anyway. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who tried this seed. Even if it germinates, I'm not sure if Scotland is cold, wet or miserable enough for these megaherbs. Maybe it would survive in Shetland?
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

P. Kohn

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Hi Rosa

Good to see you on the Forum. We grew a couple of Anisotomes successfully at Kerrachar. Like you we failed with the supposed Bulbinella rossii from Plant World. Still growing Myosotidium back in Sheffield but plants in the Botanic Gardens pavilions (conservatory) got swamped after flowering and we haven't flowered it outdoors here though it flowered well at Kerrachar (though never as well as the plants at Inverewe in the shady corner of the walled garden). 

I seem to remember an article about the megaherbs which gave the latitude of Campbell Island as the same as Birmingham so I guess what is needed for B.rossii is wind and rain ?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal